New User having trouble finding sampler

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Dekkie

Post by Dekkie »

Hi all,

Just installed my Scope Home 4.5 and I am unable to locate the sampler in the VST Instruments list in Cubase.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong :smile:
valis

Post by valis »

Your STS samplers appear in the main Scope app, unless you're using XTC mode (in which case I think u may have to use the dll hack to use the samplers as VSTi?--not sure).
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi,

in order to use the sampler as a VST , you must use the volksampler for that, STS does not work in XTC as far as I know,

cheers,

ps: but if you use a keyboard via usb, all devices act like VST via midi from your sequencer,
Dekkie

Post by Dekkie »

...and all this is supposed to mean something?
I have NO idea what you are talking about... newbie here :smile:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

First things first, are you using SCOPE mode or XTC mode? SCOPE devices don't work in Cubase, although in XTC mode they do appear in Cubase (but they're still on the SCOPE card DSP).
Dekkie

Post by Dekkie »

..... how do I tell (and what is) the difference?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Mmmmm... I would strongly suggest you first read the manual a bit at least and load a couple of differents examples projects provided in your install folder.

Try to understand what happening in those examples projects first...

Then come back with more precise questions, that would at least help us help you :wink:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well if you don't know i'll assume you're using SCOPE mode as this is the default mode - you have to select XTC mode in the settings. Do you launch SCOPE and get the blue project page? You'll see one of the drop-down menus at the top saying Samplers - click on it you'll see all the samplers, just drag one into the project.

i know it can seem a bit daunting but you're really going to have to read the manual (even if you don't take it all in), try and understand the basic concepts and then come back here armed with more understanding.

You will enjoy SCOPE once you get it going.

Mr A
garyb

Post by garyb »

as i say to all the newbies, use scope mode. this is not a normal windows sound card. for that there are lots of crappy soundblaster and m-audio cards. this is truly a studio in the box, virtual reality. it does lots of different things for you when you see how it works.

there are a couple of basic concepts:
the LIVE BAR is the small window with "file" and "set" menus. it is the controller for the environment. settings are found here as well as the ability to manage connections. in the "set" menu you can enable the ROUTING WINDOW. the routing window is all you really need to take advantage of the cool things scope can do. here, there are menus for devices and harware and software connections. you can connect devices and in and out ports for the card and cubase and any other software in realtime. you can manipulate audio and midi in realtime. you can stream any software into any other software or external hardware in realtime, you just need to draw the appropriate cables.

there are two choices for audio drivers(a driver connects software to hardware and vice versa) wav and asio, and several choices in each. you may have as many wav drivers as you like and you can mix types(16bit, 24bit). asio drivers, however require that you choose one type and you can have only one instance in the routing window. asio drivers can have up to 64 ins and outs so that's not a problem.

with cubase you should use asio drivers. i would remove the default instances in the starting project(open the routing window and you'll see) and replace with asio2 24bit, but that's me...in cubase's vst setup for audio choose "asioscope". whatever driver you wish to use, you must have it in the routing window BEFORE opening cubase, and cubase MUST be closed before you close scope. you are free to add devices and change rounting while cubase is open EXCEPT you cannot add or remove asio source and dest modules nor change the number of channels while cubase is open(you CAN change cabling, however. when you open cubase it looks to see how many ports are available and it configures itself accordingly). the same is true for the sequencer midi source and destination modules.

the asio modules and seq midi modules represent the actual jacks in and out of cubase, as though cubase were a hardware unit. cubase treats the sts sampler as though it were an external module. if you can connect a sampler to a keyboard and a mixer and a tape deck easily, this software is a snap. the idea of what's going on is the hardest part.

now read the manual. it should be on the "?" menu on the live bar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2006-03-29 10:29 ]</font>