song to sell corns finally recorded

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

song to sell corns finally recorded

Post by kensuguro »

The vocal recording was supposed to be back in July so the song could be performed during the corn season, but it got pushed to October! So we're in the pumpkin season and root vegetable season and still singing about (reminiscing?) about corns. Anyway, cleaned up the mix a bit to better house the female vocals. Not much adjustment to the already heavily melodyned vocals, basically just made sure they sat right and were lifted a bit to not get lost in all the other stuff. It becomes more apparent with fairly nondescript vocals, but THERE'S A LOT OF STUFF! Too much I think, that's bad creative decision on my part.

One interesting thing I learned about the vocalist girl.. She's the same girl from the strawberry song. She's a champion unicyclist. Not just any unicycling, but unicycle performance like figure skating. Apparently that's a thing, and she's the champion. So traditionally she is not a vocalist, she's an athlete. Because of her (champion) unicycling background, she practices like a pro. (though she didn't get the concept of "swing" and sang 16th notes straight..) I was very impressed with how much sheer effort she put in to learning the song and getting everything not necessarily right, but to the best of her ability. And she's not a vocalist. There's the sports-like aspect of music that I think she understood very well. The vocals are.. well, you get what you get, but it was refreshing to see the somewhat lost art of practicing your shit come from a non-musician! Effort, sweat, and cursing at phrases you can't quite get right is what it's all about! Contradicting to all this is the totally melodyned out vocals, but she gets a pass. If you practice that much, you deserve some melodyne love.

Anyway, was a fun project. These food songs are becoming a fun annual project. I'm never sure if they actually sell a bunch of strawberries or corn, or whatever food item they're supposed to sell tho. I had pretty good corn during the summer straight from the farm so I guess that was my contribution. The whole concept of these songs is to get people to learn names of different varietals, so instead of just corn you can think, I want to eat so-and-so kind of corn because I want to grill it, or make corn soup, etc. Ok, I don't remember any of the varietals the song was about. lol Corn's just corn right, there's like white ones, really yellow ones.. (my lack of corn expertise painfully obvious)
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Marco

Re: song to sell corns finally recorded

Post by Marco »

This music is great. For my ears unusual but it could be a hit in the area where you live. The singing is a little bit like a sweet robot but it could be a kind of style. I guess I remember to a version without the autocorrection, I could not listen very long, this version is much better.
But you are a great composer, I hear that!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

I've always liked your style, Ken, keep it up :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yeah ! Nice ! This version is completly different from the first we hear, no ?

The synth chords around 1.30 are great ! I'm unable to do that.
At some moments, like at 1.50 and after, I can hear some chord voice, like oooh, very discret but nice.. How did you do that ? I can say if they are voices or synth but I would be glad you tell me your trick !

I must confess that listening for this kind of music is a bit tiring to me : there is no quiet moment and after a while, I could ask the singer to shut up if she was close to me... :D But I imagine some people could like it very much. I guess you show us this track also in order to have our point of view.... So I hate hypocrisy, so...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, the music is a bit on the crazy side. Or, well, "whimsical" maybe. I wanted it to feel like all these interesting disparate pieces were coming together but nooot quite. So like you can't quite tell if it wants to stay in one piece or crumble and fall apart.

JoPo:
The synth chords at 1.30 are pretty much just raw saw chords. I don't think I did anything fancy with the voicing for those.
The 1.50, not sure if you mean the pad-ish sounds. They're just detuned saws through a lowpass, doing parallel movement with a 1-5-9 block chord. (C-G-D if based on C) The trick to that sort of asian flavor is that the saws start a tiny bit flat, and pitch upward gradually, kind of like a bad reed instrument player. There's an actual traditional Chinese reed instrument ("sheng" in chinese, or "sho" in Japanese, the instrument gets around) that behaves sort of like that. It's a metal reed instrument sort of like a harmonica, and you breath in and out sort of like a harmonica. It's probably accurately a Chinese harmonica. When I bought one, I blew in to it and it made some sound. I was like "hey, this is easy stuff". I breathed in, and a whole lot of dust came out. I thought I was going to die. Apparently I didn't.

Yeah, I agree these pop things can start sounding flat and unidimensional after a bit. It's like pizza. It's difficult to eat a whole pie and not get sick of pizza.. but for people who JUST want to have pizza (like kids), that's all they want so you keep giving it to them!