Motherboard Future Prof my 3 PCI cards and Scope Platform

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

@plonter

Motherboard Future Prof my 3 PCI cards and Scope Platform

Post by @plonter »

Hello

for Motherboard Future Prof my 3 PCI cards and Scope Platform I intend to back up my Studio pc by keeping extra hardware, I'm now in a setup compiled with the flowing :

Asus TUF h310-plus gaming
i7 8700k
16 gig DDR4 ram
And NvMe SSD drive.

AND 3 PCI cards: "Luna + Pulsar 2 + Scope/SP"

It seems that i have 99% success with my 3 PCI cards ( Luna + Pulsar 2 + Scope/SP ) with this Motherboard, so for the backing my setup i have two options,

1 - Keep extra motherboard ( Asus TUF h310-plus gaming )
2 - Or to start compelling new hardware for different setup, with this HW in mind: MSI Z97 GAMING 3 + i7-4770K

I can't figure out the best of the two options, I'm trying to set up the most robust PC for 3 PCI cards! ?

All Insight and knowledge is welcome with an open mind :)

Most things on my mind are Native PCI, PCI overflow, PCI Latency timing bios settings, etc...

Thanks..... :)
Best,
Nebukadneser

Re: Motherboard Future Prof my 3 PCI cards and Scope Platform

Post by Nebukadneser »

Hello, and happy Christmas!

Thank you for posting this, as it kind of confirms the conclusion I have drawn from browsing numerous postings about what makes an up to date combo of mobo, cpu and ram. I have 3 pulsar 2 cards and the rig I am currently running was built in 2008. It features a core duo, Asus P5Q PRO, and 6 gb of DDR 2 ram. I still use old IDE and SATA HD drives for both OS, programmes and audio files, so I will also add a SSD to my new system.

What I am aiming at, and which will be ordered from US, China or wherever to Norway are:

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 <-- This one appears to feature 3 PCI slots
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz socket 1150
16 GB DDR3 Ram Hyperx fury

Then I will find out about what cooling options are required for the i7. I suppose a CPU fan is shipped with new unused processors. I will not over clock the system. I intend to re-use my Carillon 2U 19" rack for the new set up. It has worked very well with my current system.

As to SSD, i will probably use a 500 GB solution for OS, programmes and samples, and use my existing 1TB HDD for audiorecording.

Powersupply: I will check if I can re-use the one I have for the new setup. I guess this is a 450W silent PSU. Might be outdated.

Graphics: Not sure - will find an affordable solution at local vendor. I guess AGP is no longer supported. Or, is GPU on the main board?

I can see from pictures of the mobo that the 3 pci slots are placed 2 next to eachother and a pci express between no 2 and 3. I suppose the STDM cables can span across an open gap and that they don't require the cards to be fitted next wo eachother,

I'd appreciate comments if the above set up doesn't make sense. It has been 12 years since I had sort of an overview of what made a good desktop audio computer, so my knowledge is obviously outdated.

Neb
Norway