STS 5000 -newbie- is it buggy- how to use phase fix

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I've read that the STS-5000 doesn't work properly unless you use the phase fix thing- where do I put it and how do I configure it?
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

The phasefix solution, i am guessing, is used to line up one channel of the stereo sample/output with the other channel resulting "cancellation" of the phase shift that the STS series has created between two channels of a stereo sample.???

Except, when I experience the phase shift problem, I have found that it is not consistent. One of the channels will be delayed *on occasion* causing a phasing effect when listening as mono or a modification of the stereo image when listening in stereo.

A fixed phase shift to try a rectify this problem wouldn't work because the phase shift doesn't happen all the time (well, at least in my case).

Do others experience something different to me? (are your phase shifts consistent?)
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

deejaysly, unfortunately you're right. I was the one who was so glad about the phase fix in the other topic. Later I found out that the phase problem is intermittent indeed, so not every keystroke has that phase difference. therefore it's no use to use this phasefix. I still use the STS (as less stereo samples as possible), but I'm definately not happy about this problem :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChampionSound on 2004-11-23 20:45 ]</font>
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

Well, atleast i'm glad it's not only me that has this problem.

I, too, have to result to using mono samples!

This means that the STS series is not really useable. You will probably also find that you get the same problem with ANY device capable of playing wav samples like the sample players as, I guess, they all use the same bit of code (that CW probably created).

Looking at the date stamps in the SFP V4 zip, i am guessing that you would experience the same problem with the STS series in SFP V4. Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't registered for SFP V4 because, I assume from the posts I have read, 3.1c is still the most stable version.

It's really crap if CW are NOT working on solving this already as, from what I can also make out, a few people have already been "bugging" CW about this problem.

Awaiting a fix.......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deejaysly on 2004-11-24 08:48 ]</font>
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I've e-mailed CW tech support about this just now
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

Thanks strav. Let us know if you get a reply.

What's the chances.....?
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

@strav100 : Did you get any reply from CW?
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,
the bug is also elsewhere, STS 5K behaves strangely on Scope 4. Sudden freezing when playing the sample for example. So there's something between Scope 4 and win Xp, somehting that needs to be sorted out, dunno where to point out the problems cos running it under Scope 3C and Win 98 SE does not cause any trouble. I 've had the STS 5K for a year under win 98 SE, 3C, p3 nothing to do with what I own now and I could still play for hours with the STS 5K under such condition. Now on win xp, scope 4, well tweaked for DAW, I've never restarted muy new DAW as much as I'm doing now, man it's unbearable and embarrassing when gathering for a jam session or working with a customer, cheers..

ps: for more stability use STS 4K..
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,
I use the sampler as an instrument for building drum kits etc, sounds more natural and human comparing to step sequencing. So please CrèmeWhere consider our claim. Fix the bloody STS 5K will ya! Synths are just fine but please also consider the most important part, which is production and live recording, peace...
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I e-mailed Creamware in USA and a chap called Ali said he had e-mailed my comments plus the address of this very forum to the developers in Germany (perhaps an internal e-mail ?)

So they know about it now.....

I personally haven't bothered to learn anything about the samplers - I have Kontakt and I can't see any advantage in bothering with them yet.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: strav100 on 2004-12-01 18:53 ]</font>
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi,
I invested a lot of money on the samplers and I'm a bit disappointed on the fact that I can't use the STS 5k sampler, If I knew I would've bought something else...
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

Same here dub. The thing is aswell... without the STS series, I have no sampler at all. :sad: I know I can use audio tracks in cubase via ASIO but it's not the same and takes up more time and resources in various ways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deejaysly on 2004-12-02 08:45 ]</font>