TUTOR VIDEO - Make a synth in Scope SDK in less than an hour

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

TUTOR VIDEO - Make a synth in Scope SDK in less than an hour

Post by spacef »

Make a synth in Scope SDK in less than an hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwSm_JaOBxU

- The video shows all important processes, from scratch to preseting and even some photoshop works (very basic).
- No device is available for download because the aim of the video is DIY
- The device shown is "finished inside" but graphic are for you to finish. You will have to copy/paste the EG and LFO parameters (using the same process as shown in the video for the VCO and filter)

Please note that I wanted to go as fast as possible :-) I did not bother with making nice graphics. Also, more tricks below.

The video has no sound but music made with stuff from https://spacef-devices.com . You will hear BB3 oscillators and filters, KrOn and Eurorack, Aquarius, JunZ, etc as standalone or in various productions with vstis. You can of course disable the sound and listen to something else.

Adding parameters to a preset list
============================
It is in this video (quickly) , and is more detailled here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36390

Presets will work only when the device is reloaded in the project. You make the preset list, save tdevice, then delete it from project and load the latest version. Presets will work only after that.

PosX /Pos Y parameters
They are used to restore panel position. Here I restore it only in "Screensets" . In the video, The position will not be restored when loading a new preset, or when loading a project. You can check the boxes coresponding to Projects which is smarter thing to do in my opinion (because the device panels will be where you left them, which is generally the best position for this device).

Checkboxes in Module Parameters window
They are used to store/restore parameters in
- Presets,
- Projects
- Screensets

The "default" value is merely when you update a deviwith new parameters. It says "if this parameter is not found in the preset, then apply a value of...... It allows to apply a default value of X that would be similar to this parameter being "off" (ie older presets will be restored and new parameters will be "neutral" as if they did not exist. of course, it depends on device or parameter).
you set the default value of the pad by "long-clicking" on the space at the right of the "default" checkbox so a text display appears where you can enter the value that you want).

Tip: Select a pad in the parameter tree and the coresponding line in the Module Parameter will be automatically selected.

Shortcuts
===========
n = connect next pad
shift+n (does not work in sdk... or may be sdk 7 (to be verified)

Put a pad on a module side
- select a pad then strike
t = top
l = left
r = right
b= bottom

Move a pad to organize them better (avoid future confusion and connection errors)
==========
You move a pad up or down in the pad list and it will reflect on the module
u = up
b= bottom

---> You need to rename the module for the new order to show on the module (updated). Generally you rename the module with the same name, it is enough to refresh the module.

Export / Unexport a pad
============
select a pad then strike "e"
e = export or un-export the pad (depends on its current state)

Keys
=====
(I forgot, except Ctrl+G for grouping several modules together, but I prefer to group/ungroup fold/unfold buttons on the project windows, rather than keystrokes)
You cannot use the above function in the project explorer.
You can only use them in the project windows.

Control Pads
===========
Re-connecting every poti to new controlelr pads is not compulsory
It only allows to change modules while the pads and presets stay the same (ie, pads are still in the parameter list).
If the device is for your own use, you can put the modules pads or the graphics themselves (ie the pots and faders).

Renaming control pads is better for yourself and because you will not have tpo rename parameters after dragging them in the parameter tree.

Last advices:
==============
- Save often without overwriting the previous versions. example "my device-0001.dev , my device-0002.dev , my device-0003.dev" etc
and you can also add a name for what you just done (example mydevice-0021-filter-graphics.dev)
this gives unlimited undo capabilities if you want to go back to a version that was working fine before you messed something up :-)

ADDED FURTHER TO DISCUSSION BELOW
==========================================

Where is the 8 controller pads ?
I did it myself
- Load 8 "controller pads", Fold them together (''shift+select each one, then choose "fold")
- then go inside this new folded module, and export each D pads (select pad then press E key).
- They should now appear at the right of the folded module, so use B key to place them at the bottom of the new module (click on a pad in the Pad Listthen press B key).
- Save this new module in your library

Cut & Paste= keeps the connections (the selected graphics are moved but connections are kept)
Copy & Paste= creates a new copy of the module or group. ie connections are not kept and the copied groups or modules are new instance. In general you want to delete the source group or modules in order to avoid double connections that can cause crashes due to exceptions ---> always check that what you want to connect is not connected somewhere else ie it does not create a loop of some kind with contradictory values or infinite loops that end up in an infinite loop of exception (stack) that obliges to hard-reboot your Scope !!! (ctrl+alt+del or PC reset button

GOOD LUCK !!!!
Last edited by spacef on Thu May 06, 2021 3:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Re: TUTOR VIDEO - Make a synth in Scope SDK in less than an hour

Post by nebelfuerst »

As I'm often lost in SDK, I'll try to follow your Vid this evening.
The underlaying music is exactly the reason for me to go for scope.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
spacef

Post by spacef »

thanks !
if i do somehing on screen that is not understandable, let me know.
it is pretty basic though. the synth is made during the 1st half. the rest is adeing switches, graphic stuff etc.
for beginners there might be a lot of play/pause every 30 seconds or so , but well, that's how you learn.
I hope it helps!
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
valis

Post by valis »

stickied!
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I'm stuck at 7:25. ( I took me 45min to get there, as I had to learn a lot where to do the right clicks. :wink: )
At 7:25 you add an "8 pads" from folder basic.
My folder starts with "amplifier 12dB". I'm using SDK7.
Where does "8 pads" come from ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

I did it myself.
Load 8 "controller pads", Fold them together (''shift+select each one, then choose "fold")
, then go inside this new folded module, and export each D pads (select pad then press E key).
They should now appear at the right of the folded module, so use B key to place them at the bottom of the new module (click on a pad in the Pad Listthen press B key).
Save this new module in the library :-)

You now have the 8 pads that I use very often :-)

You could also place the pads left (L), right (R) or top (T). It is merely a visual thing (ie, to keep your project window clean).

I also did a "switch#2" which is very useful. It is just the switch#4 where in 3 and 4 are unexported (or simply hidden (select pad then "H" key).

Another trick - save very often.
I have a "mantra" in SDK which is "I never want to do this again": i save very often (each time I do something and say to myself "i don't want to do that again": this is because when my PC is left idle, it can crash on simple manipulations). , for example if I switched scope in the morning, did not work on the computer all day, then come back in the evening to work on devices.... my system will give me craches in such conditions if I fold/unfold too much stuff. It probably doesn't happen to many poeple, but I had to redo stuff too often to my taste, so each time i do something borting, difficult, or that takes a bit of time, I save the device.
folding/unfolding can give you such crashes . I Guess that the PC stayed idle and some ram or else goes in sleep mode, and operations in sdk don't wake it up.
Last edited by spacef on Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

PS: bravo to you to follow the tutorial. I imagine it is not easy and requires lots of motivation. Keep it up :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Worked. So I made a stop for the night at 8:00. :)
valis

Post by valis »

In the 90's using my 3D software (and Photoshop on 16bit versions of Windows) was just as bad. The littlest unrepeatable issue would be a catastrophic crash, and sometimes a simple crash would corrupt large month-long projects. So good habits were a must when billing for high end 3d stuff.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Thank you! With all of the various attempts at documentation gathering related to the SDK, and support, this first example is extremely helpful!
spacef

Post by spacef »

you are welcome. I've updated the 1st post with info in "light blue" color.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I'm stuck again at 14:45.
Pressing the freq-knob of LP24 doesn't show Rangetext val at connections, as on your video.
Pressing store and connect doesn't add Pot Val to the connections.
Are this differences, I should care about ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

Here is some help (2 posts)

You can download all images to see them better from your pc
or right click and "open image in new tab"
I also added more text/info at the end of the next message (under the images)

TUTORIAL-FOCUS-01.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-01.jpg (98.32 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
NB: to delete the connection, select it in the connection list and hit "Del" key

TUTORIAL-FOCUS-02.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-02.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-03.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-03.jpg (109.39 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-04.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-04.jpg (113.15 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
Last edited by spacef on Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

TUTORIAL-FOCUS-05.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-05.jpg (112.97 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-06.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-06.jpg (105.88 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-07.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-07.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 15700 times
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-08.jpg
TUTORIAL-FOCUS-08.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 15700 times

After all that, you can Cut & paste the pot and display group to the main surface.

Another way (more "pro") would be to delete all panels first, so pads are not connected to anything. Then import as many potis as you need on the surface panel, then make the connections that you need. BUT this method requires that you check the Min/Max values and curves of all these new potis. That's because you just copied the same poti many times, and it is unlikely that the setting of that pot conform the requirement all types of pads of all modules.
To do this, you can load a module a check what are the default values of various stuff (eg, you load a filter and check what are the min/max of the filter cutoff).

Cut & Paste= keeps the connections (the selected graphics are moved but connections are kept)
Copy & Paste= creates a new copy of the module or group. ie connections are not kept and the copied groups or modules are new instance. In general you want to delete the source group or modules in order to avoid double connections that can cause crashes due to exceptions ---> always check that what you want to connect is not connected somewhere else ie it does not create a loop of some kind with contradictory values or infinite loops that end up in an infinite loop of exception (stack) that obliges to hard-reboot your Scope !!! (ctrl+alt+del or PC reset button :-) )
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Wow!
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I managed to get the connection correct now.
Tomorrow I'll continue to watch your video at 25% speed :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

so how is it going?
I just wanted to point that you should be almost finished around minute 25. The rest is choices (like adding switches, replacing stuff) that may interesting to watch but not necessarily to reproduce because ymight want to another way. I used the switches ony to show how you set the min max value of a poti so it goes from 0 to 3 to conform the number of inputs of the switch. Also the finalization of the connections to pads and presets, or removal of module panels. At some point I copy 1 pot many times on the panel, but I think it is easier with and paste.
Let me know how far you are.
No rush though :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I have to do some "debugging".
The VU2 doesn't show a signal like it should do. So I check my wiring.

On the highest level of editing, I tried to add a Midi-monitor, but the SDK asks for keys, although my registry is full of my keys.
( Midi-monitor works flawless in normal scope)
Is this "normal" ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

I don't think there is a Midi Monitor in the sdk as I needed one recently. i can't check right now but will check that tomorrow.
The one i have in the project is from a very old version of the sdk (dp) but i am not sure it works. I will chek that too.
I am not sure I can send it though, in case it works (I should check with SC or Gary first).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
valis

Post by valis »

nebelfuerst, Your SDK keyfile doesn't get 'seen' by SDK from normal Scope install, they're separate directory structures.

Tbh, I have no idea what happens with devices you don't have discrete keys for in SDK, so trying to add that device might have failed because it's covered by the basic Scope 5.x/7.x key which is replaced by the SDK key when running the SDK. At least this seems to make sense....
Berny Shoes

Post by Berny Shoes »

Would it work to merge Scope 5.x/7.x keys with the SDK keys file?