STS 5000 rocks. No, really.

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

rounser

Post by rounser »

For all the complaining about STS, I don't think many of you have scratched the surface of what the STS 5000 is capable of. I know I wasn't, but over the last week or so I've been completely and utterly blown away by the thing.

Total control over time and pitch(!!!)..."instant vocoding" in robot mode with mono/legato activated (sounds like autotune)...autochord + pitchshift + vocal sample = DIY vocal harmonies...phatten up percussion with pitchshifted "chord snares"...tighten or loosen up anything from bass to kicks with timeshifting...

Seriously, hook this thing up to something simple like Sonicbytes ERA, and have a play. I'm considering ditching everything for the simplicity of STS 5000 + ERA, because with a bunch of samples (sourced from VSTs multisampled through Chainer, for instance) there's not much this simple setup can't do...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rounser on 2005-06-30 20:26 ]</font>
wayne

Post by wayne »

Yeah, I reckon the 5000 is a great axe :smile:

People are very picky about their samplers - it doesn't suit everyone it seems.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I find it exceptional, expecially for making choirs from a single voice...not only it has formant correction that makes for example a female voice (or male) really spreadable, but you can make different keyzones with the same sample shifting also the formant of some of them in order to have a female + a male voice, both then formant corrected in their own range....fantastic...
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

aw man what have you done, now i have to buy this thing
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Maybe a 'tutorial' from the STS masters under this forum would be useful..?

Royston
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

But is the phasing problem a big deal? I must admit I've never bothered with the STS-5000 as I have Kontakt 2 but is there anything the STS is better at than Kontakt that I could give a try?
cream

Post by cream »

I think the sts-5000 is an amazing sampler. However the phasing issues when playing stereo samples is unacceptable for me. Some users don't have these problems, some users have.
It made me buy an akai s6000 which made me more happy.
hubird

Post by hubird »

Maybe Creamware will solve this issue once, as they should know that the top sampler of the house is kind of a visiting-card, these days.
Phasing problems shoudn't have to happen, it's bad for a good image.

We just have to discuss then what's first, OSX or phasing problems :wink:

edit: Btw, I don't use my STS (4000) :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2005-09-15 18:44 ]</font>
valis

Post by valis »

Just thought I'd add something here...Emu users have long known that the more recent versions of the "RFX" expansion card OS's are rather buggy and user 'older' versions due to pan reset errors and phase issuesin the final version(s). Just for some perspective. :smile:
hubird

Post by hubird »

That's even more than serious... :grin:
RoonSmits

Post by RoonSmits »

On 2005-09-15 19:33, valis wrote:
Just thought I'd add something here...Emu users have long known that the more recent versions of the "RFX" expansion card OS's are rather buggy and user 'older' versions due to pan reset errors and phase issuesin the final version(s). Just for some perspective. :smile:
That's why I have expanded my E6400Ultra to the max, but without the RFX32 card. I use SFP to add my FX to the sampler's audio :grin: Best of both worlds.

cheers
Ronald
P-IV 3,2Ghz pc/Pulsar II/Luna II+ADAT exp./breakout box/PowerSampler/Logic 5.5.1/Yamaha CS1x.