midi switching

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

winger

midi switching

Post by winger »

I wish to do some midi switching. For example I may have 2 devices but I want the midi data to only go to one of them at a time. So I want to create a divce that via some midi command turns off one switch and turns another on.

All the switches I have tried in the sdk say that the midi signal is incompatible when I try to connect them. Is there a way to convert the midi signals so they can be switched, or are the special switches available to to this?
mark winger
tgstgs

Re: midi switching

Post by tgstgs »

why dont you select different midichannel on the devices?
thats what they are for _?
good vibes
borg

Post by borg »

I have no idea how to make such a device,
but have a look here
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
winger

Post by winger »

The reason I want to do this and not use midi channels is because I too many things to control. I am working on a mixer that can be fully midi controlled from a surface. Each channel has many controls. What I want to do is have all of the device controls set to the same channel and controller numbers. Then use a command to select which to display and control. Press the select button on the surface, and the device is displayed and now all the controls respond to the surface the same way.

This allows to control more things that a 1-1 mapping would and allows for an open end number of controls. It also means that a device could have all the controls preset to midi controllers and you only have to set the controller/bank or what ever the device switches. You won't have to program the controllers separately for every control.

The simple midi switches may work. I would like to see how these switches were created.
mark winger
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

when do we see a creation from you?

routing recorder vibes from vienna
winger

Post by winger »

Right now I just have a big project that no one would want to try an use. But with what I learned about midi switching from soniccore and the routing recorder and info got from Shayne White on his midi switching, I may be able to make a mixer like the 4896 that is fully midi controllable. That is what I would like. It will take a while though.
mark winger
winger

Post by winger »

I now have 2 solutions. The first can from Sonic Core. Ralf said the only way he knew of was to use the routing recorder. This is a weird device. You add the device to your project and set the number of diffenent stats you want (max is 16). Then you set state 0 and press record. Now you add all the connections you need the stop recording. You can the delete all those routes, set stated 2, record and round again. Now by changing between 2 states, you change the the routes. Now I did not try to change this via mida but ralf said I need to setup presets of the routings and then can be recalled by bank select.

Though powerful, the is way more complex than I was hoping for. Borg pointed me to a device from 2004 that switched midi. There was no explaination of how it was done so I PM'ed the author and her responded with the answer. From the DSP monule meny there are 2 devices midi2sync and sync2midi. This allows a midi signal to be converted to a synchronous signal so it can be switched with a standard on/off switch and then converted back to midi. This made the task easy. I created a midi switcher that can route 1 midi to 48 destination using note on/of commands. So far it working out well.
mark winger