DnB ?

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

DnB ?

Post by dawman »

This is far from a finished track, but I could use a little help w/ some extra ears.

I am using Larry Seyers Acoustic Drums, and put them through the Ghetto Blaster Preset of HiFiBoom's BXD Valve device,..

I can't find a bass synth sound I like for subs in SFP yet, I am sure there are a couple pre's somewhere, but after 5 synths I grew weary and just used the trustworthy analog.

The mix is so, so as it's a VDAT unquantised thing. My fingers got sore doing the whole high-hat thing, and yes the snare rolls suck, but I am only interested in opinions on the Drum and Bass sound for now.

Please,....Be Cruel.
zangsta

Post by zangsta »

As always, there´s the question about the context it´s gonna end up in,
and the intentions of the artist.
But the base-drum feels a bit indistinct, and probably has some unneeded bottom, cut a lot under 100hz and see how that sounds. The snare is ok, but see if some middle around 250hz-450 needs to go downd and give it a bit more bottom, perhaps. They sound as they are in different spatial areas, maybe they need something to bring them more together...

Have to go..let´s see what the others come up with... :wink:

Jörgen
hubird

Post by hubird »

trash both immediately :-)
zangsta's analysis is perfect, but the best thing is don't use them ever again, or reload them in original state if you screwed them with eq-s or fx-s...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I can't do that before hearing other criticisms.

What I originally recorded needed no FX and sounded quite full.

This was an experiment to hear many opinions from everyone, especially the destruction guys.

I am confused on how much destrucrion should be applied.

It's suppose to have attitude as in NWA's radical approach to recording what many would consider crappy sounding kits, but that formula worked since the rappin' was the key element.

I should have a wet / dry example I suppose so you can at least hear the original track.

I really need near fields to do this low end stuff with more honesty though, my 32's and stereo sub are probably somewhat innacurrate.

Thanks Hubird, I respect your opinion when it comes to drums. :wink:
Last edited by dawman on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
hubird

Post by hubird »

was it cruel enough? :-D
Last edited by hubird on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Honesty is the best policy.......with monitors, and opinions. :wink:

I better break out those ancient NS-10's, I just played the track through my kids portable blaster and it was awful.

Instead of removing this I will replace it with a new track using the NS-10's.

The hardware studio these came from had 8 sets of nice near fields, I should have took the Urei's when we parted, instead I kept those worthless ADAT decks and the Ensoniq DP4.
pollux

Re: DnB ?

Post by pollux »

scope4live wrote: I can't find a bass synth sound I like for subs in SFP yet, I am sure there are a couple pre's somewhere, but after 5 synths I grew weary and just used the trustworthy analog.
Did you try the three-o-three? that phat bastard sounds like a charm!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I think it's more of a question of approach. To get into the dnb mentality you need to get some classic loops to work with, and cut 16th snippets, 8th snippets, or cut out one shots from loops. The sounds of the loops themselves dictate the resulting sound to a point, so if you prepare the loops yourself (using a drum library, instead of sampling) then you need to pre process it so that they're saturated, and most of the time, pretty light sounding, as if they were played 20% faster. (just the "lightness", but not the chipmonk-ness) The drums need to be some what light, to leave space for the sub bass. I don't think I've ever heard mega heavy drums.

Once you have the bits and pieces, then you can process them further, but from most I've heard (which isn't much, as I'm not into dnb), it's been saturation / eq type processes that change spectral content, rather than reverbs and delays. Since the music is fast, reverbs and delays are used sparingly since continuously sending to these would quickly saturate the space. At last that was my logic. So, this sort of imposes a style both in terms of musical content and also the overall characteristic of the sound.

For sub synth, it's probably not hard to get the "typical" one, which sounds like a sin kick with a sustain. (but its a bit square-ish) Of course, I'm sure there's been more evolution since that last time I've seriously listened to dnb. That synth's really easy to build in mod, just not sure which synth would have that as a preset. But it's probably a matter of time before you find one. I think dubsub had an awesome low end, not sure if it had a dnb specific preset. The bass with the bit of sweeping that you heard in chriskortf's track, which is a very classic sound, I think can be made with a square wave with a filter sweep (and maybe a sin an octave lower, at very little volume for "body"), maybe a bit of overdrive to pronounce the sweep a bit. If I remember, I think dubsub could d this just fine, with explosive low end, almost too intense.

Also, in terms of lines, notice how the bass mostly sticks to roots, diverging to at most a 5th or so.. not much melodic movement. It mainly accentuates the strong kick drum points. (so although they're cool, your funk phrases would be out of style) For the sustained kick drum sound, the tones don't seem to be harmonic, as in supporting the progression. It's most likely hitting different sweet spots of the subs. Find a couple that shakes the room, and use them as if they were roots of a progression, that sort of thing. Worked well for me in hiphop stuff I wrote only to be played back in a club.

There's a vst plugin called Glitch that does the chopping and dicing, and also lets you apply different effects per slice, through a very simple interface. Definitely not hardcore dnb, but it does simulate some of the steps in beat slicing.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The 303 sounds pretty FAT Brotha' Man Pollux, Thanks.

Kensuguro,...my Brotha'.

That's a great explanation you provided. I should have spoke with you before I embarrassed myself. :lol:

It's like song writing IMHO. You can be silent, and wait for that right hook line, and miss the train, or you can provide dozens of ideas and suffer the rejection. I prefer the latter, total embarrassment. At the end of the day, collaboration and several examples will win.

Let this be a record of my embarrassment.

As We Say In Vegas, You Can't Win If You Don't Go.

Let's hope this thread sinks to bottom of the page quickly. :wink:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

it's great, you're really pumping great energy into the music forum! It's been low profile for a while, definitely lower than its high times. I should get back into chronically posting music too!
pollux

Post by pollux »

Just a thought.. The SPL Transient designer could also be of some use here for playing with the room the drums take in the mix..

Never tried to modulate the settings through a real time controller or an lfo, but if it's possible, it could lead to some interesting effects...
borg

Post by borg »

I'd say Stephen Hummel is the king of sub.

His DubSub (or SubDub?) speaks for itself... Also SparC or Europa have some pretty classic deep sounds...

I wrote this while listening on the crappy mac mini speakers so can't comment on sound of your track, but isn't this way too slow for d'n'b?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

For real authentic dnb sound, Assaf once told : Just sample a hoover patch, then play the sample in any tortured way you like.

The sample could be taken from flexor3 patch named hooverbass, made by Assaf if i remember... ;-)

That's the killer dnb patch i'd say

And btw, i also love the dubsub...

Goofy from Celmo is also pretty cool for dnb sounds