Star System CentriFugue

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Star System CentriFugue

Post by dante »

A 15 minute 'experimental' electronic epic, composed recently as a follow up to a 1983 instrumental 'Atmosphere Legends'. For epics like this it helps to have some parameters to work within :

1) Should be 'through-composed'. By this I mean no overall structure, just sections that should transition musically from one to another.
2) In repetitious sections, there should be new elements appearing frequently to keep the attention of the listener.
3) Combine ambient textures and experimental sounds and effects with EDM type beats merging in and out
4) Use this as an opportunity to include newer Reason plug-ins that may not have been used before.
5) Use live electric guitar, sped up, reversed etc - as 'Atmosphere Legends' had this as a central element.
6) For Scope usage, there are the usual suspects - the John Bowen proTone for lead and proWave for synth pad duties.
7) Mastered using Scope @96Khz (dNa Multiband and DAS BrickMaster).

Around the 10:30 mark, I have mixed in my take on the 'Shepard generator continuous rising tone' discussed recently.

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/star- ... entrifugue
Secret Test Kitchen

Re: Star System CentriFugue

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

Thanks for sharing this Dante! You piece is sort of like a mixed album side like Jean-Michel Jarre’s Équinoxe or Giorgio Moroder’s E=MC2 (original vinyl record had the songs mixed together at the transitions between songs). I would like your piece better if it were entirely electronic (without the guitar and Hammond organ) but that’s just me.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks for listening Secret Test Kitchen. You might then like this one better (being all Electronic) :

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/x-atron

I loved Jarre's 'Concerts In China' in the 80's - so tried to get that kind of Epic Jarre feel into this one. He is an inspiration for sure.

Will have to check out E=MC2 !
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

massive piece indeed! I liked the beats around 2:28, probably could have used cooler drum samples but that's just a stylistic preference. The super synced lead that comes in a bit later sounds awesome. The hats around 12:00 sounds a bit too harsh and forward. I liked the calliope lead tho, stylistically very nostalgic. I think overall I feel the piece could use a bit more drastic variation in timbre and type of sounds. It seems like the core group stays consistent through the piece, and the section specific parts don't cluster strong enough for a theme to emerge so overall it seems similar sounds are weaving in and out. But maybe that was the effect you were going for, to not delineate the sections too much. (to your point about playing down the overall structure)