Scope/DP programming language...

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ellipsis

Post by ellipsis »

hey peeps!

I'm very excited to get SCOPE/DP and start developing for pulsar right away, but before i'm gonna fork over the $8k for the hardware i wanna learn the lang first... so maybe some of you can help...

is the scope language just like C++? or will i have to learn a new language?

if I do, can someone point me to a site or a file that has a tutorial or something about scope language...

THANKS!
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

looks like you need to get a LOT more information before considering a purchase!! :smile:

the Scope/DP environment provides a graphical circuit creation environment, not a high-level language like C++. you connect the provided atomic elements together using wires, much like in the modular synth - just with many many more atoms to choose from. there are also complex surface (GUI) creation tools, and the ability to connect surface controls to circuit elements.

while there *is* a high-level (Java-like) language available from Creamware for further extending the environment, its absurdly high cost puts out of reach of anyone but industrial firms with major cash to burn. none of 3rd party scope developers have access to it, afaik.

by becoming an official CW 3rd party developer, you can obtain the DSP development kit from CW, which allows you to take SHARC machine code, and turn it into new scope atoms. To create the SHARC machine code, you need to buy the SHARC-Kit Lite from Analog Devices (they make the SHARC chips and tools), and then you'll need to learn the SHARC assembly instruction set. most of the 3rd party developers (with several exceptions) are using the stock scope atoms, rather than writing their own SHARC assembly.

hope this clarifies.
-john
ellipsis

Post by ellipsis »

Thanks for the clarification John.

A few more questions may just quench my thirst for knowledge about scope..

How do I become a third party developer...

If I become a third party developer would they give me a scope system free? (doubtfully)

Do you have access to the language materials anyway? I still wanna learn it.

Thanks,

ellipsis
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2001-08-26 10:34, ellipsis wrote:

How do I become a third party developer...

If I become a third party developer would they give me a scope system free?
contact nikolai brengelmann at nb@creamware.de. no, i don't think you'll get a free scope :smile: not sure how it works anymore (i got involved way back before scope was even released, and i'm sure things have changed since then!)
Do you have access to the language materials anyway? I still wanna learn it.
not sure which materials you're referring to. if you mean the scope scripting language - then no, i don't think any of us has access to it. if you mean the SHARC dsp stuff, then visit analog devices. here's some links:

here's the <a href="http://products.analog.com/products/inf ... 065L">chip info</a>.
here's the <a href="http://products.analog.com/products/inf ... RDWARE">ez kit lite info</a>.
and here's <a href="http://www.analog.com/dsp/tools/fixes_e ... html">some downloads (maybe some docs)</a>.

-john
U4U

Post by U4U »

I think there will be a Pulsar version of the DP package later this year. It should be enough for the most of us. I cannot see the benefit to spend a lot of money for tools that are limited in what they are good for.

My personal opinion is that it costs much too much. If you like to spread a platform why making it so expensive? No idea...

When MS starts the VB thing it costs only a few bucks, now, after changing it into a big dev tool (OK, I like C++ more) the price is much higher and VB is one of the most used dev tools for WINDOZE. Got the idea?

U
Nikko

Post by Nikko »

I TOTALLY AGREE?

I'm quite sure that when Creamware will realize this simple business rule, it will be too late.

There are numerous projects in development based on VST/DirectX compatibilities with almost the same interface as the Creamware DP but without any boudaries (only your processor speed)