Test: John Bowen Solaris 2019 OLED V.1.4.4 Synthesizer

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spielraum

Test: John Bowen Solaris 2019 OLED V.1.4.4 Synthesizer

Post by Spielraum »

Amazona.de wrote: ...Der Solaris gehört meiner Meinung nach zu den ganz großen Synthesizern unsere Zeit. Er verbindet wie kein anderer das Moderne mit dem Zeitalter der Vintage-Klassiker. ...

Zweiter Frühling: John Bowen SOLARIS 2019 [14. August 2019]
jump >> https://www.amazona.de/test-john-bowen-solaris-2019-oled-v-1-4-4-synth/

Solaris Pre-Order information [August 20, 2019]
jump >> http://www.johnbowen.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=11

Johnny B. Goode // u2be // Solaris - New Presets and Demo (2017)

<> IS SCHON GEIL DAS TEIL <>
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
Marco

Re: Test: John Bowen Solaris 2019 OLED V.1.4.4 Synthesizer

Post by Marco »

There are only 20 aviable with OLED in this charge. Cost only 500€ more. That's really exklusive and a little bit decadence.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Marco, the optional OLED's cost additional US$250, not 500 Euro. That includes the 5 smaller OLED's and the White on Black LCD in the middle

And the 20 available I think meant that 20 orders from the recent batch 7 requested OLED's.
valis

Post by valis »

I'm game for this on my Solaris. I recently modded my Virus kB with an OLED screen and quite like it. Gone is the need to adjust the contrast/angle for different positions.
Marco

Post by Marco »

OLED have a very limited lifetime. I would not pay for that. Most people don't now that. But it Look better, as long as it is living with brightness.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
valis

Post by valis »

In my case, my synths would still have the original LCD's on hand to be swapped back, so I agree with you in that regards. A bigger concern of mine than limited lifetime, however, is the burn-in that they may exhibit over time.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

From what I have read, OLED technology has come a long way since the short lifetime concerns were first realised, and I believe that is less of an issue nowadays although I cannot confirm this is the case. But I agree that for the extra cost of the OLEDs it would have been useful to have included the original LCDs in case. Might be worth asking John about that and see what he says.
Marco

Post by Marco »

For a bolide like the Solaris, customers await a long lifetime. A Solaris for the rest of your life. In this case, the OLED looks really super, but this love may not rust. I am shure there will be no Real Problem. A new Display should not cost to much.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:32 am For a bolide like the Solaris, customers await a long lifetime. A Solaris for the rest of your life.
^^^ This !
But you probably cannot in digital world where repairs are too expensive or impossible, module exchange is needed almost always and parts/modules become unavailable quickly.
Marco wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:32 am A new Display should not cost to much.
As long as it´s available ...
And IF it is,- p.ex. as a original replacement part,- it might cost several hundred dollars like it is when ordering a original display for a Kurzweil PC3 or such.
Already the original display for a Yamaha DX7mkII cost several hundred Deutsche Mark in the past (IIRC it was DM 800,- !).
I had to replace it on a tour ´cause a roadie damaged it and it was big luck the production had to pay for.

There are sometimes 3rd party replacements available like it is for Kurzweil and provided by a UK seller,- but it´s still a limited ressource and the offer might fade out unexpectedly.
Units w/ lots of displays are comfortable AND risky.
Oberheim Xpander / Matrix-12 is such example even there´s a UK seller offering complete displayboard units w/ 3 new displays since some years.
But there will come the day where also these display units will be unavailable.

:)

Bud

P.S.:

That´s why I still hope for the Solaris 1HU "blackbox" expander coming w/ a VSTi and/or SCOPE device like editor in addition.
Marco

Post by Marco »

These Displays do not look very custom made, I guess they are not to expensive, but I have not checked yet. In the 80ties when the DX7 was new, a Display and built in cost where extremely high but nowadays All these not custom made electronic Displays should not be to expensive. E. G. Roland D50 Display cost 30€,and that's still to expensive, because a normal spare Part cost only a few €, you only need to adapt the voltage.

So maybe somebody should take a bunch of spare displays and share if necessary.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:10 am E. G. Roland D50 Display cost 30€,and that's still to expensive, because a normal spare Part cost only a few €, ...
You mean the backlight foil I fear.
I own D550 and replaced backlight which fits the EUR30,- margin.
Marco wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:10 am So maybe somebody should take a bunch of spare displays and share if necessary.
Good idea,- please do it !
I´ll provide my gearlist soon !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
Marco

Post by Marco »

No that back light foil is shit, it darkens after time. But the whole Display in Blue or green cost less than 5€. I did it on mine.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 pm No that back light foil is shit, it darkens after time. But the whole Display in Blue or green cost less than 5€. I did it on mine.
You mean D50/550 ?

Can you provide a link please ?

:)

Bud