Reel Decks emulation

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

geoffd99

Reel Decks emulation

Post by geoffd99 »

Hi all
I used to do long loop Fripp/Eno style experiments using up to 4 reel decks, with one tape between, and the outputs layered (recorded) back on.

I have the Celmo plugins for echo/delay, and all the Scope fx etc.

I am about to start setting up some loop delay multis (but in a few days I have to install my old cards first).

Any one else done this? I might only use Scope fx to keep it standard.

Would use delay, distort, compression (tube), tremolo, perhaps pitch shift (for tape print through weirdness) etc.

My old real reel decks were an Akai 4000ds, a Ferrograph (large, can't recall mark), and a couple of home / 1950s style decks, Grundigs I think, which played back only, through their own speakers, and were picked up by mics. All a bit lo hi which added to the sound effects. This was a physical layout of 4 decks around a room.

Will keep you posted on this thread. Edited pieces of music will go on the music site below, and on here first in demo form
Thanks
Geoff
www.recotist.com
Mr Arkadin

Re: Reel Decks emulation

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I'd be really interested in seeing your project when it's done. I used to have old tape decks when I was in my early teens bought from car boot sales and would run long tape loops around my bedroom (much to the dismay of my parents) - at different speeds, reverse etc. and would splice random phrases from radio news broadcasts into Burroughs-style cut-ups and loop them.

Kind of miss those lo-fi days.

Reloopah and LOOPlay devices might be worth a go.
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Hi
yes that was my sort of use. I once had a mic out the window in one of these setups and recorded a car accident... by accident.

Was/am into that sort of ambient/mix music, but the pleasure is in the making...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Back in the '90s we used to live on the main road (Camberwell Road - you probably know it) and being somewhat, shall we say, lively out there we used to stick a mic out the window and pick up the Camberwell 'ambiance' :D (usually police sirens racing past, heh). In fact I had an idea for a whole series of tracks called Camberwell Nights but I never finished it. May start up that project again.
geoffd99

Post by geoffd99 »

Yes this was in Sheffield home of Cabaret Voltaire and many strange musics, I had a band later doing tape loops etc live.

I am in SW18 now. Time for a revival of all this music, just getting the time to set up such things, and space, hence the Scope emulation. Not the same but OK. I was going to do it with 4 amps n 8 spkrs but that got vetoed as it was in the front room!
G