Pot's movements and range

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Warp69

Pot's movements and range

Post by Warp69 »

Hi,

Im playing with the graphic system in SDK right now and it has been years since last time I was playing around - but I seem to have some problems with the movement and parameter range of the pots.

The only range I can get is the standard one :

Range : [ 7 -> 8 -> 9 -> ........... 4 -> 5 ]

But I would appreciate if someone could help me out with the following ranges :

Range : [ 12 -> 1 -> 2 -> ........... 8 -> 9 ]

Range : [ 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> ........... 9 -> 10 ]

Thank you.

Cheers
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Are you talking about values or graphics?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Movement infact.

I have looked at almost every device for the Scope platform and every single one use the standard movement/range for pots.

I will ofcourse use the standard movement/range for the width pot, but what about the in/out pots?

Cheers
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

You need other graphics... IMHO
Shroomz should be expert on that.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Eh?

Why?
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Because the animation for the knobs is never 360 degrees as far as I know & has a certain start & end point.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Not an expert, but watching at bmp knob stripes they are always a row of all the positions from the first to the last. Changing this range should provide what you need. I'm just guessing.... :)
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Ehm - I have no idea what you're talking about?!?!?!?

The clocks images at the top of this topic are only for demonstration purpose - the graphics for the device is shown just above and doesn't contains any 360 degrees pots.

Am I missing something here?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

alfonso wrote:Not an expert, but watching at bmp knob stripes they are always a row of all the positions from the first to the last. Changing this range should provide what you need. I'm just guessing.... :)
Nope - The standard moverment will always start at 7 o'clock and end at 5 o'clock - no matter what graphics (or value range). And will jump from max to min/min to max through 6 o'clock. Atleast on my system.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Not an expert, but watching at bmp knob stripes they are always a row of all the positions from the first to the last. Changing this range should provide what you need. I'm just guessing....
Yes, but how do you get exact 6 o'clock if there is no image for that. As far as I remember the standard animations don't have 6 o'clock.

If you make new graphics & have lets say all positions of 360 degrees (What I meant was 12 hours ;) ) as an extra frame, the animation simply may start with the frame of your choice and end with the frame of your choice.

I'm quite sure that it's a graphical = pot-animation problem, not anything to adjust in sdk. Sorry for being cryptic before-I had a phonecall in parallell ;)

Martin
Last edited by MCCY on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

All you have to do is put the frames (if you have the right frames) in the right order (give them a number)...
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Nope - that's not the solution - my problem is not the frames.

My problem is the circular movement that starts at 7 o'clock and ends at 5 o'clock. I want the circular movement to start at 12 o'clock and end at 9 o'clock for my in/out pots.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

But where do you get the missing 6 o'clock frame? It's simply not there, so you need one.

As soon as you have a 6 o'clock frame (let's say the frames arround 6 o'clock) you can arrange your frames in the order you need the animation to be played.

http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ight=julia

This one is movin in another way...
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

ok im just guessing here.

you would need to render a knob whith as many steps you want, starting with a keyframe of start position and end position. number of pictures should correspond to the control steps you intend to use, i.e. a standard knob would be 128 images with a knob rotation from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock. thats the only way your graphics will interact precicely.

For your 12 to 9 animation you would need a keyframe at 12 and one at 9, which represents 270 degrees. frames you render in between is dependant on how many controlsteps you are going to use. stupid example; if tha AMS lfo dial was stepped, you woud render 10 images. if you were to use the full CC range, 128 images should be rendered.

as for interaction with code i dont know if you are going to filter CC values or use the full range, so if you were to filter out 1/3 of the steps, you would need to filter out 1/3 og the frames in the knob animation as well (i mean render just 96 steps).

This probably doesnt help but i was just thinking out loud.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

You're 100% right piddi & you are better in explaining than me ;)
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Well - I have no idea how I should explain my problem.

You can download the pots right here:

www.relab.dk/Width%20Pot.mdl
www.relab.dk/Input%20Pot.mdl

As you can see - the width pot does not have any problem because it already use the same movement as the standard one.

Where the input pot has problem because it should use another movement range - 12 -> 9.

How do you fix that?

Cheers
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Hm. After inverting the range (control ranger) it was fine too. Working beutifully as (I guessed) they should. I seem to have understood nothing :-?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Yes - they both work - but the input pot behaves strangely since it should have used another movement range - ie not the "7 o'clock to 5 o'clock" movement as it do now.

Im not talking about value ranges but about the circular movement behavior - the black marker on the input pot should follow the mouse pointer just like the width pot do.
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Warp, this works perfectly here. Really the movement is exactly from 12-9. I just had to invert it, because it was from 9-12 before. There must be some stupid error, something overseen. Exchange the project & I bet it'll work. Or I am totally stupid. It works exactly after your clock-demonstration 12-9 - wonderful. Nice knobs b.t.w.

To make it clear: The node (black marker) starts at 12 (on top of the pot) and moves around till it comes to 9 at the left side...
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

MCCY wrote:To make it clear: The node (black marker) starts at 12 (on top of the pot) and moves around till it comes to 9 at the left side...
Yes - but where do you place your mouse pointer to get the black marker at 3 o'clock? On my system its around 11 o'clock to get the marker at 3 o'clock. I would have appreciated that the marker followed the mouse pointer, so if I wanted the marker at 3 o'clock, I had to move the mouse pointer to 3 o'clock. Just like the width pot.