5x pci motherboard

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Manomars

5x pci motherboard

Post by Manomars »

As i was investigating what to buy for a scope system i found this motherboard https://www.supermicro.com/products/mot ... 0SLA-F.cfm
I only have 1 pulsar 2 so its not for me, but i couldn't hold this back for you all.
auntybiotic

Re: 5x pci motherboard

Post by auntybiotic »

In same boat so useful info. Thanks.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Manomars wrote:As i was investigating what to buy for a scope system i found this motherboard https://www.supermicro.com/products/mot ... 0SLA-F.cfm
I only have 1 pulsar 2 so its not for me, but i couldn't hold this back for you all.
How much is this motherboard?
Bovski

Post by Bovski »

fraz wrote:
Manomars wrote:As i was investigating what to buy for a scope system i found this motherboard https://www.supermicro.com/products/mot ... 0SLA-F.cfm
£264.55 on Amazon.co.uk
$199 on NewEgg

Be careful what GFX card you use in it if you want more than the onboard VGA, the Xeon CPU's that work in it only have 16 PCI Express Lanes and a Big GFX card could really mug your system.

Something like the Palit NEAT7300HD06-2080H would work if your not using lots of screens & will only use 4 lanes, it's also passively cooled something else that's good in an audio setup.

I still think you will struggle with more than 3 Pro cards they have a design flaw they draw their power from the motherboard they should have had a molex on them.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Bovski wrote:
fraz wrote:
£264.55 on Amazon.co.uk
$199 on NewEgg

Be careful what GFX card you use in it if you want more than the onboard VGA, the Xeon CPU's that work in it only have 16 PCI Express Lanes and a Big GFX card could really mug your system.

Something like the Palit NEAT7300HD06-2080H would work if your not using lots of screens & will only use 4 lanes, it's also passively cooled something else that's good in an audio setup.

I still think you will struggle with more than 3 Pro cards they have a design flaw they draw their power from the motherboard they should have had a molex on them.
It looks like a good board if you need 5 pci slots - 2 is enough for me, 3 is welcome ! - But I think I prefer the mainstream boards like Asus and MSI that can use i7 CPU's with better support. One board I've got is MSI Z97 GAMING 3 1150 with included DVI / VGA / DISPLAY PORT / HDMI £107 with 3 PCI slots and unexpectedly a thunderbolt header though it's not mentioned in the manual
dawman

Post by dawman »

Supermicro answers the phone.
Asus...good luck with them.
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:Supermicro answers the phone.
Asus...good luck with them.
Yes well what can I say :P

MSI sent me a back plate for an open box x79 motherboard I got that wasn't in the box of the end of life motherboard - They actually sent me one in the post - Could not believe it! - OK I didn't try to call but someone read the email and acted on it to post me something but I did promise I'd buy an MSI motherboard if they did :lol: