Loading/auditioning samples quickly from the STS5000 GUI

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

Loading/auditioning samples quickly from the STS5000 GUI

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Have had my Creamware setup for a couple of years now but only just started giving the STS samplers - in this case the STS5000 - a try this weekend.

I want to use the STS5000 to load samples so that I can create my own drum kits. I often like to go through various folders of samples that I have stored on my hard drive, often whilst a sequence is playing/recording. This way I can hear how well a samples work with that track and/or how it works in a layer. To do this with other software/hardware, I just load a sample from a directory and then skip backwards and forwards through that directory auditioning samples. By being able to audition samples quickly and easily as a track is playing I would often find myself layering different samples to create a particular sound.

This is the one major stumbing block that I have found with the STS5000 as it seems that the only way you can load samples is by dragging them from the File Browser. :-?

I would really like to be able to skip through samples in a folder directly from the STS5000 GUI - preferably from the Key Group List under the Sample column.

How do other users feel about this?
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi,

Afak , that's the only way of loading the samples , you'll have to get used to it that way as I don't thiink they'll any update . :-?

regards,

didier
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Yep but for example you can use any browser with audio preview and drag samples inside. For example my FL Studio file browser is auto. previewing sample and then i can drag it inside STS. Programs also. Find some file browser with preview and that can help a little.
hesnotthemessiah

Thanks for the info chaps. :)

So all I can do to audition samples is either drag samples from a browser, or trigger them from within a browser? Then it looks like I won't be using the STS5000 as my main drum sample player for now. It's no good to me if I can't go through my samples quickly and easily whilst my creative juces are flowing, triggering them via midi, so that I can hear them in the context of a track. :-?

I am amazed this is not possible with the STS5000! :o Don't other people use samplers to create drum kits from various different samples that they have stored on their hard drives? Aren't hard drives so big and samples so plentyful and freely available that people have loads to choose from when creating their drum kits? Doesn't the restriction of not being able to skip through your sample folders quickly, auditioning samples in the context of a song, seriously limit the STS5000's use as a creative tool?

I often find that I have my sequencer playing various synth parts whilst recording a midi drum track. Whilst recording the midi drum track, I go through my samples, often creating layers of samples (using various fx samples, samples I have recorded myself or just plain old drum samples), triggering these samples and creating drum patterns. In this situation I will ofen find mself using samples (such as a fridge door slamming, someone on the bus coughing etc.....) layered with other samples that work great within a track. This would be far less likely to happen if, every sample I wanted to audition, I had to drag over from a browser so that I could trigger it from the STS5000 or I had to trigger the sample from a browser. It's one thing auditioning a sample from a browser and actually being able to audition a sample by trigger it from within the actual sample player itself.

Surely being able to load a sample from a directory and then skipping backwards and forwards through that directory auditioning samples from within STS5000 would be simple to implement? This feature is standard on most (if not all) current non-Sonic Core compatible sample player plugins and hardware isn't it?

I can't find any Sonic Core compatible sample players that allow you to load a sample from a directory and then skip backwards and forwards through that directory, all from within it's own GUI. All seem to have to use the "drag samples from a browser/trigger samples from within a browser" methods. :evil:
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

I cant audition my samples when using the emu ultra either...
. but i will never change it out for any software... :). I have learned to live with it.

On OS X i use the preview function (spacebar on os 10.5), it works great.. when i find the samples i like.. i copy it out to a folder that i import to the sampler. compared to how it was working with battery (which i was using before), its pain in the ass.. but the sound is worth the work!

The STS5000 has a great sound and good filters!.. i tried to use it before i got the emu, but was haunted by hardware lockups (on windows), so i got an Emu..
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

with open filebrowser and open zonepage just drag and drop the wave whilst playing!
and you can listen to the new sound within your song with filters with effect and so!
just needs a few second to load depending on the lenght of sample
thats for me better than hearing it out of contend in a browser;
if you want to add new sounds create a dummy program -> load and play;
the only advantage with the other methods is that its faster loading course it dont load the whole sample bevor starting to playback_;
but maybe i dont get your point;

good vibes
hesnotthemessiah

tgstgs wrote:with open filebrowser and open zonepage just drag and drop the wave whilst playing!
I tried that but got frustrated with the dragging and dropping plus my arm started to complain after a few minutes!

Just started playing with Wavelength's drumVOX which is fantastic!! :) I loooove Wavelength's stuff :P Looks like I will be using this for most of my drum sounds for now rather than using sample players. I think I will just stick to Kontakt or DR800 (which also has great drum modules and fantastic GUI) for drum samples.