Forget V-Stack MidioverLAN. Teleport is here!!!!!!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

http://www.fxteleport.com/

This is the coolest thing for VST ever.

You can connect several computers over LAN.
You run 1 host on the main computer and the others are slaves that only run plug ins.
Everything (audio, midi) runs over LAN!!!!

You don't have to struggle with multiple hosts and stuff.
You don't even need a soundcard on the slave computers!!!Or a midi interface for that matter. Hell you din't even need a monitor for 'em.

Imagine running 4 cheap AMD slave computers connected to a main computer. That some serious computing power!!!
otter

Post by otter »

gee,looks cool! low latency,too.
how´bout z-linking pulsars from pc to pc?
mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

Wow! Does this work with ReWire?

-mythalethe
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

My wrong. It seems like you need a monitor on the slave computers.
But still...

Rewire???
I don't quite understand the question.
But this is a system for distrobuting the CPU load for VST plug ins on several computers.
There is nothing that stops you from using rewire on the main computer though but it does'nt help the CPU load on the rewire programs.

Z-linking of several CW cards???
I did'nt quite get this one either.
This is for VST only.

Regarding the latency there is no jitter. IE it is absolutley stable so you can compensate for it and have sample accurate timing. Got to love that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jupiter8 on 2003-05-17 04:02 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

If I'm right Teleport is just for Windows machines.

Steinberg System Link is platform independent.
I don't no mutch about the details or pro's and contra's, but I thought this quote is a usefull contribution to the discussion:

quote:

Steinberg VST System Link - networking power for music production
---------------------------------------------------------

Steinberg's Virtual Studio Technology (VST), first showing at the 1996 Frankfurt Musikmesse, has become a widespread standard. With VST all it takes to make a full-blown professional audio studio is a standard Windows or Apple Macintosh PC.
The performance of this type of system was to date determined by the limited capabilities of a single computer. Musicians and producers who sought to work with numerous audio tracks, EQs, compressors, reverb effects, and virtual instruments in large-scale projects often reached performance limits of their computer systems.
Now Steinberg presents VST System Link connecting computers. The link is established using a simple digital audio cable. A single bit of just one audio channel serves to connect an almost unlimited amount of systems and sync them up with sample accurate precision.
Any desired number of audio tracks with EQs, effects, compressors, and plug-ins run on computer 1, while VST instruments like HALion, The Grand, LM4 Mk II, TC Native Reverb - just to mention a few - run on computer 2. The user may opt to run MIDI tracks on the first or second computer. In either case, the computers are simply synchronized. In the latter case, computer 1 sends MIDI data to computer 2 via as many MIDI channels and virtual ports as desired.
There are a lot of advantages. Like old PCs being re-used increasing the studio's real-time music power. Every user can access as many audio tracks as desired, and as many VST instruments as necessary. Every computer in a VST System Link network adds hard drives and increases processing power. Record a guitar solo while an assistant cuts the vocal takes or mix dialogs while sounds are generated on another machine.
Clients come to the studio, notebook and a pre-arrangement ready, and simply dock onto the local system. Nuendo in the studio, Cubase in clients' home are linked via interface applications.
Dub videos simultaneously with dialog, music, and sound effects while three systems run simultaneously. VST System Link allows hundreds of MIDI channels without any timing problems. Windows and Mac computers can be combined in one network.
12/2001 pro-music-news

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-05-17 09:41 ]</font>
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Guess i wass wrong again!!! or right the first time depending on how you look at it.
You don't need a monitor on the slave computers.

Fighting a quote with a quote :smile:

How is this way of working better than MIDI networking or VST System Link?

You work with a single machine instead of multiple hosts, the FX are totally integrated into the host, therefore you have just one song file with your plug-in settings and one mix integrating all the FX, plug-in parameter automation is in place. Also instead of quite expensive dedicated hardware you use a relatively cheap LAN connection, allowing you to momentarily switch between local (host machine only) and remote modes. There's absolutely no jitter in the system and overall latency is smaller than on most USB MIDI interfaces.

You dont need multiple hosts.
You don't need soundcards on the slave computers.
To me this solution is soo superior to System Link it's not even funny.

And depending on the demand for the PC version there might be a Mac OSX version as well.
To really get the Mac crowd drooling he claims it is possible to use a PC as slave to a Mac!!!
So you can use the enviroment you love and enhance it with some really cheap PC horsepower. The best of 2 worlds.

And possibly world peace as well. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jupiter8 on 2003-05-17 10:38 ]</font>
otter

Post by otter »

Yes, i think it´s better than system link,too(if it works)

What i meant with Z-link is: it would be cool by CW to develop something similar for SFP:So you could put 3 LUNAs in one pc and 3 PULSARs in another pc and then link them via z-link into one system

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: otter on 2003-05-18 16:28 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

well you seem to make some points, Jup, tho I don't think System Link needs a soundcard in the linked computer.
VST, and specially VSTi, is growing that mutch, soon I will have to explore this way of extending sources.
Never heard of Teleport, thanks for that.
cheerz :smile:
visilia

Post by visilia »

FYI, every computer in a SystemLink network does need a soundcard with ADAT, TDIF, AES/EBU or S/PDIF. This is needed to pass all data to other computers.
hubird

Post by hubird »

You must be right, in the quote above is spoken about a digital audio cable.
:sad:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Hi guys :smile:

I found an interesting option for the one you discovered. Interesting though not so rich in features. However it's only MIDI data affected but also distributed via ethernet: http://www.grantedsw.com/imidi/ (it's only OS X AFAIK)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-05-19 09:47 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

thanks Sam, that's half of the game... :smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

the fxteleport will most certainly work practically, though networking isn't the most reliably source theoretically.
Nemesis advertized the same as an advantage of their Gigastudio (a huge file lib on one central server in the studio) and all client machines load via 100mbit Ether.
With the piano it seemed to work, but I've given up the gigastuff in the meantime.

cheers, Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

A single well set up system is so powerful… I can’t imagine that… it’s just too much!

I'm not even sure I need it...
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
MarcelG

Post by MarcelG »

Can't wait untill I can test it. This might be the solution to all my wishes...
mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

Rewire is a protocol that allows easy integration from music software with Cubase that will correct for delay etc that I think is better even than ASIO because no soundcard is involved in the process. (not sure about this though...) Reason and rebirth for example use this as an option to move sound from software to Cubase without bumping through a soundcard.

The software doesn't support rewire, but when I emailed the company they indicated they might consider developing a similar tech for rewire in the future... WOuld be cool for users of reason.

-mythalethe
erezx

Post by erezx »

welllll ....
i couldnt really find the software ...
seems nice thow ,
we sure gonna try it before we'll buy the
ADAT 2 the 2nd luna ....
if some 1 hears about the software ,
ill be more then happy 2 hear about it ,
and try it at home ...
cheers ....