Control Raanger - help

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

winger

Control Raanger - help

Post by winger »

I am new to the sdk and having trouble. For a test I created a trivial device. In an empty effect insert I put a mastergain circuit and controlled its level in the circuit with a fader. Then connected a 'potentiometer metal' to control it. Worked fine. Then I want to use the control ranger to set an audio taper for the control. I get and exception "PepNGo:GetViewItemOfGo: invalid value for the 1. arguement ParentViewItem and the control ranger is a blank box. I tried to open in circuit and surface and at different levels both on the circuit fader and in the surface knob and tried in use, move and edit modes. When I do it on the surface know it messes up the knob positions separating some of the graphical components. I have no idea what is it doing.

What am I doing wrong?
mark winger
winger

Re: Control Raanger - help

Post by winger »

I tried and tried but could not get it to work. I uninstalled the sdk then re-installed. It worked once then failed again. Then it worked.

The problem was where I was when I tried to do this. You need to be in surface view and you need to be down inside the device (from circuit view) and you need to be in move mode(I think). Not obvious from the error I got. Anyone else have an more info on this?

I was simply trying to change the fader to a log taper, easy to do if you are in the right view.

Mark.
mark winger
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I have not noticed it matters what mode you are in. just make sure you dont use a "protected" pot from the default panels (well you can use them but you cant see the control ranger values)

I just click on a control and change it.
I haven't ever seen an error like that.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

The Control Ranger can be buggy. I never use it. It's much better to delete the Panel & SurfaceInterface modules from inside the Mastergain module you're using (or any other module with it's own surface panel), then load a separate Mastergain module & copy/paste it's PadList control & range text values accross to the PadList control vals for the new controls on your own panel (in this case the panel of your empty insert effect). Then just delete the extra mastergain module (or whatever) that you loaded for extracting the values.

The PadList val for a log 'curve' is 1 (the default val is 0 which is linear)
The PadList val for an exp 'curve' is 2 ... and so on.

Mark