Creamware Softclip - tape saturation effect for mastering

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

Creamware Softclip - tape saturation effect for mastering

Post by Shroomz~> »

Slightly naughty release because this is a Creamware development and not mine to give away as such, but I'm sure SonicCore will be cool with the Scope community getting a little gift for their loyalty. Besides, this was already used in many of the free devices over the years, including some of the free devices I released myself. Hey, nobody told us we couldn't use it... ;)

So.... Here you have the Creamware/SonicCore softclip module saved as mono and stereo effects. This is the same softclip found in some of the mix & mastering plugins such as optimaster & various others. This module has also featured at the input &/or output stages of many Scope devices over the years, including many free ones. It's also included in certain Scope software packages, but not all of them, so you either have it or don't have it already. Here's some more info (from the Optimaster manual):
SoftClip
: SoftClip "intercepts" digital overload. It comes into play at a specified threshold level and limits the output signal via a "flat" curve. A setting of 100% corresponds to a threshold level of -4 dB. Lower settings shift the threshold progressively higher. At 0%, the threshold is 0 dB and SoftClip is effectively disabled.

SoftClip emulates the compression behavior of analog tape saturation. This permits you to develop output signal levels in the Dynamics section of up to +2 dB without causing digital distortion.

In use:
If you use Optimaster or other Scope mastering plugins which have this softclip in them, then it's probably not wise to use this on top unless you specifically want to over-use the effect for over-saturation/distortion.

If however, you don't use Optimaster or other mastering plugs which have the softclip in them, then you might find this very useful because you can insert this at the final stage of your mix bus to get the beautiful effect it produces added to your mix. ;)
Attachments
Creamware_Softclip.rar
(60.15 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Last edited by Shroomz~> on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Re: Creamware Softclip - tape saturation effect for masterin

Post by dawman »

Thank you for this early morning Grenich Time present.
Thanks for the mono and stereo versions too, that's nice.
Very handy, I like it on the SE-1 @ 100%. I usually have to use the SE-1s hardware switch for this effect, and sadly it's not MIDI'd since it's a hardware modification.
But this adds the same flavor, but can be controlled via Insert Mode now.

Ankyu...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Yes, it's very useful as a fattening effect too, especially on kick drums, basslines etc or even whole drum breaks/drum mixes. You can easily use the mono softclip to fatten up your kick drum at the same time as slapping the stereo version on your mix bus. You just need to use your ears because it's quite noticeable at times when you're starting to overuse the softclip's saturation effect. A little overuse can sound great at times though.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Thanks Mark you the man !
dawman

Post by dawman »

I stuck the Mono version inside of a Mono MIDI Shell and ran the SE-1X into soft clip out > Mono2Stereo samples delay > my Speakers and it sounds just as good as the hardware distortion switch. I was surpised.
I especially like how its diiferent from your mono Tube 1U dev, and the FATs from SpaceF.
I have 5 x mono saturators I use, 2 of them are yours now.
I think having so many choices is just great.

Thanks Again Sport...
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

I'm not going to spank you Naughty man, just say:
BIG THANKS!
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Won't people start confusing this with the 'main' soft clip effect ?
Soft Clip M/S
The SoftClip module permits the
loudness of a signal to be boosted
without introducing digital overload
distorion (hard clipping). Even with
signals which are already at the
maximum level, an apparent loudness
increase can be produced. In addition,
the sound takes on a warmer, more
"analog" character. Both mono and
stereo versions of the effect are provided.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

FrancisHarmany wrote:Won't people start confusing this with the 'main' soft clip effect ?
Good point, since it does come in certain software packages and some people will indeed already have it. Other people on the other hand, won't have it.... I've edited the OP to reflect this, thanks Francis! ;)

Either way, no need for confusion, it's the exact same device. If you have it already, then you don't need this, if you don't have it already, then I suggest you do need this.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Yes! The name is confusing I had tried it thinking it was a some type of limiter and it surprised me that it actually made the sound fat !
dawman

Post by dawman »

I actually don't have this on my Scope DSP card rig.
Came with the XITE-1 in the Mastering Folder.