XITE Real World numbers and Usage vs PCI

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

YISH313z

XITE Real World numbers and Usage vs PCI

Post by YISH313z »

Man!! The quality is a bit overwhelming...

Okay, so Ive got my little scrawny Home Card(3DSP),lets call it an evaluation board, I went through the gambit of synths and mixers and the sort, the minimax alone with 1 voice ate 50% of the 3 Dsp power, So here's a scenario I am looking at. I want no holds barred. What I throw at XITE I want it to laugh at.

What are some real world expectations?

If there were a 3dsp card using the latest chips this would roughly equal 30 of these chips, or two Scope Pro Boards, give or take, correct?

Scenario:
I'm thinking on Xite-1: 2 STS-5000 samplers 1 minimax at 4 voices, 1 minimax at 1 voice, lightwave at 4 voices, a couple of Modular patches, STM 32 mixer, compression where needed, eq for every instrument, a masterverb aux send, some boutique effects ala tube, tape color, some standards: flange, chorus, delay, etc, and 32 channels of Vdat...as you can see Im talking the full gambit. possible?
garyb

Re: XITE Real World numbers and Usage vs PCI

Post by garyb »

sure it should do that, but only if you're using 32bit windows. the sts don't work in 64bit.
astroman

Post by astroman »

in theory it might do that under very special conditions, but in real world you'd be more in the 20 chips range.
that's how the calculation goes:
new Sharcs have 5x the clockrate and may do 2 calculations in one cycle
but the latter only applies to certain calculations, not to every operation
(the method is called SIMD aka 'single instruction multiple data')

cheers, Tom
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

garyb wrote:sure it should do that, but only if you're using 32bit windows. the sts don't work in 64bit.
Well until Xp 32bit is no longer supported, I make no plans to to upgrade the OS. I never liked Vista, and all the flashyness of Windows 7 does not appeal to my music or myself. Even in XP I have all the bells and whitsles off.

So my scenario isnt too far fetched?! :o
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not too far fetched. win7 32bit is pretty nice if you shut all the eye candy down....but xp is fine too.
dante

Post by dante »

If you check out the 'Scope Setup and Synths' section of this article :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/syn_mast.htm

I loaded the XITE-1D with 9 synths with total 35 voice polyphony (average 4 voices per synth).

And thats just the XITE-1D version. On a full XITE-1 you should be able to run same but in addition all your mixer, EQ, FX and routing as well.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

dante wrote:If you check out the 'Scope Setup and Synths' section of this article :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/syn_mast.htm

I loaded the XITE-1D with 9 synths with total 35 voice polyphony (average 4 voices per synth).

And thats just the XITE-1D version. On a full XITE-1 you should be able to run same but in addition all your mixer, EQ, FX and routing as well.

I'm checking it out now.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Geeez Luueez!! and only half the DSP on Xite-D!!! This will be an investment well worth the time in savings and patience.
dante

Post by dante »

Less than half. If I rate the new DSP as 6 times the power of the old, the XITE-1D has 30, whereas the full XITE-1 has 78.

But take into account that you will likely max out on other resources before maxing out DSP. One limitation of the XITE design is the clocking between the old DSP and the new ones.

Even so, its a lot. You WILL love it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

YISH313z wrote:Geeez Luueez!! and only half the DSP on Xite-D!!! This will be an investment well worth the time in savings and patience.

dear lord, someone get's it!