New FX: Saturator

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

soren_jepsen

New FX: Saturator

Post by soren_jepsen »

Hi all.

:: UPDATE 31/3 2020 - version 2::
There was a dc artifact on the outputs of the device - it's been filtered out. I now include the redistributable in the zip file.

HEADS UP; Mehdi reported an error message regarding the asio driver, possibly after installing the redistributable (he's using scope5). I've not seen this error myself though, but here's a fair warning. Mehdi reinstalled Scope5 to get rid of the error.

---

Sooo, too much time on your hands (get them out of your pants).......hey, I made rhyme :lol: )

Here's a little free saturation FX - hope you like it. The dll makes this win7/10 only (you're free to try others, but no promises). Install as usual (ask if in doubt :-) )

If you find any erros, by all means throw me a message.
Udklip.PNG
Udklip.PNG (15.57 KiB) Viewed 11063 times
Attachments
Saturator v2.zip
(13.64 MiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by soren_jepsen on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spielraum

Re: New FX: Saturator

Post by Spielraum »

thx man.
beatiful fresh design
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
LorenOA76

Post by LorenOA76 »

Soren,
Superb SOUND & Beautiful design!!!
Thank you very much!
Loren
spacef

Post by spacef »

missing dsp file for me (scope v 5) (may be it is only for scope 7?).
you might want to rename the i/o InL & InR, OutL & OutR eventhough it did not stop it from loading in insert slots.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

spacef, what OS are you on with Scope5?

I haven't made an FX before, so I played around with the pad-names. This seemed to work, but I'll try your suggestions if I need to update something.

The dll was made in MVCP 2017. I'll try it out in Scope5 on W7 tomorrow.

Cheers
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks soren! very BIG sound using low resources. Have to be very careful with the SAT though
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi Soren, I am on win 7 x64
The i/o naming convention was important before (long time ago) otherwise you could not load an fx in insert slot.
Your device showed me that this is not important anymore :-) (except if you want the fx to follow general scope naming conventions still used by SC effects).

I am an ignorant, what is MVCP 2017 ? (I just searched in google and did not find anything related to audio or programming or else).

I also suppose that you developped it in SDK 7 ? (as your pack did not include any dsp file, and scope 5 asks for the dsp file "Saturation", I supposed that it is a dsp file that is in Scope/sdk 7 only, so i guess that is not really your fault and it is also the way it is supposed to be with new atoms).

Welcome on-board anyways :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

Spacef, I forgot! MVCP 2017 = Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 The dll needs a "redistributable package". The version installed with Scope5 isn't enough, you'll need a newer version. I'll add it to the top post. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers
spacef

Post by spacef »

well i have visual studio 2019 but I installed the latest redistributable (vc_redist.x64.exe) and it works now in scope 5.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Hello

Big thnaks!
Where do you put the dll file?
I use XP for the moment the dsp is missing.
I will try with the redistribuable.

Will see
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

@Ditykman

I'm sorry, the dll doesn't work on XP :-(
I'll see if I can do something about that, but no promises unfortunately.

So, just for your information, you install a dll file, by putting it in the App/Dll/ folder of your Scope directory (usually something like C:\Program files\Scope).

Cheers
binaural

Post by binaural »

Very nice, thanks a lot!

What's the reason the meters go up statically, even when there's no input signal present? I don't hear it, but it looks bad(ass):)
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Ok thank you!

Jean
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

@binaural
I'm not shure I follow - what meters?
spacef

Post by spacef »

i think it is about vu meters of mixers where the effect is plugged or inserted.
it is DC offset and you can get rid of it with the DC filter insert effect (or by adding 'dc blocking filter' module inside the device).
(tip for spacef users: those who use the modular mixer v2 can use "dc" button of the rec channel, it will remove the dc offset when recording to a daw, but not in the direct "live" sound where you can use the DC filter fx, do not use both at the same time though (ie insert fx DC + rec channel DC because it is useless to chain several dc filters).
i hope it helps !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Hi,

Why the redistributable is needed?

its only for newer Windows OSes or its because of how the SDK was used for this plugin?

Im asking this because afaik you can't write code for Scope, if you can please tell me!

thanks
jpo
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

You can make a DLL, that's basically code running on Windows, but accessible in Scope (someone else can probably explain it more correctly :-) ). In the "old days" you had both async and sync IO windows <-> Scope, but today it's only async (and midi) updated about every 50ms (?).

I made the DLL in Visual Studio 2017, so therefore the included redistributable is needed.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Yes, very clearly, So you can connect a Scope device with a MS Windows dynamic linked library .dll (the standard method in old windozes, i made some at 90s, for multimedia) for async data at 50ms fixed rate, rigth?

if so, im interested. I prefer Modular to SDK but i will install it if theres any dll example project to start studiing SDK. I always believed you can not write code in any way for Scope devices.

Do you know of any Hello World DLL project for Scope SDK? I didnt found it...

I'd like to think about a simple javascript module like open source VCVrack's Prototype. Do you think it could be done for Scope?

Thanks,
jpo
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
soren_jepsen

Post by soren_jepsen »

You can do (almost) anything, as long as you're dealing with async "signals". You can send int, float, even arrays (bit tricky) between win<>Scope. Strings Scope -> win is ok afaik, but the other way is very unstable. Midi signals also, but with the 50ms delay. There may be a way to shorten this, but I haven't tested it.

I haven't succeded in sync signals either, I'm nut shure works at the moment....

Not surpisingly, it's not too well documented. Are you familiare with the BC Modular Forum?