Jazz Never Dies

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Jazz Never Dies

Post by dante »

Inspired by the Jazz Rock Fusion era of the 70's, this instrumental was first composed in the mid 80's then the 4 track master stolen along with a bunch of my other portastudio cassettes from a garage. :evil:

So I re-recorded it in 2007 - again loosing the Cubase file in a backup accident. :x

Now, re-recorded in 2015 for the 3rd time from scratch I guess that proves that Jazz Never Dies !

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/jazz-never-dies
ronnie

Re: Jazz Never Dies

Post by ronnie »

Real nice tracck. Amazing that you could recreate it! What's the lead synth? I would love to have that patch if possible.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah the opening chord progression took some figuring, still not sure if I got the original inversions :lol:

The leads are stock - well tweaked a bit, the first sort of harsh one with the +8ve harmonic in sustain is one of the original DX7 ROM leads. The other softer more analog sounding one that comes later is a proTone lead.

Ill put pics with the preset named later.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

:) Right, it's the ProTone preset I'd like. I thought it was that synth.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I like it. Sounds good. But are you sure the bass is mixed properly? I listen to all my music on my cheap soundbar with a small subwoofer (well it has bluetooth and it's also hooked up to my TV and record player). Your track had a lot more bass than all the other music I listen to on it normally. Otherwise, nice sounds.

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

@tom : Yeah it was a bit out of whack that mix. I've tweaked and re-uploaded it twice since then. Theres less bottom now but still may be a little OTT (?)

@ronnie: The proTone preset is called 'single-pulse-width' - it's probable that I tweaked it :
proTone: single-pulse-width
proTone: single-pulse-width
single-pulse-width.jpg (180.48 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
proTone is kind o a 'dont need yer analogs anymore' synth.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Thanks. That's it! Got it. Saved.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

That's why I love presets! You start with a good sound and make it sound great!

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Dante,

Yes, the bass sounds a lot better now. I listen to music all day long on these speakers and it sounds pretty close in terms of balance as the other usual stuff.

-Tom
dante

Re: Jazz Never Dies - 35th Aniversary Remix

Post by dante »

Now Remixed / Remastered using Harrison Mixbus, UAD2, Shreddage 2 and other updated technologies.

First recorded this on a 4 track Tascam Portatudio in 1984 with a cheap guitar with Boss pedals, Yamaha CX5 and a Yamaha DX7 and lots of bouncing.