Monitor (Audio) Configuration

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

broken_halo

Monitor (Audio) Configuration

Post by broken_halo »

hey everyone , quick question . I usually do all of my mixing through Sonar / Scope as it is but I usually route my audio out through my Ultra 16 to channel ins on my Soundcraft mixer then send it out to my monitors. Is that really even worth it ?? I mean if Im not using the mixer for anything else but a go-between to my monitors should I not just appropriate a Left and Right Out from my Ultra 16 straight to each monitor?? I should have epiphanized on this years ago but never really thought about it until recently. In my mind I think for the past 5 years I have been kind degrading my sound by sending it through another process instead straight to my monitors.

I knew you guys would have an answer for this !!

Thanks
Neil
http://www.myspace.com/trinityprojectrocks
valis

Re: Monitor (Audio) Configuration

Post by valis »

Yes I think it degrades sound. But I'm personally averse to connecting speakers directly to computer interfaces. At the very least I like to have the ability to mute my monitors with something inline as I at least occasionally experience spurious noise from gear or crashes from software that leaves stuck buffer loops.

And if you don't set your monitors to a fixed reference but will want to change their gain, then your best bet is a passive monitoring solution (m-patch, SPL Volume 2 etc.) There was a thread recently (I think under General Discussion) where Shroomz and a few others were even posting up parts for possible DIY monitor controllers...
broken_halo

Re: Monitor (Audio) Configuration

Post by broken_halo »

Killer , thanks man!!