STS Crashes

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,
I'm experiencing a rather disturbing problem here with the STS series. I have all of them and they all behave alike.
The problem arises when playing the sample, e.g a drum ensemble. It's frustrating when playing a nice piece of drum and all of the sudden every thing just freezes accompanied wiht terrible feedback noise. I've never experienced that on Win 98, whereas in Win xp it occurs all the time. Before turning up here for some help, I had tried everything, so does anyone experience the same thing or should I go back to win 98, as it's the only stable platform, as bugs between STS and Win xp haven't been sorted out yet, sad because the STS is a good sampler, I mean it sounds better than any sampler out there, but what's the use if it does not work.
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi to all,

I'm glad that no one is experiencing my problem, as no one has turned up with a solution yet. However, I've managed to fix it, well I hope it's fixed, as I haven't experienced any STS crash for a couple of days now. I've solved the problem by disabling my internet adls connection , somehow there's no more crashes, well I cross my fingers and hope it won't happen again, now my internet connection is hooked on my old computer, I thank you all for your interest, tho you didn't feed me back, but at least you were interested in kwnowing what was going on, again cheers fellas.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

....which brings up the conclusio tha there was a problem with your network/ soundcard PCI ports maybe :smile:
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi,

could be, tho the internet connection was hooked via USB, perhaps that could have troubled the PCI and stuff, cheers anyway for your interest.
at0m

Post by at0m »

hey dubcotics,

I'm having a similar problem for long. Loading any STS, or sample osc in modular, usually first pops up a memory error, then goes for a blue screen. Had written a lenthy reply w history here once, but the tab got closed with a browser crash. Anyways...

I removed some other PCI cards and disabled onboard audio and USB. The blue screens are gone, but SFP does still close down with such popup from time to time. Maybe time to re-arrange my DSP cards a bit.

For the rest, with USB, onboard sound, firewire and LAN pci card, this pc is rock solid. I just don't use much STS with it eh. Would be nice to drag 'em out of the window from time to time tho, would love to play with STS5k's formant shifting some more!

take care,

at0m.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Hello friends, the sts makes big trouble with my new computer. During working with it - dragging samples to a new sts-program, fiddling with the adjustments or simply playing music - sometimes and without a warning my computer reboots. Of course the adjustments and the non-saved sts-programs are lost. Very annoying!
Also, during playing with Cubase, a terrible loop begins and the system freezes completely, only pressing the reset knob helps.
My new system: P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, P5 AD2-E MoBo, winXP, Scope Pro. Should be a very fine system.
Is it possible that sts doesn't like winXP? With my old system under win98 it NEVER happened.
Or is it related that I still work with the old Cubase VST 5.1?

Cheers, Thomas
rounser

Post by rounser »

Yup, I'm having problems with it too. Removing my second graphics card and putting the pulsar in a PCI slot where it has an IRC of it's own seem to have helped, but I haven't really had time to test-to-destruction whether it's made a difference.

Please let me know your experiences, don't want to give up the STS5000!
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

clean instalation of system.
standard pc
i fixed it this way.
i can load now all samplers together.
i can raise polyphony to 64 easilly.
:wink:
Janni

Post by Janni »

hello arcadios!
Is it still stable?
no crashes?
Cheers,
Jan
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi,

no crush at my end either after new installation,

cheers,

didier,
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

sorry , meant crashes
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

sts seems to be very stable.
it is rock solid compare to other applications that play samples.
instability comes out of irq sharring problems mostly, and ram issues of xp(ram is not very stable in xp).
i suppose that there must be a solution to that instead of restarting pc.
any recommendations on how to keep ram in good condition?
gustav

Post by gustav »

as reported on other posts, I encounter this sts - XP problem since 6 january (P5WD2 - P5 830 - 4GO Corsair - all onboard devices disabled).
If this is caused by bad memory management of xp - is there a way to make some tweaking to get it more stable ?
Zero Creative Music

Post by Zero Creative Music »

Hi,
As I thought there was a problem with my new MB, I was already talkin in the TechTalk topic. (http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21482)

But this problem seems very simular to mine...

After my old PC (P4B 3.2GHz) crashed last december (after a couple of years great performance), I decided to get a new asus MB (P5B / E6600 Core 2 Duo).

Directly the system hung from time 2 time. I did'nt knew what it was, as it only happened when my seqencer was running (cubase SX 3.1)
Sometimes it works good for one day, other times it crashes after an hour.

Today I have loaded an older project, with a STS3000, 4000 & 5000 included.
Each time i loaded this project, it crashed within 10 minutes (only when the sequence is running).

Then I noticed that it must be the STS samples. I deleted them, and the sequence looped (till now) without any problems.

I'm using:
-Asus P5B with an Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo
-3x Scope Pro
-AMT8 Midi I/O (Active sensing filtered out already ;-))
-Cubase SX 3.1
-WinXP pro (SP2)

I have allready reinstalled as Standard PC, but this doesn't help.
I have tweaked all bios functions, but this doesn't help.
The system is NOT overclocked (I have even tried to downclock the whole thing!)

Or I have to get an old P4B somewhere or maybe it's time for the new all OS supporting PCI-Express INDSP cards???

Grtz Tom.
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi there,

I have exactly the same set up as you. However, I don't experience what you're going thru, everything runs rock solid at this end, I 'll try the sampler and let you know ,

cheers,

didier,

pd: forgotten to mention that I only experience crackling noise when recording thru wavelab 5.
Zero Creative Music

Thnx
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Same problem. STS works for a while.. but often hangs during looping in cubase. The u know 007 works without hanging.. so.. i figured it could be the sts.

Running win xp on a intel duo core with 1gb ram.

rgs
Egil
Zero Creative Music

I'm uninstalling all my windows updates at this moment....

Might have something to do with it...

Have you turned auto updates on?
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

i have experienced some of the same. The uknow 007 works with out any problem.. But when i start working in the STS5000 i usualy get hang after some time..

But if i use some soundbanks.. i can use it for a good amount of time.. as long as i only play notes.. and are not doing anything advance.. but its not 100% safe that either..
Zero Creative Music

For Sure!

After a period of crashing all the time I have bought the NI Kontakt. And i only work (for samples) with audio and kontakt now.

NO MORE HANGS!

I still use a lot of (other) creamware synhs etc...
But the problem realy is inside the STS series.

So no more STS for me.