odd behaviour...

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

eliam

odd behaviour...

Post by eliam »

Ok, as some know I'm intensely putting up a live act with my scope rig. I'm using the sts5000 and I encounter a weird thing:

For each song I program all the fx, volumes, behaviours, etc and store the project as a preset -thanks to fra77's wonderful device. Then everything reloads as it was when I recall the corresponding preset. It works wonderfully, except for 1 thing:
The sts5000 tells me "low memory" and seemingly randomly refuses to load some program. I only have a single sts program loaded at once, and those programs are not heavy on memory (the biggest has 30 megs), and often the one that won't load weighs 3 megs... go figure... If I reselect the same preset it properly loads then, and all this doesn't happen if I load the programs directly in the sampler from the browser, it happens only through the global preset change, OR if I manually load the patches from the pool (without changing global preset)... :-?

Of course this can't happen in a live context... I hope I won't have to ditch the sts for live use because of that...

Any clue anyone?
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

I dread using this sampler at live situation, how the hell do you cope with it
would like to know how you've tweaked it, can't even use it at home as it constantly crashes,

regards,

didier,
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

+1 :(
eliam

Post by eliam »

apart from what I mentionned the sts is behaving very well... I think I found my workaround: I'll load everything on it's own channel and simply switch midi channels from song to song... no need for patch changes... We'll see how it goes...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am happy to see you coming along w/ STS 4 live work.

Have you tried Shroomz or Wolf's MPC's yet?

They work well for when you need to change a samplers preset w/o any changes in the Project Preset List, which I agree, is a life saver of a device.

Take a step sequencer w/ 256 steps and zip through the presets for motorized faders all inside of Scope !! :D

There is just so much developement and support for Scope w/ SDK guys, 3rd Party developers, and let us not forget the guys in Seiburg, who must be drinking 12 pots of coffee everyday to bring us Version 5.0 / XITE-1. :wink:

I tried to send you a request at your MySpace site, but nothing happened.

Hope you get things going the way you want.

Onstage controllers should handle everything you need to perform live w/o having to touch your mouse.

To Us, And Those Like Us.
eliam

Post by eliam »

Yes, the mpc is a true life-saver for live use! I'll be relying on it very much! Now I take break from my concert project to do the very last tweakings on my new album! Yahoooo!!! I'm pretty much there, I pushed it as far as I could before going to mastering... A nice album my friends, full of Light and Hope, with pretty rich texturing and orchestration! You'll hear it soon!
dubcotics

Re: odd behaviour...

Post by dubcotics »

To Eliam and brotha Jimmy,

how do you guys deal with midi stuck notes, there's nothing I can do when it occurs as the computer freezes and I have no choice but to resart it :x

regards,

didier
eliam

Post by eliam »

hmm... I don't experience stuck notes... You can check for midi loops inside your software setup and also verify your midi cables and physical connections, try switching/disconnecting cables and controller if possible, and observe if there's an improvement. Like that you can troubleshoot and figure if it's HW related or not...
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,

thanks for your reply, think I might have sorted out the stuck notes by desabling windows firewall :)

I shall make more test,

regards,

didier,
dawman

Post by dawman »

Wolf's MIDI Tool Box has a software panic button module that can be named, and used 16 times if you desire.

Make sure that your CW MIDI Filter is getting rid of the Active Sensing too. It is a worthless feature that should stay on hardware items not software, but it needs to be filtered out in any case.

I use MIDI Hardware patchbay and panic buttons also just to make sure. The panic bttons can be set to suto and they also clear the pipes w/o having to hit the soft panic button. Very sweet.

I hate USB MIDI so I go the PCI way to avoid that hassle.