Masterverb Test Thread

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

hollo321

Re: Masterverb Test Thread

Post by hollo321 »

heres another screenshot of sharing,irqs. pci express slot is occuied by the 8800gt graphcs card, which i also tryed removed and got the same pci bandwith results.also checked about the motherboard and its a oem sony motherboard specifically designed for sony; not on intels website and no manual anywhere to be found.
thanks
Attachments
00.jpg
00.jpg (116.49 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

everything looks good.
how about the video card...did you disable accelleration?
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

for info, my 15 mverbs on 9 DSP was on a system with a 8800gts. I suspect there MIGHT be BIOS/motherboard driver trouble..
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that would be a good place to start....
hollo321

Post by hollo321 »

i just did a reformat , and tryed disableing unnessary drivers everything i tried gave exact same results :(, i guess my board just isnt very friendly with scope, it really is effecting me for i usually cant even load 1 p100 reverb and no where near enough asio sourses for mixing. im think im just gonna go for a new system,thinking pentium quad core, since i use tons of vsts in my projects and i want as much cpu power as i can get. from the forum looks to me that the nforce motherboards get best pci performance and for intel its next to nothings asus motherboard what u guys think?
thanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

It does seem like NForce has some advantage, probably because on the on board memory controller of the AMD CPU.
Personally I would go for the i7 which has an onboard memory controller now, and really kicks major booty w/ VSTl's, etc.
The cheapest i7 920 blows away my E8600 which I found shocking.
Here's a little taste of streaming w/ an i7 graph from a DAW builder.
k5benchmarks.jpg

Intel is releasing their newest CPU's next month from the LGA1366 Xeon family and a couple of higher clocked i7's.
Give it a month and check out the prices of the 920, 945 & 965.
I bet the 945 will be the best bang at about 3 bones....... :wink:
hollo321

Post by hollo321 »

hey again well i just spent a lot of $ on a new system(chose i7 cause of the vst n sampling perfermance) got 1 of the only 1366 motherboards that has 3 pci slots( gigabyte x58-ud4) ... and what do i know, after 5 masterverbs pci overflow again :x . again did everything i tried beforre, switching around cards in different slots, checkin irqs, making sure my luna 2card is master and not the scope 1st gerneration card... nothing. im starting to think maybe it isnt the motherboard, maybe a faulty card,stdm cable, or because im using a 1st generation card these problems happen,i just dont know. ne ideas cause im all out??PLEAsseee someone help before check into a mental hospital. thanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

Don't drive yourself nuts over it.
I have a 3 x card DAW w/ a Supermicro Mobo and it only gets 6.
I thought the same thing as you, but it's a Gigastudio DAW and it has been running strong for 4 years w/o zero problems.
Besides, it sounds like your going to be using the IR's included with your streaming apps anyway.
The UDura mobo's are top notch. I am watching my friends with dual Nehalem EP's and i7 920's OC'd and so far eveyone's happy.
But as Stardust points out, it's a crapshoot.
I am interested in the i7's but I want a laptop next Christmas, so please keep us posted on your i7.

Congradulations BTW, and go make music and quit worrying about the Reverb test.
You'll probably not even miss all of the MVerb Pro's.
Actually the RMX160A is a better verb IMHO. It lacks the Early reflections of the MVerb Pro, but one can easily use the Early Reflctor w/ the RMX160A and load tons of verbs.. :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

hollo321 wrote:hey again well i just spent a lot of $ on a new system(chose i7 cause of the vst n sampling perfermance) got 1 of the only 1366 motherboards that has 3 pci slots( gigabyte x58-ud4) ... and what do i know, after 5 masterverbs pci overflow again :x . again did everything i tried beforre, switching around cards in different slots, checkin irqs, making sure my luna 2card is master and not the scope 1st gerneration card... nothing. im starting to think maybe it isnt the motherboard, maybe a faulty card,stdm cable, or because im using a 1st generation card these problems happen,i just dont know. ne ideas cause im all out??PLEAsseee someone help before check into a mental hospital. thanks

yes, it's because of the first generation card. it's not the end of the world or the only measure of performance. is there something you can't do?
hollo321

Post by hollo321 »

well the main setback was not being able to load more than 11 or 12 asio2 24 bit sources, which is impossible for me since all my projects are 30+ tracks. and gary ur 100 percent right abiut the card, i tryed taking out my 1st generation card, reinstalled scope, and was able to load the maximum amount of asio tracks as well as about 5 masterverbs with ease before getting dsp overload, not pci :) . i guess the only choice i have is do all my recording with both scope cards first then when all is done and perfected, take out the 1st generation card and run the asio tracks into the mixer for final mixdown. btw i7 performance is amazing if u use lots of vsts, cut my cpu load about 75 percent. thanks for the help guys
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure. best to sell the p1.
taking it in and out will certainly destroy the gold contacts eventually, leaving you with junk. i'd sell it and get a luna or a p2(or a Scope Pro :wink: )
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

After removing the p1 from my setup i now get 17 masterverbs.Pci cap reached when loading masterverb 18. With 2x scope 14 dsp 1 with classic i/o one srb.

Dell Dimension 8300

2gb Ocz Platinum ram 2x 1 gb.
Nvidia 6600 with 256 mb v ram agp.
Intel 875P Chipset

Scopeboards are on irq 17 and 22 not sharing anything with them.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Hi,
after reading through all this postings, here are my results:

P7P55D / Core I5 / Scope 14DSP / 1 Pulsar 4DSP

I get 8 MV working, then DSP-Limit is reached. There's no difference whether the Pulsar1 is present or not.

My old Board was a Fujitsu Siemens D1327 ( P4 1.8GHZ) with 11 MV.
A shuttle AK31 with Athlon 2000 gives 12 MV working.

The P7P55D has lots of overclocking features, but I found none to speedup PCI.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
DrhiQ

Post by DrhiQ »

Gigabyte P55 UD6, I7 860, Scope 15 DSP & Pulsar 2, WinXP

Bios F3 = 8 MV
Bios F10 = 11 MV

:)
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

What does bios f3 and f10 mean?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Thats just how gigabyte numbers the BIOS versions.
that is an impressive improvement!
garyb

Post by garyb »

Sony Vostro 1400 core2 duo 1.8gb/ 2gb ram/ win7 64bit-
13 masterverbs XITE-1 through expresscard. capacity limit "no more SAT connections DSP 5 to DSP d" on the 14th. i optimized and the 14th worked. i figured that was test enough. the wave drivers work fine here.

it's amazing how nice and quiet the XITE-1 is!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I can mirror Gary's findings, but with a 2005 era Sony Vaio laptop, core2duo merom 2ghz, "4"GB ram. XITE-1 with expresscard interface.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, the latest test is on an IBM(Lenovo) Thinkcentre M52 1400 /1gb ram /xp sp3/ 3gb p4/ that i purchased for $200 including shipping, with an XITE-1.

i got 23 masterverbs(functioning) in a project that included an stm2448, a B2003, 20 asio channels and the hardware i/o, and then i got bored. i could certainly get more....

this machine can easily produce a finished product of the highest quality. no, it won't be the ultimate vsti machine(it can handle reasonable vsti loads, an instrument or three or four at a time), but for anything else, it'll do the job, no question. it just goes to show that things don't have to be expensive.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

garyb wrote:ok, the latest test is on an IBM(Lenovo) Thinkcentre M52 1400 /1gb ram /xp sp3/ 3gb p4/ that i purchased for $200 including shipping, with an XITE-1.

i got 23 masterverbs(functioning) in a project that included an stm2448, a B2003, 20 asio channels and the hardware i/o, and then i got bored. i could certainly get more....

this machine can easily produce a finished product of the highest quality. no, it won't be the ultimate vsti machine(it can handle reasonable vsti loads, an instrument or three or four at a time), but for anything else, it'll do the job, no question. it just goes to show that things don't have to be expensive.
Gary that is awesome result. Could you point out what is different in IBM ? Result seems vastly better on IBM.