ASRock Rack Scores Again

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

ASRock Rack Scores Again

Post by dawman »

I’ve been using ASRock workstation/sever boards for a long time now.

CES is going to show the new Ryzen 2 3000 CPUs.
I’m not a big core guy.
I want fast cool, best single core performer out there.

This just convinced me to but the new AMDs.
It fits in my favorite chassis. Notice faceplate is not parallel, but perpendicular.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/prod ... ifications

77C3A244-CA2F-4E44-AAE5-31AFCEEB0758.jpeg
77C3A244-CA2F-4E44-AAE5-31AFCEEB0758.jpeg (259.89 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
valis

Re: ASRock Rack Scores Again

Post by valis »

Looks nice, and AMD isn't getting facepunched by all of these pipeline hacks like AMD is. Up to 40% hit for 7th gen & before with the latest round...ouch!
David

Post by David »

Where's all the heat sinks, armour shielding and blinkin' colour scrolling lights :-?

Newstack.io thinks AMD maybe not so far out of reach for the hackers also
"While much security research around speculative execution has focused on Intel processors, other processor architectures such as AMD’s and ARM’s also use similar predictive processing techniques and so could be vulnerable to similar attacks as well, pointed out SANS Institute Instructor and Analyst Jake Williams, in a webcast from last year."
dawman

Post by dawman »

Can’t blame them for wanting Scope technology.
For hackers the Titanium and lead shielded super chassis should help hide Scopes DSP Technology for a while until they figure out a way to hack offline Lead shielded PCs.

2 x FF PCI Horizontal slots since the CPU has no GPU.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/cha ... /SC514-505

0EC651DE-5EA3-43BA-9DD9-43280D571DDE.jpeg
0EC651DE-5EA3-43BA-9DD9-43280D571DDE.jpeg (450.07 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
066DB6FA-2860-48E9-BBD1-28C90C8E59E1.jpeg
066DB6FA-2860-48E9-BBD1-28C90C8E59E1.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2681 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

I do outdoor work in the Festival Season so lights and all the gay RGB stuff attracts bugs.

These Flying Kamikaze Grasshoppers can be seen spiraling in on us from 50 yards out.
If you hear one it’s too late to duck, you just close your eyes and hope for the best.
valis

Post by valis »

I've done my fair share of outdoor work at festivals as well, thankfully my work usually also involves projectors and/or massive LED screen arrays, so the bugs have a target other than myself :D
David wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:33 am Where's all the heat sinks, armour shielding and blinkin' colour scrolling lights :-?

Newstack.io thinks AMD maybe not so far out of reach for the hackers also
"While much security research around speculative execution has focused on Intel processors, other processor architectures such as AMD’s and ARM’s also use similar predictive processing techniques and so could be vulnerable to similar attacks as well, pointed out SANS Institute Instructor and Analyst Jake Williams, in a webcast from last year."
Agree with this. One might also (of course) ponder why Intel's stack has been the one primarily under attack so far. You'll find the same speculative rabbit holes as with the age-old platform vs. virii/infected/malware base of course (is it install base size aka sheer numbers, is it someone propping up a competitor/fanbase by attacking the other incumbant, is it companies leveraging their own known holes to push customers to newer platforms aka needing AV software for past debates...?)