How many PCI boards can you STDM ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

micmac34

How many PCI boards can you STDM ?

Post by micmac34 »

All is in the subject... I have 3 PCI boards working fine in my system, but I do have a PCIe to PCI adapter that worked fine in a previous system (with the 3 boards too). So I was thinking about adding a fourth board through it. I'm also thinking of just replacing one of my lunas by a pulsar 2 instead, but that would give me "only" 3 more dsps in the end.
astroman

Re: How many PCI boards can you STDM ?

Post by astroman »

4 boards is what fits on a 'regular' PCI bus 2.0 and 32bit PCI 2.1
no idea how the brigded additional card will be handled in your system.
garyb

Post by garyb »

3 is maximum for most motherboards. there were some custom systems with 4 many, many, many years ago...
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hallo, you could buy one 15 dsp card and replace All the lunas... Up to 3 cards makes up to 45 DSPs!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
micmac34

Post by micmac34 »

Ok thanks all of you for your answers, 3 boards max is what I heard already, but I wanted to be sure.
Although the question was not : how many PCI boards can you fit in a system, but: are the scope boards able to communicate correctly
by STDM with more than 3 of them.

So yes, it may be better to wait and change one of the lunas for a 15dsps some day, rather than just gaining 3 more dsps from a pulsar2...
astroman

Post by astroman »

since you already have all the parts, you could just try it out - the mobo's doc reveals details about system architecture.
Most likely 3 PCI slots form the main bus and the adapted PCIe is part of a different bus.
That's not a general nogo - I once used such a slot adapter successfully myself (it just didn't improve PCI performance).

You've got 3 options:
it doesn't matter at all,
your 'master' card takes the adapted slot, slaves go into the 3 regular ones
master sits in regular slot system and the adapted slot is filled with the last 'slave'

You probably have to make your own stdm-cable or add another connector to an existing one.
micmac34

Post by micmac34 »

I think option 1 for the moment... I started learning modular, and saw that every time you add a voice to your synth, it eats up the whole synth DSP's requirement . So I was thinking maybe I could add some power, but I guess I have enough for the moment (21 dsps...) I will first learn more and optimize my projects, then if I have big projects maybe i'll think of adding another 15dsps board, but for the moment it's overkill.
astroman

Post by astroman »

that reads like a reasonable solution :)