Swapped Motherboard to get 2 pci slots MSI Nightmare !

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

k500zm

Swapped Motherboard to get 2 pci slots MSI Nightmare !

Post by k500zm »

bought another Pulsar 2 to accompany my existing Pulsar 2 only to find I only had 1 PCI slot !
I had a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0) which works perfectly without any pops / clicks or tweaks needed.
and yesterday changed it to a MSI X58 Platinum which went ok - no reinstall necessary and connected the 2 together by a home made STDM cable
The STDM was temperamental and had to be positioned just right and it worked - voila 12 DSP's.
Then I loaded a track I am working on into Cubase and it was a disaster - click after glitch after pop :o
So I disabled hyperthreading and played around with PCI latency - nothing made any difference still bad.
Luckily I noticed the northbridge was running at over 100 degrees Celsius which gave me grounds to return it for a refund which was accepted.

However, today I found a motherboard I didnt know existed a Gigabyte EX58-UD4 - which has 3 PCI slots and looks remarkably similar to the one that I use that works with no problems out of the box - so fingers crossed it will do the job !

So just a word of warning steer clear of the MSI x58 range ;)
valis

Re: Swapped Motherboard to get 2 pci slots MSI Nightmare !

Post by valis »

Please report back on the GIgabyte board, and look for faxinadu's upcoming STDM custom made cables.