Intense intimate trip-hop

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: TRIP-HOP<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar Effects,Pulsar Mixers,Pulsar Synths<BR> copyright © 2004 Thalamus<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> FOR THOSE WHO CARE...REMASTERED VERSION UPLOADED...

-- NEW VERSION UPLOADED AGAIN 6-03-2004 --
This is a working mix for the videoguys

-- NEW VERSION UPLOADED AGAIN 24-01-2004 --
Radiomix for the danish national radio.

-- NEW VERSION UPLOADED 07-11-2003 --
Hi again, This song finally reached the end, been through many many changes, here's the master... If you have comments about the mix, please enlighten me, else enjoy.

-- NEW VERSION UPLOADED --

Hi all,

I'm glad to share this song with you, course I've done much work with it and look forward to hear what you think so far.

I like the intimate tension and the "hard" sound.

I hope it sounds ok on your systems, course my bass unit on my NS-10 blew up, so I have no reference.

USES : Tree-O-Tree for bass (can't get enough of that), STM 1632, SPL Transient Designer, Vinco, Modular III. Timeworks Eq and Compressors.

Other instruments : Vienna Strings (Violin, Viola, Cello and Contrabass), Novation V-station (dirty bass dub in refrain), Roland XV-5080, Fender Rhodes 73, UAD-1 plugins.

Voice in the verse is patched through a Fender SuperReverb combo amp with dirty settings.

Noah Laux
----------
http://www.thalamusic.dk
</FONT>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2004-01-23 19:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2004-03-06 17:13 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thalamus on 2004-11-22 20:40 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

you got the vienna strings library!!!! Personally, I thought the strings could "sing" a bit more. They sound a bit weak and sort of lack depth. But maybe you're trying to avoid the effect cuz strings tend to make the soundspace too big.

Bass sounds ok on my Event 20/20bas
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Hi Ken,

You heard rigth, theres actually a pretty hefty lo-cut on the strings to avoid messing up with the rest. Maybe too much, and perhaps I'm gonna raize the middle a bit. By the way, the vienna is only used in the verse, the refrain string are defferend. Rigth now I haven't got my reference speakers in order, but anyway I'll dig into that...

Thx for lending a ear.

Noah Laux
----------
</FONT>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2003-07-18 21:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2003-07-18 21:45 ]</font>
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

It sounded fine on my systems.
I love the whole arrangement, and of course the "trademark" vocals.
The bass is beautiful, as are the strings.
Perfectly understated in places. I can't wait for the whole track.
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

did someone say "portishead"...? :wink:

steady as usual thalamus, steady and interesting.
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Thank you, guys, for your nice comments. Also I'm happy if the sound is good on your systems.

I can't wait to finish this piece as well. I think it has a very strong character.

I'ld like to take the second refrain real far out, with some mean layered drums. Then again, I'ld like to keep the intimate feelings of the verse. I'm dragged in two directions.

Noah Laux
----------
</FONT>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2003-07-22 19:36 ]</font>
Valium

Post by Valium »

Have to agree with siberiansun on this one (Portishead-feel) and that's a good thing ...

Keep em coming!

Greetz
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

I don't usually listen to this sort of stuff on a regular basis but....

I think this is great! I love the female vocal and the atmosphere of this track.

Thalamus, I have listened to a few of your tracks and find that the overall sound/mix is extremely clean and accurate, atleast to my ears anyway. The quality of your work is a true reflection of what I hope to achieve!

Big respect to you!
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

whew, I'm very flattered to be compared to Portishead, which in my book, does some exellent music and programming.

I'll pass the comments of the vocal perfomance to the singer.

Deejaysly : thank you for your respect, and make a noize if you need help with something soundwize! (or whatever is on your mind :smile: )

I hope to have finished this track in a short time. Rigth now the refrain has gotten a little more pronounced and even more "upfront" in the second one. The flow and sound of the song is getting more glued together.

I think this is a very defficult piece of music to produce, but also extremely interesting (big cado to the singer, who actually wrote the song! I would be nothing without it).

Noah Laux
----------
</FONT>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2003-07-29 20:47 ]</font>
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

This song has been uploaded again in a new version.

I look very much forward to your comments in the progress.

I have a big problem in this song to simplify things.

Words about the mixing is very welcome, course I have real trouble with it. It has soo much bottom end and treble interference that I find it extreme difficult to choose EQ's and so on...
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
http://www.thalamus.dk
ubergrafik
Location: starting a beautiful relationship with modular 2...

Post by ubergrafik »

I actually think this singer sounds better than Beth Gibbons! The way everything comes and goes is very arresting and sucks me in...
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!
I think the strings are awesome. Sounds brilliant in cans, makes me shed a tear almost, lovely.
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

hi ubergrafik,

The vocalist is overwhelmed by your comment and gives you a big thank. I'm sure it boost her selfconfidence by a mountain.

Wow, if my arrangement can bring you to almost tears, I personatly think I can't ask for more.

thank you for sharing your thoughs.
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
MZ

Post by MZ »

Great and inspiring work. And as for your difficulties, just leave it and return in two months :smile:

I am a great fun of Portishead/Lamb myself, the comparison is inevitable, but who *** cares !? this is GOOD music!!!

MZ

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MZ on 2003-08-31 18:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MZ on 2003-08-31 18:42 ]</font>
Kamurah

Post by Kamurah »

Beautiful and Stunning!

You guys are really quite an amazing duo. I love the production work and the tune itself is just fantastic!

Thank you for sharing your art with us.

-K
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

On 2003-09-05 06:06, Kamurah wrote:
Beautiful and Stunning!

You guys are really quite an amazing duo. I love the production work and the tune itself is just fantastic!

Thank you for sharing your art with us.

-K
I'm not the one sharing the most. Your comments goes very much into the workflow of our songs.
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

I just gotta say, I LOVE THE VOCALIST! she is simply amazing, I have been producing for a while, I do electronic music, and have done some work with a few large acts, just to name a few, Junkie XL, Jungle Bros, and have been a pretty respected DJ for about 12 years, I like to think I have a good ear for talent, especially since I am so picky when it comes to vocalist's.

She has a very even essence sound, dark and deep, when I listen to this track it suits her so well, great job on the track aswell its wonderfull, I love the stings =) Please do me one small favor and tell the vocalist she has a fan here..

Cheers!
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I really like this new version, it´s great how this track opens once again to the end(strings,etc) brilliant.
One or two things though, around 5sec and 10 or 11sec I can hear some cliping or wrong cuts. :wink:

Keep it rolling Thalamus!
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Basic pitch: your comments goes straigth to the vocalist, I'm sure it will warm her heart.

ChrisW: Yeah, you are right about the pops, my computer at the time, wasn't strong enough to record the output from SFP.

Anyway this song has come far since this. The strings has become much more "real" sounding, the mix is more open, and I'm just about to finish it. I'll post the final cut when available.

Again, I have to thank you all for your comments, which has come part of the song.
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Lovely! I would like her voice slightly closer to me, a bit more up to front. I agree with many comments in here.

There is a nice developing or building up of the song, nice arrangement. The strings are very nice too and the disposition of the chords you have chousen to use.

Again, by the end, I would like to here the voices a little more present in the mix.

There is a lot of work in here, this is sure :smile:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

Hi Nestor and all you other nice people. Here's the final version of the song.

The Vocals is more in front, the strings sounds more natural, much EQ tweaking, and it has an ending (hurray!)...

Enjoy.
Yours truely

Noah Laux
----------