8 BUSS DSP Hardware Effects Unit

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Oh and I cant remember the settings, but I would guess: Maximum value for size, diffusion, density and rt60 - the rest of the parameters are unknown, but was not important regarding my demonstration.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Which dry sample was it?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

<~Shroomz~> wrote:Which dry sample was it?
Just a test sample (which btw I cant find right now) I got from http://www.effectprocessor.com
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Warp69 wrote:3 allpass filters (in serie) in front of the algorithm and BAM......
Boy oh boy, does that sound good. :eek:

I made a mistake the first time I built an allpass filter & wasn't so sure, but when I got the allpass working right... WOW!! :cool:
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

OK I'm coming into this thread rather late, and I know it's obviously developed quite far from what the original post was about.

But in reference to the original post - Jimmy, surely an Eventide H8000 is exactly what you describe. If anyone has a KSP-8, they probably settled for it because they couldn't afford the H8000. The Eventide verbs are pretty damn good but tend to get overlooked because it does so many other things really well, especially pitchshifting/harmonizing. As far as I know the H8000 has enough DSP power to actually use all 8 ins and outs fully. I don't have one myself but I will some day :D

Obviously the XITE-1 would be great for this sort of thing too, especially if SC sort out the DSP memory situation.

8 Bricastis wouldn't be bad either :D
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

<~Shroomz~> wrote: Boy oh boy, does that sound good. :eek:

I made a mistake the first time I built an allpass filter & wasn't so sure, but when I got the allpass working right... WOW!! :cool:
In front of your own reverb?

As you can imagine - its quite easy to get density (more delay lines), but the problem is - it should still sound awesome :)
drakrezin wrote: 8 Bricastis wouldn't be bad either :D
It would - but XITE would not be able to emulate 8 Bricasti's - maybe one if we're lucky.

The H8000FW doesn't have alot of DSP power - far from it infact. Lets wait for the H12000.

Cheers
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Warp69 wrote:In front of your own reverb?

As you can imagine - its quite easy to get density (more delay lines), but the problem is - it should still sound awesome :)
Yes, it's ok though... only 35 people could have suffered any pain. :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

The XITE-1 news came out after I wrote this thread.

I have changed my whole idea about hardware since then.

I remember the whole dual CPU, and multi-core hype from way back when AMD's and the Tyan Tiger were the talk of the town. The idea that apps would have twice the power was inaccurate, but the hype continued.

Scope having 14 times the power of a 15 DSP Pro card just seems like the same old hype to me, but if it is actually just 3 times the power in the real world results, that is worth it IMO.

Once I judge the investment myself, I will decide if hardware effects are even worth buying in the future. I still have my doubts until I actually have an XITE-1 installed and see it running in XP64 alongside of Gigastudio 4.

I have learned to become cynical in regards to marketing hype.

My bassist up in Tahoe has an Eventide H7600 for his live rig and it does have some incredible PS algo's. The reverbs are quite good also. He is sicker than I when gear is involved. His hand built 5 string Tobias w/ the Crest amp H7600, and cabinets is the sickest rig I have encountered for a bassist in a while.

The best effect other than the ET though is his Mutron pedal. That box is decades old and sounds so good.

How powerful is the M7 and the H12000 in terms of raw DSP's compared to XITE-1?
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

when it comes to reverbs, i think the number of chips or power of the dsp used is by far not the most important thing...

You can built great stuff with small ressources also...

and you can also build bad sounding stuff using many dsps... :D

so the briscanti may be a top notch unit built around a cluster of high end chips and with its own top notch sound.

but I think its not a replacement of all other higer end reverb units, but just another great high end flavour, that makes a good living aside the other great high-class units.

its like with good friends: they are all different characters and you don`t like one more than the other.
:P
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

I don't know what kind of power the H12000 will have, but the H8000 is not that powerful - it doesn't have the power of 14 DSPs (Scope board).

I agree - the algorithms from Eventide sound very nice.

The M7 is a beast, but I think XITE is more powerful - like around 1.5 times more powerful, but Im far from sure.

But no matter how powerful the XITE system is - you dont have the quality of the reverb from M7 or the pitchshifting (and delays) from the H8000.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

SC must be making new higher quality atoms for using in XITE, but I guess we might only get those if we buy XITE.
garyb

Post by garyb »

afaik, XCITE runs on the scope platform like any other scope card...
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi Gary,

there isn't any clear info on this subject yet. At least, I haven't heard any either on or off list.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, if XCITE runs on v5, and scope cards run on v5, then.......
you're right though, there are no guarantees until we see v5.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am curious why Eventide is such a more efficient modeller.

One would think that XITE-1 could do high quality PS'ing with all of that horsewpower.

I assume Brotha' Man Warp69 still frequents the shows and the forums because he might still have some tricks up his sleeve for us. :wink:

I cannot wait to see what we get this summer.

JV
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Eventide is not more efficient at DSP coding than SC (Klaus) - far from it infact. H8000 doesn't support Synths, high quality EQ's (V5) and compressors. They do have EQ's and compressors, but nothing special.

They do however have awesome pitchshifters (the best) and some nice reverbs, which easily could be emulated.

Cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Brotha' Man Warp69.

There Ya' Go.

The M7 seems to be the last piece of hardware to purchase.

It's so pricey I am taking a partner in it's purchasing

Casey must be proud, anyone who has ever heard it goes into elation.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: The M7 seems to be the last piece of hardware to purchase.

It's so pricey I am taking a partner in it's purchasing

Casey must be proud, anyone who has ever heard it goes into elation.
He should be. He knows what he's doing - as mentioned before - he's a former Lexicon developer and worked on 480L etc.

The M7 is awesome - and he's working on an update for it - really looking forward to it.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Small update.

I used the Random Hall Algorithm from the Lexicons :

rt60 = 3.2 sec, Size = Medium to large, Rolloff = 3.5KHz.

Short noise burst :

www.relab.dk/reverb/1%20-%20short.wav (M7)
www.relab.dk/reverb/6%20-%20short.wav (480L)
www.relab.dk/reverb/7%20-%20short.wav (PCM91)

Long noise burst:

www.relab.dk/reverb/1%20-%20long.wav (M7)
www.relab.dk/reverb/6%20-%20long.wav (480L)
www.relab.dk/reverb/7%20-%20long.wav (PCM91)

Cheers
Last edited by Warp69 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

So what's the random element/s in those Warp? Is it randomization of the decay slopes or filters?