Matrix Mixer

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

mausmuso

Matrix Mixer

Post by mausmuso »

VERSION 5 is now available and it should load on DSP Cards. See the later post for details and for downloading version 5.

UPDATED to version 4!
Another Mixer!!
This is a 16 x 8 stereo matrix mixer.
Each of the 16 Channels can be routed to the stereo out as well as one or more of the 8 busses.
Each channel's inputs can be switched to stereo, stereo reverse, mono, left only or right only.
There is a Record out the can record individual channels, busses or the stereo mix. This might be useful for stemming or the like.
The VU meters are associated with the Stereo Mix out. They are more for show, but are reasonably accurate around -3 - 0 db.

Unfortunately version 4 mixer will likely be only useful for XITE users as it is reasonably heavy on DSP and has been set to load on DSP 8,9 and 10.

I hope it is useful to you.
maus
MatrixMixer.png
MatrixMixer.png (146.23 KiB) Viewed 5259 times
MatrixMixer v4.zip
(2.6 MiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by mausmuso on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jksuperstar

Re: Matrix Mixer

Post by jksuperstar »

Ooh, this looks really nice maus, i really like the simplified matrix view you added in. It's all very clean and simple!

But what is really great is all the busses are stereo!! I'm in dub-ping-pong heaven. Thanks!
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

No probs JK
Let me know if you have any issues with it.
maus
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I forgot to mention earlier that each buss has a mid side function that can be switched on or off.
You could, for instance, send one or more channels to a buss and pull out the mids to add an effect, and send the same channels to a second buss to do something with the sides.
There are other possibilities as well such as NY drum mixing etc.
regards
maus
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Parallel compression is exactly what I was thinking, it's perfect. The M-S on sends is a really great idea!

Two other features (or requests?) I've seen that make a mixer "musical" is to allow B2 to mix in from B1, B3 to also mix in B2, etc, so chains of effects can be built, like delay into reverb, with gain on out effect output. Feedback into the same buss is something I've done on analog mixers (and Roy's last mixer), to give more of a punch to a parallel compression effect.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Much thanks, it appears this will do some things I set up with SpaceF's Modular Mixer, but more neatly, because I'm a total slob in my project window.

Also, I really appreciate your good work, anything nice I could do for you, or maybe just donate to the forum on your behalf?
David

Post by David »

Wow maus youve been busy - this looks great
Thank you
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

jksuperstar wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:59 pm Two other features (or requests?) I've seen that make a mixer "musical" is to allow B2 to mix in from B1, B3 to also mix in B2, etc, so chains of effects can be built, like delay into reverb, with gain on out effect output. Feedback into the same buss is something I've done on analog mixers (and Roy's last mixer), to give more of a punch to a parallel compression effect.
I was going to implement something along this line, but was worried about hitting DSP connection limits (been there a couple of times already).
I was going to make B1 - B6 mixable into B7 and B8.
I think this will do what you are describing?
I will give it a go and see how it works out.
maus
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
Please note I have uploaded a version 2 of the mixer.
Download from the first post.
This version allows Busses 1 - 6 to be sent to B7 and/or B8 to provide another level of submixing (Submix the submixes!!).
Of course, these 2 new submixes can be mixed in with any of the input channels sent directly to B7 or B8.
More complex parallel mixing is now possible.
I hope this will assist you in your work
regards
maus
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

This might be my new mixer, It's great!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks Maus, this is a really nice mixer with lots of capabilities.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes it is.
I tried to get developers to build an 8 Buss with 4 AUX and was told it’s not really do able.
But you have 8 x STEREO BUSS which is EXACTLY what I’d like with 4 x AUX per channel.

This would run 4 x Separate IEM Mixes and give me a Mix Out just for FOH or stage Monitors.

If you think you could ever design a live performance mixer in DSP please pm me.
I’ll give you 500 bucks just for R&R.
Send it to me when you’re done, then share it here with my brothers.

See what you did now? Got me all feverish and shit.
But I’m not playing I’m serious.

Besides I quit 3rd grade in school just cause they had recess and I don’t Play.

Fantastic Mixer though.
Mono and Stero options, trim on the channel, SSL Buss layout, phasing options (most I ever saw).
The VU Meters are a nice touch and accurate according to me Analyzers and measuring tools.

Ankyu
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Dawman,
I will have play at adding 4 x Auxs.
I did run into connection problems and struggled to optimise the mixer so it would load properly in its current form.
The other developers may have reach this impasse as well.
Don't worry about money, I see this as my hobby.
Buy your lady something pretty :)
maus
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
I have updated the MatrixMixer to version 3.
This version now has 4 Aux return channels and Head Phones monitoring features.

By deselecting a buss from the final mix (Green Buttons) and utilising the direct outs, each of the Busses can act as an Auxiliary send.
These are then supported by the 4 Aux Return Channels to get them back into the stereo mix.
Complex routing is possible also by sending one or more channels to buss 1 through 6.
These busses can, in turn, be further sent to Buss 7 and/or 8.
So you could send channels to (say) B2 which has been decoupled from the mix to act as an Aux send and, at the same time, send B2 to B7 for further mixing and mashing before reaching the stereo master via B7 and also via a Aux Rtn Channel.

The Phones out can be switched to the stereo mix or to one of the Buss Channels.
It provides monitoring 'before' any mutes so material and mixes may be previewed prior to going live to monitors, FOH or IEM etc.

I think one of the great features of this mixer is the ease and flexibility in setting and saving complex routing presets.
I have included a couple of 'Test' Presets to demonstrate some of the routing possibilities
- pay attention to the blue and green buttons as well as the matrix at the top of the mixer to see what is going on. I think you will quickly see what is possible.
You might also see that the Record out could be used as an extra send channel, which has the added advantage that you can send an individual input channel to some external effect and bring it back via one of the Aux Rtns.

The new version can be downloaded from the first post here.
I hope it assists you in your work
maus
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Fantastic work there Maus, I look forward to trying this out. Thanks again :)
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

Thanks for all the incredible contributions Maus!
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

mausmuso wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 pm Hi There,
I have updated the MatrixMixer to version 3.
This version now has 4 Aux return channels and Head Phones monitoring features.

By deselecting a buss from the final mix (Green Buttons) and utilising the direct outs, each of the Busses can act as an Auxiliary send.
These are then supported by the 4 Aux Return Channels to get them back into the stereo mix.
Complex routing is possible also by sending one or more channels to buss 1 through 6.
These busses can, in turn, be further sent to Buss 7 and/or 8.
So you could send channels to (say) B2 which has been decoupled from the mix to act as an Aux send and, at the same time, send B2 to B7 for further mixing and mashing before reaching the stereo master via B7 and also via a Aux Rtn Channel.

The Phones out can be switched to the stereo mix or to one of the Buss Channels.
It provides monitoring 'before' any mutes so material and mixes may be previewed prior to going live to monitors, FOH or IEM etc.

I think one of the great features of this mixer is the ease and flexibility in setting and saving complex routing presets.
I have included a couple of 'Test' Presets to demonstrate some of the routing possibilities
- pay attention to the blue and green buttons as well as the matrix at the top of the mixer to see what is going on. I think you will quickly see what is possible.
You might also see that the Record out could be used as an extra send channel, which has the added advantage that you can send an individual input channel to some external effect and bring it back via one of the Aux Rtns.

The new version can be downloaded from the first post here.
I hope it assists you in your work
maus
I can’t wait to try this, I was trying to figure it out but your explanation sure helps.
It’s brilliant using Direct Outs as Sends, mon traditional, but it just might work for sending out 4 separate Montior mixes for IEMs.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
I have updated the mixer again (See post 1 above)
This time I have added gain controls to channel sends to the 8 busses.
You can access the gains/attenuators by clicking the new green buttons associated with the matrix (Channel Mapping).
The pots are hidden under the checkboxes.
This should now allow variable sub mixes to be set for each buss.
Remember each buss has direct outputs and can be used as Auxiliary sends for foldback/IEM etc.
The setup of Aux sends can be monitored via headphones if needed.
BTW, I did find a number of Buss wiring errors made in earlier versions, so you might want to update to ensure these do not become an issue for you.
regards
maus
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

Hi Maus.
I don't have a Xite1 but have a V7 Scope System with 2x14+1x6. Should I be able to load it?
I tried it but Scope 7 crashes.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Ripper wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:16 am Hi Maus.
I don't have a Xite1 but have a V7 Scope System with 2x14+1x6. Should I be able to load it?
I tried it but Scope 7 crashes.
Yes it was optimised for XITE, mostly on DSP 8, 9, 10.
I did this as I ran into connections issues when SCOPE was left to decide what DSP it was deployed on.
I might update it so unused channels and busses are switched off and see how that goes.
Stay tuned
maus