ScopeSync public launch!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

sharc

Re: ScopeSync public launch!

Post by sharc »

enantiodromia wrote:how do i use it in cubase?
- Set up ScopeSync at the Scope end as per Setting up ScopeSync Connections tutorial
- In Cubase load the ScopeSync VST plugin as an insert on a stereo audio track
- Select the appropriate ASIO IOs for the track and switch on the track Monitor to allow snapshots to be sent from Scope.
- All done :)
enantiodromia

Post by enantiodromia »

thank you sharc :)
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Hmmm.... website appears to be down. :(

I was all excited there for a minute.

Update: Nevermind. Back up. Must be all the excitement! :)
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

irrelevance wrote:Big downside for me so far (if there has to be one?) is the initial set up time/calibration, + time investment to convert exsisting modular designs over to bc equivalents and I'm yet to get a truly satisfactory result, or at least anything that couldn't be achieved through quicker means in with scope and daw at this stage at least I appreciate this is probably just a case of working styles as I like to ptach small and quick patches. However the scope sync once set shows some great modular control potential.
JoPo wrote: I wish so much to control any Scope device thanks to ScopeSync that I thought that's what you were doing ! :roll:
Maybe I misunderstand your request but is there a need for scope sync with regular scope devices when the internal resolution of parameters when modulated even with midi sounds smooth (interpolated?) . Sample accuracy would definitely be welcome and bi-directional OSC would be my top wish for scope.
Hi irrelevance,

Good to hear from you and thanks for your feedback. I totally agree that for simple short-term patching, the overhead of setting up parameters etc. is a bit much. Your request for bi-directional OSC is actually next on our roadmap though and if this works well it could be our route to automating more of the device setup, if modules are created (or updated) to expose their parameter definitions. We'll be keeping everyone informed on progress of that, as I'm sure lots of people will be interested.

Sample accuracy is an interesting one, as I'm only aware of Cubase offering sample accurate automation, which requires VST3. In other hosts that we've tested, the best automation frequency* is around 700Hz (or every 1.5ms). In terms of what can be achieved with the current Scope libraries, our audio-based solution is close to optimal, as the sync/async conversion inside the DSP implementation occurs at roughly 3.3kHz, so about 5 times faster than typical hosts.

For the OSC solution, we will initially be using the host-based async handling, which will give us updates roughly every 50ms (possibly affected by system load), which is 200Hz. Ideally we'd move to sync-based handling (which would then be accurate down to buffer size), but we want to make sure that the system is as stable as possible and we had difficulties getting compatibility across all Windows versions using the sync handling in the Scope libraries. I'm sure someone with a deeper understanding than me of device drivers etc. would be able to resolve it though, so we're certainly not ruling it out!

Regarding your point about smoothing, it's worth noting that there is still a resolution benefit over MIDI, as there are plenty of use cases where you need to be able to pick out a specific value, rather than the nearest of 128 steps. For example, when tuning FM operators, or for precise EQ or filter control. Ignoring automation for a second, it's important that loading up a VST preset results in the same sound as when you saved it.

Anyway, we're very open to wider debates about how we move forward with ScopeSync and what the priorities should be and hope you'll be patient with us as we continue to build on the current foundation!

Thanks,
Will

* When I say automation frequency, I mean how often the DAW processes an automation update and does something with it. To put it another way, it's the sample rate of automation curves in the DAW.
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Congrats!
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
Gaslight_Twilights

Post by Gaslight_Twilights »

Okay, so I'll go ahead and be that guy :D So I went through the tutorials, watched all the great videos, set up everything and it's all ready. Now I have no idea what the hell this shit is even for lol! I have no idea how to even begin to use ScopeSync or I guess even what the point of it is after watching the videos. So do I use it to control Scope devices in my DAW? That would be pretty tits. Do I use it just strictly for making devices? Meh. So there you are guys, you have that one asshole here who just completely missed the big picture lol : Me. Apart from all that, the templates look really pretty lol
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

I just have to toss in after seeing a tutorial video. This is awesome! seriously?! i was totally blown away by the options this gives in the daw.. hopefully it will work without problem in FL Studio. :)

Great work!! big respect!

Rgs
Egil
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote:I have no idea how to even begin to use ScopeSync or I guess even what the point of it is after watching the videos. So do I use it to control Scope devices in my DAW? That would be pretty tits. Do I use it just strictly for making devices? Meh. So there you are guys, you have that one asshole here who just completely missed the big picture lol : Me. Apart from all that, the templates look really pretty lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you have to learn using stock Modular synths in SCOPE 1st, then integrate free 3rd party stuff like CWM and BCM.
Once done, learning and usage of SCOPE Sync might make sense.

B.t.w., I say it because I´m possibly in the same boat like you.
Not enough time to dive deep enough into all these possibilities being offered, but I´m pretty sure it´s all great.
These guys like Sharc, W-Ellis and JHulk know very well what they do and they are very innovative.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Gaslight_Twilights

Okay, so for example, I have this beautiful modular 3 patch set up, I want to use Scope Sync to automate the filter cutoff in my DAW, how do I go about doing that?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Did you really watch the video ??
Start with the first one and after its end, watch the second one, then the third.....untill the end :D
It's very well explained. Why would one repeat what w_ellis says in the video ? Just watch them and do what he says at the same time, it will work.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Gaslight_Twilights

JoPo wrote:Did you really watch the video ??
Start with the first one and after its end, watch the second one, then the third.....untill the end :D
It's very well explained. Why would one repeat what w_ellis says in the video ? Just watch them and do what he says at the same time, it will work.
I know how to set up the cutoff filter on the scope sync VST, no problem there. My problem is understanding how to do it on the scope side. Yeah I set up the BC Shell and all that, but how do I route from there? Do I have to set up that same configuration in another shell I'm using or what?
garyb

Post by garyb »

use cv.....
Gaslight_Twilights

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new to all this, so a lot of it doesn't quite make sense to me yet. Still learning, so please try to be patient lol
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
sharc

Post by sharc »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote:Okay, so for example, I have this beautiful modular 3 patch set up, I want to use Scope Sync to automate the filter cutoff in my DAW, how do I go about doing that?

I know how to set up the cutoff filter on the scope sync VST, no problem there. My problem is understanding how to do it on the scope side. Yeah I set up the BC Shell and all that, but how do I route from there? Do I have to set up that same configuration in another shell I'm using or what?
If you load the SS128A module into your modular3 patch you can then connect (the socket labelled with the ScopeSync code used by the cutoff parameter you've set up) to your filter module. Which socket on the filter you connect to depends on the patch and filter module used.

In the ScopeSync installation folder you'll find a Tutorial called sliders demo with a simple BC Modular synth patch. This uses some common example parameters like filter cutoff.

In this example the BC filter module has a dedicated frequency (Fc) input and you'll notice that it's connected via a Ctrl Smooth F module. For modular3 or 4 filters you might only have modulation inputs marked 'CFm' or similar. Those should also be fine to use.

Roy (cwmod) has made some excellent ScopeSync patches which are available here - http://www.bcmodular.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

They might be a little advanced for anyone who's quite new to modular, but they're well worth checking out :)
dante

Post by dante »

Good demo - Ill pinch that too.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Gaslight_Twilights wrote:Okay, so I'll go ahead and be that guy :D So I went through the tutorials, watched all the great videos, set up everything and it's all ready. Now I have no idea what the hell this shit is even for lol! I have no idea how to even begin to use ScopeSync or I guess even what the point of it is after watching the videos. So do I use it to control Scope devices in my DAW? That would be pretty tits. Do I use it just strictly for making devices? Meh. So there you are guys, you have that one asshole here who just completely missed the big picture lol : Me. Apart from all that, the templates look really pretty lol
Hi Gaslight_Twilights,

Welcome to the world of Scope Modular and ScopeSync! Please don't be discouraged as you get involved in using either or both! If you've not built any modular patches before, the Tutorial manual that comes with Modular (II onwards) is very helpful and I strongly recommend getting in touch with Assaf Dar if he's still making his modular course videos available.

I went on the two online courses Assaf gave a few years back starting with practically no knowledge to having the skills to build a variety of different styles of synth and effect. It might not seem like it at first, but in the end it can be much easier to build something in Modular that does exactly what you want than trying to using a pre-built device that needs to be configured to work how you want.

If you do decide that you're not really up for that just yet, you'll at least be able to take advantage of community-built devices that incorporate ScopeSync support. There are already a few on the BC Modular forum and I know of a number more in the works.

Thanks,
Will
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Finally downloaded and installed with a quick test between DAW and BCM via ScopeSync. Jaw is stuck in dropped position, drooling on shoes. :o I would say this has a very bright and open-ended future. A significant Scope milestone. :D Long live Scope. The rest devolve mostly into road-kill at some point. :lol:
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

Hi Will,

Is ScopeSync still in development?
Do you have a release date for Black Star (ScopeSync 0.5.0-beta) ?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Hi vascomusic,

You can see the impact of becoming a father here :wink:
gh.png
gh.png (12.11 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Still working on it, but it's taking a lot longer now!

Also, apart from a few individuals, there's not been a huge amount of interest. It was a massive effort to get to the last version of ScopeSync, including all of the work on the tutorial videos etc. and I'm guessing there's probably fewer than 10 people actively using it.

Would be great to get more feedback on what's really important to people, as there's lots of people complaining that they don't have Scope 6 yet, but not many prepared to help with an alternative path to enhancing what we have.

Thanks,
Will

P.S. Sorry if that sounds a bit moany... my sleep's not as good these days either!