I have Kontakt 3 - any point in using the STS5000?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonicstrav

I have Kontakt 3 - any point in using the STS5000?

Post by sonicstrav »

Does the STS5000 have ANY advantages over a capable sampler like Kontakt 3 and how damaging is the phase-bug?
Last edited by sonicstrav on Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Kontakt 3 can do this.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

sts-5000 can sample.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

piddi wrote:sts-5000 can sample.
This is my bug bear with all VSTi samplers - most of them don't actually sample. i like the immediacy of routing the source into STS, hitting record, editing then playing the sample, not recording into some other software that i have to use then importing into the sampler (or an editor first). What a faff. They're just sample players really.

Just wish the STS interface was a bit better (maybe Scope 5?).
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

And I hope STS will be more stable. :evil:
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

i wouldnt use sts5000 i personnaly dont like any of the sts samplers. I do realize kontakt is only a sample player, but i think its still worth it. The way you use the sts samplers is just not very intuitive.. I would record in my host (cubase etc), open up the recorded sample in kontakt and tweak...

just my opinion..
eliam

Post by eliam »

sts samplers have their own sound, the filters are quite differrent from kontakt's, my impression is that even without any filters engaged they sound different. the sts sounds super hifi to my hears. Different tools, different workflows, I think the scope samplers are serious, worthy tools for our arsenal, well worth digging into. that's just me... some just don't like them at all, personally I do like them
Lima

Post by Lima »

I like the possibility of integrate the STS in the project. Plus I've done some libraries for quick tasks (someting like a general midi bank).
They sounds very different with different effects and the possibility to have all embedded in the CW environment gives to me the possibility to test different combinations of sound preset and different effects (with the Multifxslot) in a moment.
I like the formant shifting and the robot mode too.
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I'm wondering - if I get a sample library such as Hang Drums, http://www.soniccouture.com/pages/hang.php# , that are supposedly optimized for the resolution that Kontakt is configured for - would it be worth it to use a translator to change the Kontakt format into a more STS_friendly format - what would happen?

I'd prefer not to have to buy Kontakt just to play these samples.

I already have other sample players such as Independence that I hardly use, but would like to get back into using the STS5000 again.

Anyone done this?

Thanks,

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
hubird

Post by hubird »

there's a AKAI-to-STS or Halion-to-STS converter if I'm right, but I don't know where you can find it, some will tho :-)
Nothing to convert from Contakt extensions I'm afraid.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys :-)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

hubird wrote:there's a AKAI-to-STS or Halion-to-STS converter if I'm right, but I don't know where you can find it, some will tho :-)
Nothing to convert from Contakt extensions I'm afraid.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys :-)
I know about Chicken Systems translator, but haven't heard back from them yet.
http://www.chickensys.com/products/tran ... slator+Pro

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3