Bets New MB for Xite-1

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Bets New MB for Xite-1

Post by garyb »

the socket 1151 motherboards seem to have an issue with Scope ASIO. i'd go for Z97.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you're looking to purchase a completed machine?

we can build one....
garyb

Post by garyb »

pm me.
dawman

Post by dawman »

GaryB made this for me and we tried several new things like MSI, Asus, ASRock.
ASRock Z97 always works, it just seems to be the choice for the last few builds.

GaryB's DAWg's will hunt.
SCOPE.jpg
SCOPE.jpg (227.12 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also the ASRock Z97s have 4 times lower DPC Scores than the best Z170.

128 Mic.u. is still pretty fast.
But the Z97s are basically Z77 then Z87 matured to perfection.
But 30mic.u. on the Z97 is just incredible for audio.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I second the Z97....my mobo has a PCIe slot that connects direct to the CPU. Despite running the on-die graphics for my i5-4690K, I can run lowest ULLI settings with full 64 ASIO channels enabled. Overclocking the RAM a little bit (up to 2400...which the RAM is rated for, and the CPU only needs 1600) seems to keep any conflict with graphics & the rest of the system operating.

Asus Maximus VII Impact (mini-ITX format)
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

jksuperstar wrote:I second the Z97....my mobo has a PCIe slot that connects direct to the CPU. Despite running the on-die graphics for my i5-4690K, I can run lowest ULLI settings with full 64 ASIO channels enabled. Overclocking the RAM a little bit (up to 2400...which the RAM is rated for, and the CPU only needs 1600) seems to keep any conflict with graphics & the rest of the system operating.

similar to what I have. I have an MSI Z97 Gaming mobo and an i5-4690K (these have hyperthreading disabled inside the CPU). I haven't experimented with any overclocking. Always wanted to but I'm a noob at overclocking. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions? lol

Anyway, XITE-1 seems to like this board.
garyb

Post by garyb »

my suggestion on overclocking is "don't bother". if you really like experimenting with computers, it might be fun. if you are already an expert in fooling with computers, go ahead, but if you want a stable system that always works, just use the gear as intended.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

In any case, All over clocking will be managed by your specific board BIOS. So I can only recommend to read your manual, or dive through your BIOS settings. Some gaming boards have simple or even automated ways of over clocking, others might be less stable in the outcome.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

jksuperstar wrote:In any case, All over clocking will be managed by your specific board BIOS. So I can only recommend to read your manual, or dive through your BIOS settings. Some gaming boards have simple or even automated ways of over clocking, others might be less stable in the outcome.
garyb wrote:my suggestion on overclocking is "don't bother". if you really like experimenting with computers, it might be fun. if you are already an expert in fooling with computers, go ahead, but if you want a stable system that always works, just use the gear as intended.

My MSI user manual might as well be in Greek when it comes to overclocking instructions or tips lol. I've read through all that and just ended up more confused. I spent a few minutes googling resources but never quite got to a happy place where I felt confident to go in and start tweaking things. There was always a "be careful" warning buried in there somewhere and I think that just scared me straight lol My default position is to trust Gary ;-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

krizrox wrote:
jksuperstar wrote:I second the Z97....my mobo has a PCIe slot that connects direct to the CPU. Despite running the on-die graphics for my i5-4690K, I can run lowest ULLI settings with full 64 ASIO channels enabled. Overclocking the RAM a little bit (up to 2400...which the RAM is rated for, and the CPU only needs 1600) seems to keep any conflict with graphics & the rest of the system operating.

similar to what I have. I have an MSI Z97 Gaming mobo and an i5-4690K (these have hyperthreading disabled inside the CPU). I haven't experimented with any overclocking. Always wanted to but I'm a noob at overclocking. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start. Any suggestions? lol

Anyway, XITE-1 seems to like this board.

MSI Forums have a moderator from Carson City, Nevada.
He uses RME but helped me OC my MSI.

You should have GuRu in the BIOS.
Dont push for more than 400mhz though.
The heat is not friendly for audio unless you add specialized cooling.

Theres a really nice self contained CPU Water Cooler from CoolerMaster.
It sits on the CPU just like a stock HSF.
It can even be twisted from vertical to horizontal to fit your specific needs too.