Patchbays

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

mausmuso

Patchbays

Post by mausmuso »

Hi Guys
I have developed a couple of patchbays that you might find useful.
One is a straight forward 2424 jackfield and the second just adds VU's and trim pots to manage weak or hot input signals
The text faders allow porting of channels to any output channel
Main difference from a physical patch bay is you can port more than one input to each output
Stereo locks left and rights to work together
The yellow LEDs (centre of the input/output jacks) are mutes.
regards
maus
iPatchbays.png
iPatchbays.png (214.47 KiB) Viewed 13150 times
iPatch.zip
(6.47 MiB) Downloaded 457 times
David

Re: Patchbays

Post by David »

Thank you very much.
Happy New Year to you.
scary808

Post by scary808 »

Fantastic!!! Thank you for the great device...so useful.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

that's great! thanks maus
dawman

Post by dawman »

Maus you're killing me....
Always very useful stuff, always.

Ankyu
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Thanks Guys,
simple exterior
wicked amount of switching and logic required for a 24x24 matrix
Hope they are useful
maus
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

thanks
small routing with meterbridge, grandioso
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

IPatch is exacly what I need, but why is it so DSP-hungry ?

Using the "VU-less" version, it costs 3 DSP-"bars".

If I would use 3 empty modular2 instead, this costs just 1 DSP-"bar".

Can it be optimised ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

nebelfuerst wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:02 pm IPatch is exacly what I need, but why is it so DSP-hungry ?

Using the "VU-less" version, it costs 3 DSP-"bars".

If I would use 3 empty modular2 instead, this costs just 1 DSP-"bar".

Can it be optimised ?
Hey there,
Yes I am was not that good at optimising when I built this.
When I get a moment I will check to see how difficult it might be to optimise,
regards
maus
at0m

Post by at0m »

I think, like many 3rd-party mixing devices and their buses/sends, these patchbays have, under the hood, all connections connected all the time. That makes these devices way more inefficient compared to stock CW/SC devices, which seem to dynamically make the connection as selected by the user.

What a joy it would be if someone could find out how to go about that and explain howto to fellow 3rd-party dev and SDK users.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Thank you mausmuso for your quick reply. I also own the SDK, but I'm no wizard and have no idea what might cause this load.
As I use two ipatches in one project, this question came up.
( As I started out with a single pulsar1, watching DSP-load did never stop, even on Xite. It seems to be part of my DNA now )
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Last edited by Spielraum on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Do you mean old big mixer? is this project open in sdk? it was really complex early device.

I have a design question, if i have 10 cables multiplexed to one so only one connection at a time, dsp resources used are equivalent to one or to 10?

thanks,
"MIDI is the languaje of Gods" (anon)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

at0m wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 am I think, like many 3rd-party mixing devices and their buses/sends, these patchbays have, under the hood, all connections connected all the time. That makes these devices way more inefficient compared to stock CW/SC devices, which seem to dynamically make the connection as selected by the user.
What a joy it would be if someone could find out how to go about that and explain howto to fellow 3rd-party dev and SDK users.
Actually Simon did use the Sdk module in question for his BCModular modules, not for switching off unused stuff but for seeing what modules are connected and what are not.
At some point I thought about using it for my mixers but was too lazy. (the mixer channels have onOff switches anyway.)
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Yes theres a module to check if a module is connected but i understand in Modular you cannot connect modules programmatically, only by hand on mouse. So i figure its used for dev module debug only.

I don't know any way to connect / unconnect sockets in Modular or Scope routing other than by hand.

I have designed my own 16x16 sync matrix in Modular for my own Korg MS-20 clone i have almost finished.
I can share it, i'll start its own thread soon.

my Matrix is made of two async 16to1 index switches. One is for patchbay outputs and the other for the inputs. Then there are 16 1x16 different sync switches for outs and other 16 16x1 sync siwtches for ins. So I have to manually make more than 16x16 ccable connections. I have made first 5x5 and it works well. But im afraid 16x16 cables are a lot for the chip.

So in my design you have all the possible connections and using switches you get only 16 active cable conections at a time. All the other cabling is connected but routed to nowhere.

Big, big Problem with Scope is i can not finsh dev projects because at the middle of a synth build I start playing it and then this sound, you know. I have been playing my unfinished MS-20 for months. I start Scope to finish dev but then yes i play music and never finish and share dev! Don't blame me as Im Scope victim! haha its also taking me years to finish mi personal surround live drumkit haha
cheers
jpo
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

jpo_midigods wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:05 am Yes theres a module to check if a module is connected but i understand in Modular you cannot connect modules programmatically, only by hand on mouse.
The Sdk module I mentioned isn't able to connect something itself, it only recognises if something is connected or not, i.e. gives 1 if connected, 0 if not connected.
jpo_midigods wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:05 am So i figure its used for dev module debug only.
err, no, you can do various other things with it too, e.g. Simon's BCM module 'connectivity checker', or module de/activation.
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

I can see it now, module is Socket State Switch and it can be used to check if maybe user has connected a midi cable for external clock, or if OutR is connected also with OutL then autoswitch to stereo mode,

Also maybe for an error message text that alerts user about device unconnected in project window so no sound, by Using the texts array module.

mmm still not really useful to me mmm but yes! while writing this message I see clearly i have it almost ready in Modular,

An easy midi controlable, audio/midi/cv/sync/async integrated patchbay for Scope. You connect cables to it as user. You can then change connections by sending two midi ccs, one for the input and the other for the output. Device autochecks if connection has sense, then switches routings... ok lets see if i can build a standalone patchbay in Modular by "externalizing" my MS20 one.
Thanks Roy, you gave me the idea

jpo
jpo_midigods

Post by jpo_midigods »

Oops. I can't make it work. I type in module name and connector but... nothing.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

It's actually quite simple.
Make async connections with this UP Module to see how it's done.
(I mixed up Pad1 and Pad2, sorry)
at0m

Post by at0m »

roy thinnes wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:43 am
at0m wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 am I think, like many 3rd-party mixing devices and their buses/sends, these patchbays have, under the hood, all connections connected all the time. That makes these devices way more inefficient compared to stock CW/SC devices, which seem to dynamically make the connection as selected by the user.
Actually Simon did use the Sdk module in question for his BCModular modules, not for switching off unused stuff but for seeing what modules are connected and what are not.
At some point I thought about using it for my mixers but was too lazy. (the mixer channels have onOff switches anyway.)
Regarding the On/Off switches: do they actually disconnect paths and unload from DSP what's turned off? If so, that would be progress indeed. "All paths connected all the time" is one of the reasons I seldomly use any 3rd party routing cos that makes these 3rd party devices such a DSP hog (in this topic, the patchbays)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio