Installing SDK alongside with SFP ?

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

MD69

Installing SDK alongside with SFP ?

Post by MD69 »

Hi all,

I am on the verge to make a second attempt at installing the SDK
The first installation messed up my default SFP install and I gived up.
The question is: How to install the SDK alongside the standard SFP environment ?
I am still running SPF4.5.

cheers
astroman

Re: Installing SDK alongside with SFP ?

Post by astroman »

it's pretty much like having 2 installations of SFP on one disk - I don't remember (any) problems when I had a version 3 along with version 4 some years ago. Just keep the folder names and hierarchy properly separated and only run one of them at a time. Probably best to disable auto-start and activate the respective system manually.
Did you rename the Scope folder during install ? btw it's not a shame to run 4.5... same here :D

cheers, Tom
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Astro,

I do recall installing SDK alonside SFP (2 directories, ...) messed up SFP as some keys in the registry was redirected to the SDK. SFP then became ... clunky :-?
I don't feel ashamed being on v4.5 .. its just to say that I run the SFP version compatible with SDK :)

I strickly follow the advice: If all goes well don't fix it! :)

cheers
astroman

Post by astroman »

that's a good point :D
if I think about it... my comment (and experience) referred to 2 different versions of Scope (3.x - 4.x)
in your case (with identical versions) there might indeed be a problem regarding the registry.
SDK is somewhat overkill if you use it live or in a studio with client visitors, but aside from that I wouldn't expect it to be 'disturbing' at all in regular use.
Afterall Scope was sold that way in early versions of the studio software.
With SDK installed there would only be a need to have the 'regular' software available if 'unused' developer features drive system load up (or clutter the screen... or XTC ?...).
I don't have it myself, but nothing like that was mentioned in earlier reviews of the DP system.

cheers, Tom
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Astro,

Thanks for your reply

mhhhh... Alongside might be confusing, sorry.

I don't want to launch the SDK while I am in an SFP session, just be able to launch SDK or SFP, each one having its environnement(project, directory maybe,..), ...
Prevously, once I installed the SDK in a separate directory, SFP where messed up. I had to change several keys in the registry,... and even so, it was not as stable as it was before.
So the question is : is there a way to install the SDK on the same PC as SFP, having each one a separate directory, ... without perturbating the default SFP environment?

Maybe I don't have to make a full install but rather copy stuff from theSDK in the SFP environment (DSP files, projects, ....) or maybe merge both (but I don't know exactly what must be copied, if I have to add settings in configuration files, ...).

cheers
bosone

Post by bosone »

i just remember i had 2 different folders for SKD and SFP.
if you want to run SDK you have to exit SFP and viceversa...

maybe you will need to copy some DSP between SDK and SFP but i did it only if i got a "missing DSP" message...

i never got problems.

the only problems is that SDK do not work with 5.1 drivers! :(
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Same kind of problem here: Scope 4.x installed & works flawless (in a spare PC) and after followed by SDK in a different folder (everything as instructions).
But then the XTC has become instable... shure for the registry mess after SDK installer.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i don't think that both will run at the same time....
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

obviously I run Scope OR SDK, it's impossible to run both same time.
but SDK installation seems to compromise the stability of Scope 4.x
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi

Thanks for your replies,
For sure you cannot run both at the same time ... each being an application.
It seems SFP users don't suffer the problem, so I guess there have not been investigations and the standard install have been used.
I am an XTC user too and XTC stability is mandatory for me, so I guess I'll give up.

Too bad ... I'll continue to do my devices on the VST side then :cry:

cheers
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

I've installed first SDK and then Scope 4.x and the problems seems to be gone.
Truly indeed, I've installed first Scope, then SDK, and then Scope over Scope again...
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi Erminardi,

Thanks, I'll try that!

That will be a good point to other XTC users with SDK! :)

Cheers
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

cool let me know if works also for U :)