failure with gigabyte X58 UD4

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

failure with gigabyte X58 UD4

Post by bosone »

i choose this MoBo because it had 3 PCI slots, so that i can mount luna, pulsar1 and scope

but even after deactivating every single onboard hardware from the bios i still get an IRQ error on windows 7 home premium 64 bit

i also tried to switch the boards on the 3 pci slots but nothing changed

the "funny" fact is that even if luna is assigned to a unique IRQ it do not work and the system continues to say that "there are no resources to allocate the board".

damn

i will definitely give up and sell 3 DSP.
maybe i will look for a pulsar 2 or scope, but then i have to move all the keys from pulsar 1, and that's more money... damn!

if you have other ideas...
Last edited by bosone on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Re: failure with gigabyte X58 UD4

Post by garyb »

can you give a screenshot of the error message?

exactly what is the irq error?

there's no reason that the three slots shouldn't work.
bosone

Post by bosone »

i will provide as soon as possible...
bosone

Post by bosone »

this evening i will try again to switch the cards, using just two of them by leaving one in the "faulty" slot, or mounting the cards one by one... etc while having all the devices disabled from win 7.

i have disabled near everything i could disable! all the usb port, the integrated audio, the firewire, the lan...

the graphic card is mounted in the only PCI E x4 slot available, because if i mount it in one of the two pci e x16 slots the heatsink covers one pci slot.
i even disabled from the win 7 control panel the two pci e x16 slots... or at least i thought i did it!

could be an idea to reinstall windows 7 after disabling from bios all the onboard devices, let the system configure the irq for the boards and then re.activate them from the bios?

any other ideas??
bosone

Post by bosone »

it seems there is a slot which do not like the CW card.
i have tried everything

each onboard MoBo device is disabled
i have installed just the video card and the scope in the last lost (the bottom one) which is the faulty one

the PCI conflict continues to appear.
it says that there are not enough resources and it gives a "error code 12"
the problem is the one described here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 4452e7df09

i even tried to move the video card to another slot

so, i feel that this is a problem either of the motherboard or of the creamware driver.

in the bios there are no option to assign IRQ or to switch to a non plug and play OS

any suggestion is welcome!
garyb

Post by garyb »

that sounds like a hardware problem, but without seeing the messages you are seeing, i don't know. personally, i'd say it's a problem with the motherboard design. it's possible that in all you disabling, you've disabled the pci slot. it may share resources with a pci-e slot. at any rate, there's no need for an uber graphics card that covers two slots, or a motherboard that won't let you use a 16x slot because a pci slot you need is too close to a graphics card. there are motherboards that will work.

i don't have any specific good ideas, partly because i know so little about your system and it's components, and partly because i know you don't want to spend any more money. most likely, you're going to need to buy and sell some stuff.
bosone

Post by bosone »

this is the situation.

the system is OK with the luna card out. so now i have 2 scope cards (pulsar1+scope).
SFP 5.1, win 7 64 bit and sonar 8.5.3 are up and running

just for the sake of doing it, i tried again to reinsert the third card but the situation didnt change.

in the attach there is an image of the error i get

the translation from italian is, more or less:

the board generate a conflict in the resources - error 12.
in order to use this device you must deactivate one of the other system devices.

as you can see, the board do not share irqs with any other device.
i have disabled everything not needed: usb, ieee controllers, etc...
the other two boards share irqs but work well.

i have a Club 3D HD3450 Noiseless Edition video card i have mounted on a pci e x4 slot (moving to a 16x slot do not change the siutuation)

the specific problem is with the last PCI slot of the gigabyte ud4 x58, the one near the PCB border.
any CW card inserted in that slot will not work.

in the bios there are no way to assign irq or to change the situation.
Attachments
Immagine.jpg
Immagine.jpg (263.36 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, you can disable the pci-e root ports that you are not using in the device manager.

that's a problem with the design of that motherboard. not all motherboards are designed the same. did you check for a newer bios?
bosone

Post by bosone »

i willl try to disable that pci e root. is that safe?
yes, the bios is updated
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, it's safe, but if you disable a root port that is assigned to a pci-e slot you are using(like video) that slot will stop working. as long as you don't disable the video slot, you should be ok. even if you disable something you are using, you should be able to turn it back on.
djstudio

Post by djstudio »

hello had a similar problem happened to me. Try to leave only the luna card and move it two in the three slots to see if it works. I solved everything by reformatting

ciao un problema simile era capitato anche a me. Prova a lasciare solo luna 2 e a spostarla nei tre slot per vedere se funzione. Io ho risolto riformattando tutto
bosone

Post by bosone »

i tried even that.
no matter which card is inserted, the last slot never works. also if there is just one card in

i do not want to reformat now... i just finished to install everything and it took me about 2 fool days of work.
now i want to make some music with the new beast! :)

maybe in the future, if no one will buy the card, i will try again if i find some time
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

Hello Bosone,

Where did you buy the GA-EX58-UD4 motherboard ?

This is a very hard-to-get (and discontinued) model.
As far as i know only released in Asia (and maybe also released in Australia).

I have searched for this model for months and ended up with the Asrock X58 Deluxe (which also performs very good with 3 Scope DSP boards). Hopely the capacitor quality of the Asrock X58 Deluxe will be suficient to last for a couple of years :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

intel still sells plenty of motherboards with 3 pci slots. they work. many are cheap.
bosone

Post by bosone »

i bought the gigabyte because it was one of the two i had access with lga 1366 and 3 pci.
the other was asrock, but i was not so sure about overall quality, so i went for gigabyte...

gary: regarding intel, i still do not know any board with lga 1366 and 3xpci slots!
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, you're right.
they do have 3 pci slots in 1155, two of them. strange.

the 1366 package seems to be abandoned.
bosone

Post by bosone »

the failure is complete

i transferred the keys from pulsar 1 to scope in order to be able to surpass the limits of the "old gen" card with PCI bandwidth.

with only the scope installed, i can just load 6 masterverb pro and barely 2 SC ambience reverb, before getting the PCI limit reached... that result is similar to the bundle pulsar 1 + scope.

so, even if i can get 3 ms latency with pulsar 1+scope, i think that this board is not suitable for sonic core system.

damn it!!!! :(

Now, a last question...
with win 7 already installed, if in the future i will decide to change just the MoBo (with maybe the asrock x58), will i have to reinstall all win 7 from scratch??? what about the activation??
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, you should be able to do a repair install of windows. you shouldn't need to reinstall everything.
astroman

Post by astroman »

bosone wrote: with only the scope installed, i can just load 6 masterverb pro and barely 2 SC ambience reverb, before getting the PCI limit reached... that result is similar to the bundle pulsar 1 + scope...
no, you draw the wrong conclusion.
I just repeated your setup on an old ASUS TUSL board which is (was) famous for it's PCI performance and I can load 2 of those Ambience Reverbs + 5 MasterVerb Pro, next MasterVerb would trigger PCI bandwidth limit.

I'm pretty sure that the Ambience reverb performs MUCH better in an XITE on the new DSPs with more memory.
That device is a strong poison for the PCI version of Scope... can only thake 'that' much :D

On the other hand it's pointless to load tons of instances of this one.
Trust your ears and restrict it's use to special channels with special signals, so it really can deliver it's sheen.
You'll probably spot a beauty on a beach in an instance and may be fascinated by her for some time...
Now imagine that same beach full of beauties... yeah great view... but where's that special kick 'she' gave you... ?

cheers, Tom

ps: and for the very last resort I suggest a copy of the native version aka CSR (IK Multimedia)
You probably know Warp licensed (or sold ?) that stuff to them.
They frequently make special offers, got mine for 99 Euro or so - imho the difference is quite small, in fact you may welcome the slightly more crisp (or call it 'slim') soundprint as a variation.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

bosone wrote: Now, a last question...
with win 7 already installed, if in the future i will decide to change just the MoBo (with maybe the asrock x58), will i have to reinstall all win 7 from scratch??? what about the activation??
For the pci bandwith, even if it is sort of irrelevant, use an empty project (no mixer etc) and fill it up with regular masterverbs until you get the error message.

As for the motherboard, i recently had to change one in my pc, including CPU and gfx card. i went from an nvidia chipset to intel chipset, and from an e6600 to a q6600 cpu. I didnt have to install anything, i just reconnected the cables and booted win7 as normal. worked fine, i just had to reactivate windows online since it noticed my Hardware changes.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.