Pendulum : A Pink Floyd Tribute.

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Pendulum : A Pink Floyd Tribute.

Post by dante »

With the passing of Pink Floyds Rick Wright, I thought it appropriate to complete a work I've had in progress for a long time called 'Pendulum'. Unlike a tribute band reproducing covers, Ive attempted to write an original using the style of Pink Floyd - similar sounds or idioms if you like.

Creamware gear used was Luna + Pulsar II ( total 9 DSP ) - using dynatube (marshall) stack for guitars. All signal chain is Creamware except an outboard multiband compressor. Bass guitar and vocals (yours truly) are live, organ, sax and drums are Yamaha outboard synths, and the pads are the awesome 'Thor' synth in Reason4 (rewired thru Cubase SL).
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by dante on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Re: Pendulum : A Pink Floyd Tribute.

Post by dante »

Yeah, the funky swing was supposed to be the 'pendulum' bit. each beat subdivided into triplets. Forgot to mention I used the TubeTaper plug in the mixdown path...a good warmer.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Tube Taper and Dynatube were well used.
Spectacular tribute.
" I don't like plays either ".... :lol:
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

For RW fans, BTW, the David Gilmour "Live In Gdansk" is worth grabbing. Everybody sounds great on that disc. Highly recommended.
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Richard Wright. See start of thread.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks for the +ve feedback. Regards Richard Wright, his solo career is an emigna in itself with 2 solo albums at opposite extremes - Wet Dreams a lowlight but Broken China almost up there with the best of any Floyd. I still think about Dark Side almost daily. Its like there was a six year era that started in 1967 with Sgt. Pepper's and ended in 1973 with Dark Side. Maybe its no coincidence that there was a common thread between the 2 bands production wise....
dawman

Post by dawman »

I never thought much about the 6 year span you speak of, an interesting insight as Dark Side gets played quite frequently. Truly Psychedelic.
My group does a pretty decent version nightly also. People love the stuff here in the States no matter what age.
Some of the best developed Guitar solos I recall. My favorite mic technique of a Ride cymbal on Us & Them where you can hear the nylon tipped stick, and seeing them live when I was 14 was spectacular.
55 Gallon drums of Flash Powder igniting, and several Voice Of The Theater 44 x 60's spanned the balconies for the first time ever. The change drawer at the beginning of Money and synths panned throughout the night. It's actually what caused me to want to use 5.1 live w/ an XITE-1. My fellow members are natural born lazy musicians and claim nobody will notice, and my reply is I NOTICE.
Here in Las Vegas & Lake Tahoe many Headliners and has beens come through frequently, but they don't make 'em like they use to. Even ELP was a bore last time I saw them.
While I do enjoy the visuals when sparsely used, it's the sound quality and desire to please your audience that have remained with me for years.

Your Tribute Was Gracious.
dante

Post by dante »

I think Pink Floyd music is highly visual, even discounting its psychadelic roots. Since I never heard the 60's stuff until way after I was familiar with Dark Side and Meddle. I've never seen them live - the nearest thing I did see was tribute band 'The Pink Floyd Experience' in '04 and even that was awesome. Good luck with getting the band to 'see the light(s)' :)

I've heard Rush are touring again, and that they have the reputation of being one of the few of the old school legacy outfits that can sustain a high level of musical interest into the current day.....
dante

Post by dante »

Now 6 years later, after being inspired by listening to the new Floyd album 'The Endless River' I decided to revisit 'Pendulum'.

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/pendulum-2014

Hopefully it shows a progression in production values since 2008, with secret weapons I didn't have back then including proTone, proWave, ToonTracks, DAS and dNa mastering plugins, Reason Rack Extensions like Olympus Chior.

I gave up on trying to emulate David Gilmours miked amp cab guitar sounds, with Native even the latest Amp models in Cubase and Reason are weak. The Line6 stuff in Reason gives good tone options, but doesn't sound like a live cab. The DG sound sites ( http://www.gilmourish.com/ ) say even Marshalls are too thin for his sound, but I got a 'decent' sound with the Dynatube Marshall combined with Mesa Cab. Its no Gilmour, but fits in the mix.
dawman wrote:The change drawer at the beginning of Money and synths panned throughout the night. It's actually what caused me to want to use 5.1 live w/ an XITE-1. My fellow members are natural born lazy musicians and claim nobody will notice, and my reply is I NOTICE.
Thats bullshit, the public DO notice as well, otherwise why do we have 5.1 surround theatres with 3D glasses ? Hi tech production - people love it.
stardust wrote:I agree. The music is visual. PF were not the first ones but they used natural sounds in their albums.

album ? yes it was called like that. :)

The wall shows but also the ones after Roger Waters period were always a visual festival.
Check out 'Endless River' - its 80% ambient instrumental - I haven't got to the last few tracks at the end with vocals, but so far this is a very visual album as you can expect being partially based on Rick Wright outtakes from 'Division Bell' sessions. A fitting tribute.