Which programs would you recommend building STS-instruments

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Post by petal »

I have never given my STS-5000 sampler a real chance since I've not really had any use for it, but I'm beginning to see a few uses for it in my workflow and would like try it out.
Still, if I read the different comments in other threads, there seems to be a commen consensus that builing instruments for the STS-samplers is easier in other programs than actually doing it in the sampler it self.
So which programs would you recommend for this particular task and why?

Cheers!
Thomas :smile:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Well, i would say the contrary.

Build your program in sts, and when you need more polyphony, use a vsti. Convert your STS program to something else using cdxtract for example.

Building programs in sts is better than any other sampler i know, well maybe Giga Studio interface is good also. But lack some basics, like velocity modulated filters.

My .02$
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

The problem with CDXtract is they haven't updated their STS program format from the old *.s and *.p format. If you have your STS programs in *.wav and *.sts format, CDXtract won't read them.
I've asked them about this several times over the years, even got a reply a long time ago that they would address this, but many updates later, still no fix. Lately they don't respond to any email.
Maybe some if more CDXtract owners could contact them about this issue we would get a response.

/dave
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

I don't own CD-extract, but you can export sts/wav-files to AKAI s/p-format. This should be readable.
Btw, creating sts-files is no hard piece of work. These days I'm working with orchestral samples from the Iowa university (http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=20&7). If you spend a little time with fiddling, they sound really great!
Greetz, Thomas
petal

Post by petal »

Hmm, sounds like I should just dig in the STS-interface with my mouse in the right hand, the manual in the left and coffee in my cop.

Thanks for the feedback!
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Put the manual on your knees and the left hand on your keyboard and use the midi-to-spam-knob during creating new multisamples!
Sometimes it can happen your coffee gets cold if the work flows ... :wink:
kimgr

Post by kimgr »

Why don't you have a look at the STS-Utilities:
http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=13&3

Kim.
petal

Post by petal »

Hey Kim, thanks for the hint/link.

I'll check it out in the next few days.

Thanks!
EXSC_Developer

Post by EXSC_Developer »

Extreme Sample Converter 2 is comming soon.

The great message for users is that it will supports all CreamWare formats. So no problems with *sts or *p,*s files anymore.

More info about this new software:
http://www.extranslator.com/en/info.htm

If you have any questions please write.
info@extranslator.com

Best regards,
Wlodzimierz Grabowski
EXTREME SAMPLE CONVERTER