dug out an older piece

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

dug out an older piece

Post by kensuguro »

I found this older piece on my soundcloud... I remembered the general layout of the tune, but listening to it, it turned out to be a good find because the piece was much better than how I remembered it.

https://soundcloud.com/ken-suguro/interestingbass-tweak

I think it's one of those moments where I was able to get more honest with myself while writing the piece, and while I'm probably still technically more skilled than I was at that point, I don't think I can just sit down and top it. There's a lot going on, and at the base, I think the notable feature is that I seem to have put down ideas pretty raw and straight from my head. That's always a challenge to do, and in this piece, I think I was able to tune in quite well, and let it flow.
dawman

Re: dug out an older piece

Post by dawman »

Very creative.
Always seems to work that any too where things just happen and you discover you don’t have to have a high degree of difficulty in your music.
My son is constantly playing very catchy tunes by kids with no formal training.
Sometimes different sets of ears bring fresh ideas.

Cool tunes to you brotha’ man..
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Sometimes it happens, and ya, the idea seems to write itself. Other times though I've had to force it, and make the idea materialize with sheer will power. But obviously that's more typically music I do for work, that needs to do very specific things, and be done by a specific time. I think it's a skill either way, and professionally one shouldn't be better than the other. (in theory, at least)

I also think it's important to have the facilities to quickly capture ideas in a non-destructive, low resistance way, so as the keep the idea intact. That assumes certain level of fluency of the required skills, and if all of those are present, then it feels like the idea wrote itself. It's like your skills or lack of skills didn't get in the way to destroy the idea. Cooking with fantastic ingredients is like that.. You get a marvelous kobe style wagyu.. the thing itself is already fantastic, so best you can do is not eff it up.
dawman

Post by dawman »

All depending on who the audience will be.
Sometimes knowing that helps formulate ideas too.