64bit OS

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

64bit OS

Post by ARCADIOS »

the time is almast here.
i have installed 8ggs of ram and my first impressions of vista 64bit are great.
i have read articles and i can tell as well that vista 64bit are way better than xp 32bit. 64 i do not know.
the ram need is more but this is the future.

we cannot stick on olser and worse systems.

being stuck on systems that need less resources we might go back to an atari st or a 386 pc.

SO LETS ALL ASK FROM SONICCORE TO GIVE US THE 64bit DRIVERS, WE CAN WAIT A LITTLE MORE FOR THAT
Last edited by ARCADIOS on Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcuspocus

Re: 64bit vista. the very near future. way more stable!

Post by marcuspocus »

I've been using Vista 64bits for the last year, and i asked the same question about 64bit drivers back when SC annonced Xite... Long times ago ;-)

Ralf answered back that drivers will work in Vista64, but in 32bit mode. Good enough for me.

And i agree, even thou everybody else here bashed vista, i would not go back to xp. I have to use XP everyday at work, and it's a pain compared to vista in alot of areas imho.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

First, backup... A backup system that work, is reliable, and allow for a complete system recovery without reinstalling windows first. I had to use it for differents reasons, and i can say that it really work, and is easy to use.

File browser is way more responsive, no more hanging for unknown reason while doing nothing. When i do some java, i frenquently have projects with way over 10000 files, and XP is hanging doing "i don't know what" in a kernel process each time i'm to click on some folders, or even opening a single small txt file of 3k ??? WTF? In Vista, this is not happing at all. Lot of saved times and frustration.

Search system -> alot like apple's system. So usefull and fast that i don't use the "program files" menu no more. It's so much faster to just type some letters of what you need to immediately see it in the result and click it than navigate thru menu's.

Vista 64 got native support for hd movies -> I have a HD cam, and on xp, i can't render an HD movie without installing bunch of software, usually no so legit software. My laptop being a also my own company PC, i can't connect on client's network having bunch of unsafe software installed.

This lead me to utilities included in vista, that was missing, or unusable in xp, like photo gallery (in XP i needed ACDSEE for that), mail,calendar, contacts are also included. In xp we had outlook express, argh... Also, there is alot of options and utility for laptop users, from projector management to adaptive power profile for power saving, and mobile folders for synchronization while on the go.

For me a real upgrade is going from xp to vista64. Going from xp to Vista32 is a half-baked thingy imho. For example, the security system in vista32 is annoying at best, but in vista64 it's a bit different, since it's 64bit, it's a different security model (not related to the fact that 64 bit is more than 32bit, but more to the fact that microsoft compiler behave differently), so alot less annoying that vista32.

If buying a new PC, choose 64bit processor with vista64 and 4gb of ram, if upgrading an old PC keep XP and boost it's ram to 2gb, maybe 3gb if you feel like playing with boot parameters to get that gig.

Some stuff in vista64 (or vista32 for that matter) that is no so good, is boot time. It's taking ages to boot. But in fact, that is helping in being smother once booted. Vista keeps alot of thing in memory, you may think it's wasting memory (well it does a bit...), but actually, their "superfetch" technology is keeping in memory most important part of your most used os part in memory, so it's ready when you need it. Knowing that, boot time is acceptable. BTW, hibernation, and sleep mode is working so great compared to xp that a barely boot my pc once a week or two. Sleep mode is fast and fool proof, while hibernation (or deep sleep) always work as expected.

Like i said, i would not go back to XP now, and, aero is nicer than those huge xp buttons and ultra-wide frame borders from default xp theme ;-)
Last edited by marcuspocus on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

marcuspocus, is there an option of changing hard drive backup potition? is it similar to acronis for instance?

also, i agree 100% with what you said.
64bit is the real change.

i have seen many people complaining that vista 64 eats memory.
this is not true. it uses memory.
in xp for instance many of us have been trying to optimize xp by setting xp to keep more of the progs in ram, and so on.......
64bit system does this very well, but it just needs a good system.
a good operating system needs a good hardware to operate. :wink:
a poor operate system might work on a 1998 technology :P :P :P

also, do the peaple that like so much macs make tweaks and tweaks over and over again to their macs, or leave them mostly at the default settings?

many users also might be frustrated if they do not have the full control of waht the system is doing.
yes, including my self. there have been many periods that i have been working on xp with 12 services on background.
this way i felt that the system is light and fast.
well. this is wrong!!!!!

fast for what? it is just the ilusion of having the system in a cool light and almost dead condition.
it is similarly fast (still slower than 64bit) in dragging windows(and not many), but it is not faster in searching files, in hadling many simultaneus operations, because of the huge instability!!!
now with the option of having 24gigs(6x4gig sticks) of ram very very soon(including the upcoming in a few months mobo of intel an also the new cpus in reasonable prices, already 8 gigs ddr2 are cheap, whould i want my pc not working at all like with my old stuck idea of booting with 12 services, and all other manually?
noway man.

in older days we didn't like the idea of many tasks at once.
now it is different.
there also will be times in the future that operating systems will be loaded instantly without even instalation. just by puting a ram chip. instead of bios, a chip including all of the os.

and for 64bit system 100 services will be nothing for a 128 gig ram system.
with 32bit xp....... we try to make it work better by this f..... 3gb PAE and other useless things, ramdisks and so on.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
bring me the 128bit os NOW!

ok seriously.
vista 64bit works well, more stable, more nice, more clever, even on a 2 gig ram system. (better on 4gigs) and so on....

also if these specs of ram support that microsoft says are true, it is worth it to go to ultimate or bussiness that support more than 128gigs. the first 3 editions stop at 16gigs.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

i agree stardust with your general position, but if we compare the two os having the same hardware. but vista 64, supports 100 times better and faster hardware that would not let us make comparison because xp would not take advantage of it, if it was installed on such a system.
now, if we assume we have two pcs with max 4gigs using the same programs there might be relative results in some cases that do not stress much xp.
but i see it the other way:

actually, vista 64 starts where xp 32 ends with many common areas just because we pass the changing(metabatic) era from 32 to 64bit.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, actually, none of that "vista 64, supports 100 times better and faster hardware that would not let us make comparison because xp would not take advantage of it, if it was installed on such a system" actually has much impact on the DAW.

i can see how Vista MIGHT be an upgrade for one's home/gaming pc, but for the DAW, probably not yet. in fact, XP is probably superior as it is lighter, stable and proven, and has much better software support, at least as far as music apps go, at least in my experience. the situation is fluid, however...
garyb

Post by garyb »

Vista is WinME. there's another os right around the corner that is the REAL upgrade....
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

you are talking about xp with sp4? :)
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

i love much xp, but i am not in love actually. vista is the new girl and looks more beautifull!!!!!

the next ones(read Below) might come out while i am not active any more :lol: ). so i will stay with vista.
not sure if i am going to be that faithful though!!!............

Though Redmond has been uncorking bottles of champaign lately for the release of Windows Vista, they certainly haven't stopped looking forward. The next two versions of Windows are already on the drawing board, and have been for some time. Their codenames are Fiji and Vienna (Vista's was Longhorn, if you recall), and they're the successors to the Windows throne according to a blog called Unnecessary. Fiji is planned as a "Second Edition" of Vista, which is intended to finally bring some of those promised Longhorn features that never materialized to Vista. Among them: More new UI features, a more powerful Sidebar, tighter Windows Live integration, more advanced speech recognition, WinFS (finally!) on top of NTFS, maybe a music-authoring program called Monaco, and more.

Vienna (formerly known as Blackcomb) is slated to be the next huge leap forward for Windows, "similar to the transition from OS 8-9 to OS X." Vienna will break application compatibility with previous versions of Windows to make room for a "newer, more flexible, richer and secure platform." Among the new features will be a completely overhauled interface ("No more explorer shells, and taskbars. No start menu. Probably no toolbars, or menus."), speech recognition as a "major input device," a new version of NTFS wrapped in WinFS ("No more drives, or files/folders location to worry about. File Management will be done through applications, which will automatically index and sort the files they support."), and more.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

speach recognition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x hei. i am a classical singer. when i am on pc i cannot speak for hours.
and also it will be terribly annoying for other persons around hearing someone speak orders on a pc

minimax... eeeeeee open ableton....
library
eeeeeeeee close minimax
polyphony 5
midi 1
midi 2
ep sorry........ midi 4
go audio 2
nuendo load
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

so assuming that the next generation of pcs will be speach recogniton i have my questions.

what if i have a cold and i am out of voice?
i guess what is the solution to that. instead of speaking, typing :lol:
for some persons here with 800000000 posts would be a piece of cake, but for a normal user :-? :-? :-?
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i would like to see that.

what i mean by 100 times better, i refer to the 32 to 64bit step.
nomatter if it is vista, fiji or bahamas :D

to summarize, it is all about the 64bit evolution
garyb

Post by garyb »

64bit is not an evolution. it's sideways growth like cancer. maybe in the future it really will do more work than 32bit, but not yet.
astroman

Post by astroman »

stardust wrote:That was a joke in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home ehrn Scotty tried to speak with a regular PC ...
interesting that you consider a Macintosh Plus a 'regular PC' ... :D
{ --- snip --- Astro's Laments Bla Bla --- snip --- }

cheers, Tom
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

ARCADIOS wrote:marcuspocus, is there an option of changing hard drive backup potition? is it similar to acronis for instance?

Yep, you can store backup anywhere, restore from anywhere, select what you backup.

For example, lately, a changed my laptop 100gb hd by a 320gb hd.

Backuped in the network, changed drive, restored back to the 320gb drive :
The restore process asked me if i wanted to create a partition because there wasn't any (normal, brand new drive), said yes, 320gb partition.

Process completed completely, rebooted => done

:-)
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, looks I cannot resist completely ... the box Stardust was kidding about on the previous page...

I remember remote controlling such a thing over a telephone line with the Timbuktu software, full graphical remote desktop, the year was 1988, an 8 MHZ machine with 1 Megabyte of Ram.
In other words barely 1/1000 of the so called processing power of a decent current quadcore and the line speed was 19kbit at best - and there was almost no stutter on the display.
I've seen Windoze machines on ethernet performing worse :o
needless to mention that the process Marcus describes wouln't have been a problem at all
except the fact that disks were a bit smaller... ;)

Back then the oh so familiar hyperlink paradigm was executed from half a megabyte of assembly code, including a programming language that makes Java look a mess, strategically.
This was 20(!) years ago today (as the famous line of the quartett goes) ...
There's really nothing on the M$ or Fruity kind of current software that can impress me at all.
It's a self-servicing, cash and control generating industry - way off it's original destination.

Remember even as a single programmer you could conceptionally follow a software like Photshop or Pagemaker up into it's most remote corners once.
Don't try this art home with your favourite office app today.
I have to wade through the M$ online docs occasionally - what a wiered patchwork of confusion.

Of course I'm happy that it assures me a fairly well paid job, as it will do for Marcus and many others and it won't stop Gary supplying machines to feed the hardware hunger of the next release of I-dunno-what
But please stop to call it progress or state of the art or the dawn of a new age... :roll:
Apple didn't resort to a 30 year old veteran (they themselves mocked about in the mid 80s) for nothing.
just throw on that Skunk Anansie record... Moneymaking is a Jolly Good Thing

cheers, Tom
of course old fashioned - but my bass pre from the 60s kicks ass :D
and I just ordered SAW Studio a couple of days ago ;)
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

It just appears that the OS is so bloated that it can't perform anywhere near as fast as XP for doing audio. And check out some of the folks trying to do streaming video: network+audio = stutter. M$ concentrated on making it "crash proof". Unfortunately, at the same time, they didn't try to make it efficient. Looks like it can't be fixed.

But hey, they're still making money. More power to M$!!! :-?
ARCADIOS

Re: 64bit os. it is here. more stable!

Post by ARCADIOS »

i should have written another title for this discussion.
actually my interest is not in the name of the os or the services by default or whatever, better or worse for others.

i mostly concentrate on the 32 to 64bit change.
and basically on the big advantage of ram.

and don't tell me that 3,2 gigs of ram is the same with 8gigs(775 socket speaking, because the 1366 will give us much more)
and also i see that there are plenty of 64 bit drivers and becoming more and more rapidly.

and forgive me but the title must change, because i am not intersted at all in the name of the os, xp, vista or astalavista baby.
:wink:
ARCADIOS

Re: 64bit OS

Post by ARCADIOS »

save your cash for something else (like a bigger hard drive or more RAM).

bigger ram??? :roll:
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

March 23, 2005 second post date.

it is an old post, but enough clear.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

yes, there is not much change. according to the general construction.

but there is change in other things that guide in a way the developement.

somewere in the articles there is an advice of "it might be better for someone to invest in more ram" 3 years ago going from 1 gb to 2gb was an importand step. but nowdays with 32bit systems having the limit of 3gb?
within 2009 many pcs will be sold with 8 gigs ram by default, which means 64bit only!!

and the article also compares 32 bit systems that at the time of 2005 they were at their peak according to internet availability of drivers, with 64 bit systems that did not have availability of drivers or software.
now, it is different.

also, 3 years ago the os of 64 bit was not developed yet, compared to 2008 latest updates.

in fact there is no war between the 32 and 64bit.
it is just a matter of logical evolution.

we were at 16bit, went on 32bit and now we go to 64bit.
the phenomenon of going from 64bit to 32bit will never happen.
it would have been like going from 775 chipset to 478, or like going from ddr3 to ddr2.
or going from xp to 2000... to 98.
or going from 40 years of age to 30 years of age. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
WAIT A MINUTE!!! that would have been great if it could happen. 40 years old to 30 years old.
i made paralilism among these facts and i got trapped?????
if going from 40s to 30s of age is a dream for humanity, then maybe the similar ..like going from vista to xp or from 64 to 32bit might also include MAGIC!!!

i found it!
LETS GO BACK IN TIME.
ITS XP TIME
NEXT YEAR MIGHT BE Windows2000!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: