Silencer

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Genre: Ambient<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Uses: Pulsar Effects,Pulsar Mixers<BR> copyright © 2004 Sybil's ORbit<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR> This is an ambient piece I have just finished. The picture behind the music is quite dark and sinister, but not over the top.
I'm quite happy with the idea and content but not sure about the mix. Help with ideas on that would be great.
I ended up bussing through the SFP's STM 1632 and set up some Verbs to route back to Cubase. I tried to get extra space and positioning of the vocals and sound effects by just using the wet send and none of the source material.
I used two instances of Crystal Synth and one of CM's SR202 (kick) - that's really about it.
Quite minimal. The vocals were samples taken from Urban Source CD ( again ).

It's 136BPM but the beat is almost half time, so it's probably 68BPM.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hi over there.
First of all what came into my mind, the stringish choirish odd sound shouldn´t be so wide in the panorama. I would hear it in the middle only, maybe 5-10 left and right. It carries the track and should be easy to orientated.
In this actual case it vanishes with the other sounds.
I really like the foot steps to the end.
Also I would hear the vocals more in the front, just compress them a bit more as the other sounds and they will stand out.
I hear no reference point in this track.
A question, for what this track was born?
Only my first imagination.

cheers
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Nicely hypnotic, nicely ambient.
As you say quite minimalistic.
Excellent track.
Sounds fine through headphones and speakers.
I'd bring the vocals up a bit more though in the mix.
You could also add another vocal line at the end with the footsteps - one of them saying "thank you" :lol:
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Excellent track.
You could also add another vocal line at the end with the footsteps - one of them saying "thank you" :lol:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Very minimal and almost chillout music rather than ambient perhaps ? But then, what defines ambient ?

Nice tones and surprisingly pleasant and non-repetitive even when looped around a few times.
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

On 2004-03-15 06:44, ChrisWerner wrote:
I hear no reference point in this track.
A question, for what this track was born?
Only my first imagination.

cheers
Firstly, thank you for your suggestions about the mix. I will play with the string sound and see what happens if I can centre it in the mix. I agree that it gets lost at the moment, but I want to be careful it doesn't overtake the ambience. I think it was the stereo width I added with the final mastering (???) I'm going to keep the vocals back in the mix because I like the distance - they're in the same space as the other incidental sounds, the footsteps, wind and old reel projector at the end - but maybe this doesn't work as well for the vocals as the other sounds?

THE STORY

The basic idea (picture) I had behind the music was to create a psychological tension. There are two characters in the story. I used the same girl's voice and pitched it down to try and create an eery sense of "something's not quite right" .
Someone has been lured away with the promise of sexual excitement and exploration. Innocence being taken over by perversity.
It's a dark image, but not necessarily or unnecessarily violent.
Maybe this doesn't quite work?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blgrace on 2004-03-15 15:17 ]</font>
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

On 2004-03-15 10:16, Spirit wrote:
Very minimal and almost chillout music rather than ambient perhaps ? But then, what defines ambient ?

Nice tones and surprisingly pleasant and non-repetitive even when looped around a few times.
Thanks for your comments. Yeah look, I had a tussle trying to figure out the correct genre for this. It is chill out music for sure, but I had the story in my head and convinced myself it was an ambient piece :grin:

I think maybe the kick drum pattern goes a long way to making it less repetitive ? A change for the better in my case.
---xxxxxxxx---
And Charlie said: "I'm cool with that" and set fire to a posh hammer to make it official
---xxxxxxxx---
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

On 2004-03-15 09:42, Neil B wrote:
Excellent track.
Thanks for your comments. I think I will stick to my guns and keep the vocals coming from the dungeon "hole in the floor" I was really hoping that someone would listen to this through headphones !!! and you were the one to mention it. I idea is definitely meant for that space. If you catch a hint of the vocals from the speakers - you would want to throw the headsets on just to make sure "she did say that!!" :grin:

Hmmm.... the "thank you" idea would work on multiple levels for both characters :grin: You really are as twisted as I am aren't you!!! Bad Neil , BAD Neil :lol:

Thanks mate, cheers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blgrace on 2004-03-15 15:37 ]</font>
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

On 2004-03-15 15:31, blgrace wrote:
You really are as twisted as I am aren't you!!! Bad Neil , BAD Neil :lol:
Sorry Brett - does this mean I have to iron my hands AGAIN? :lol:
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Nice track, cool idea it works a treat.

I reckon the mix is pretty spot on.
for me the string/synth sound, sounds fine wide, it works.
i also think that the vocals are just the right level. sure enough you can't really hear whats said on first listen but it makes a person listen more the next time, and then you can hear what is said "i never done this before".
only negative opinion is that mabye the kick could be less boomy to fit in with the mix.

Great idea nice and moody. right up my street. this may sound odd but moody/dark uplifts me :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid EDGE on 2004-04-06 17:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid EDGE on 2004-04-06 17:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Liquid EDGE on 2004-04-06 17:32 ]</font>
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

Thanks for your review Liquid EDGE
I was just listening to the mix in the car today and was thinking the kick was maybe a bit out there ( I was going for a heart beat motif for tension) - I haven't had a chance to get back to it and play with other ideas - but I think it's on the cards now. Thanks again

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: blgrace on 2004-04-07 07:18 ]</font>