Kontakt 2 announced - why bother with the STS?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I purchased the Scope Pro which has the STS samplers - I've never bothered with them as I have Kontakt and now that Kontakt 2 will be coming out (which looks awesome) I can't see why anyone would bother using the STS series - they are so clunky and old and the STS-5000 is useless anyway because of the 'phase-bug'.

Either Creamware should come up with something great to replace the STS series and bring 'em up to date or let them die and concentrate on what's best - their synths.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Simply agreed......
braincell

Post by braincell »

I think the Creamware philosophy is to do a little bit of everything.

It's a small company so change is slow. I would love to see an emphasis on samplers, especially if they could do something original and not just emulate the ancient akai sampler! I don't know what the priority of the STS series is but surely they are falling way behind other sample players.
cream

Post by cream »

I really prefer to do everything within sfp so i'm really hoping cwaudio will surprise everyone and come up with a revolutionary sampler.( Or just one that works as it should would do fine for me actually);)
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I asked NI today what sample library/ies (if any) would be included with Kontakt 2.

FYI, their reply:

"Dear Royston,

a detailed description of the included sample library will be published at the website soon.

best regards

Jan Klemm"

Royston
valis

Post by valis »

Sampling will not be the forte of Creamware dsp cards anytime soon (barring a hardware update with a large pool of ram or a major focus on pci-e and motherboards that have multiple pci-e busses). Sound quality is on our side but you simply cannot compete with the cpu's access to ram.
hubird

Post by hubird »

I guess that's true :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Yes they sound great and I don't see why they can't have a better (and larger) interface and some original options that no other samplers have. A lot of things can be done if you think outside the teeny tiny box.