The big question, SDK 6 and PCI

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

The big question, SDK 6 and PCI

Post by tlaskows »

Does it run on PCI cards. I am interested in playing around with it, but no Xite here...

Thanks,

-Tom
petal

Re: The big question, SDK 6 and PCI

Post by petal »

If I'm informed correctly the SDK 6 isn't finished yet. All developers use version 5 or even version 4 which is supposed to be more stable. I believe both version 4 and 5 works on PCI.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

sdk6 does work on the pci cards

i have it installed but we use sdk5.1 beta as its more stable all the new stuff in bc modular is done on 5.1

sdk is so that because it uses the juce framework make it crossplatform and why a lot of developers are using it

wusik has been porting there stuff so that it made there synths mac compatible

there is a hell of a lot of developement using the sdk and creating .dll files scope sync being the most advanced
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

you need a 15/14 dsp card to use it wont work on any other type card even if you have 3 6dsp cards it wont work
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I have 45 DSPs...

What are the main improvements in v6?

Thanks,

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I read on Sonic Core's site that you cannot develop your own modules with 6, can you with 5.1?

Thanks,

-Tom
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

jhulk wrote:you need a 15/14 dsp card to use it wont work on any other type card even if you have 3 6dsp cards it wont work
I hope that's only for the SDK and not SCOPE 6!
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

you can develope your own modules in sdk6 as the guisdk is for sdk6 but once you have created the dspatom as a .dll file you can compile it and save to 5.1 module where you can add it in sdk5.1 and use it

scope6 will be for any card its the making of custom atoms as .dll files and the sdk you need a 14/15 card for

there is a wiki for sdk users once you get it ask wills to join it it has a lot of information and what dspatoms do and there functions have been written into the wiki
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Awesome! I'm happy that it works with the good ol' PCI cards. Most companies drop old hardware like it's hot. lol.

If I get an SDK 6 license, do I need to buy a separate 5.1 license as well?

Thanks,

-Tom
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I wouldn't recommend using the SDK6 except for academic interest. There's some showstopping bugs and very limited functionality. There's not really much you can't do with SDK5.1, although if you have PCI cards, you might want to start with SDK4, as it's more stable and the only limitations are that it won't run on 64bit or with Xite-1.

The GUI SDK is effectively just an update to the older ScopeFX library, which allows you to build PC-based functionality that can communicate with the Scope system, including GUIs. However, there are also some showstopping bugs with that too, hence us using the older version for ScopeSync. The ScopeFX library also has some bugs, but they're minor in comparison.

We've documented quite a few of these things on the SDK Wiki that jhulk mentioned above. Just give me a shout once you have a licence and I can set you up with a login.

P.S. ScopeSync is open source, so you can check out our use of the ScopeFX library here: https://github.com/bcmodular/scopesync . Progress has slowed a little recently, as I just became a father this week! Very close to getting the OSC-based version finished though...
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Congrats on becoming a father!

I guess I'll go with your recommendations and stick with SDK 5.1. I know some (not much) DSP stuff. I have a book on it and all, but I don't remember finishing reading it as it was getting pretty deep. I'm currently only working only a few hours a week so I have a lot of free time to read/learn/experiment.

Thanks!

-Tom
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Without wishing to be accused of heresy, if you just want to learn about audio development, you might find Max/MSP more fun :)

The Scope SDK is an amazing achievement and you can do some great things with it, but it's not the easiest to work with. You can give yourself a head start by getting a better understanding of the core concepts, which something like Max/MSP helps a lot with.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

But I want to improve my programming skills :)

I cannot justify the price of MAX which is like $400 which is probably around $550 CAD...

-Tom
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Scope SDK is not programming in the traditional sense, i.e. you drag and drop modules and create interfaces within the program. Writing ScopeFX modules that can then be used in the Scope SDK, like the ScopeSync DLL does involve coding in C++ and we're using the Juce framework to help with that.

I'd recommend having a play with the SDK and see how you get on. If you have a hankering to do some more "traditional" programming, there's always room to help contribute enhancements to ScopeSync :)
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I need to brush up on my C++ skills. Seems every job out there now is looking for a Rails programmer, but I have no web development experience at all. I'm waiting for Sonic Core to send me an invoice for the SDK. Never used JUCE before, could be good to have on my resume.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Got the SDK. Looks cool, but I think I will need to glance through the manual.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

So, now I have a bit of an issue. I have the SDK 5.1, but I cannot write atoms! I need custom phase modulation oscillators as in the DX7. I'm sure I can find the patents with all the lookup tables, etc. I would like to implement a proper FM synth that uses next to no DSP. Wouldn't that be nice?

Which version of the SDK do I need?

Danke schön,

-Tom
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

you need a dongle from sc to write dsp atoms;
they are in asm so you need to have knowledge in the sharc architecture as well as xite and/or pci boards;

good vibes from vienna
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Assembly? Shouldn't be a problem. I know some x86 and PIC (yeah, I know it's a joke). I can learn the Shark architecture. I used to read datasheets all day long just for fun :D

How much is the dongle? I really want to write some custom code to learn and hopefully make some useful devices. I have too many spare time, that is a problem. :lol:

-Tom
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

It's worth getting to know the available atoms, as they are very efficient, and they...work. There is a large number of both higher level modules and low level atoms readily available, and you very well could make a PM oscillator (like the casio-like ones in Modular IV) with them.

My understanding is the dongle is required since the atoms are encrypted for use on sonic|core boards.