Great device!
XITE-1, Cubase Pro 10.5 - WIN 10 64-bit
http://www.seismofunk.com
mausmuso

Re: Email from SC: G.O.S.T Mattomat for real time composing

Post by mausmuso »

I bought it too.
This plug is great.
It was immediately useful and I can see I will use it constantly from here on.
I slave it to Samplitude via Midi Clock, sent midi to it from SAM and returned the Arp back to SAM as a midi input to a synth.
All worked beautifully.
I then saved the returned midi into a SAM track and moved on to the next synth.
The end result is midi tracks that can be edited and sent to vsti, scope or external synths.
A couple of things I noted:
- I had to start the sequence from bar 1.1.0 to make it slave properly. If I started further into the sequnce Mattomat ignored the clock and did not run
- The returned midi was slightly late (as you might expect) and I simply dragged the saved midi back onto beat and all was sweet
This is worth every cent - go get it!
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Hooray.
Managed to convince the wife to let me eat into this months budget a little so i can take advantage of the initial offer.
Will be purchasing asap.

:)
mateo555

Post by mateo555 »

New Mattomat video out on youtube.com : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMuffjj7gA
It shows 2 Mattomat`s synchronized.
dawman

Post by dawman »

:wink:
Thanks, I needed that as I wanted a Master w/ Slaves where an entire lower octave of an 88 note controller could use 8-12 notes to trigger 3 x 4 part Mattomats.
This is a very deep device, it's only limitation is ones imagination.

Congrats Thomas

Vibes From My Britches...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Can someone clarify the cc control to be set up on minimax when using the combined presets for mattomat&minimax.
garyb

Post by garyb »

midi preset?
dante

Post by dante »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Can someone clarify the cc control to be set up on minimax when using the combined presets for mattomat&minimax.
When I loaded the corresponding patches on each, they were preconfigured & just worked. Is something not working ?
mateo555

Post by mateo555 »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Can someone clarify the cc control to be set up on minimax when using the combined presets for mattomat&minimax.
Hi Liquid Edge, you have to load the Mattomat Minimax project first, because the CC informations ( which CC goes to which synth paramter ) in the Minimax are stored in that Xite/Scope project, not in the devices or presets. I hope that answers your question , otherwise get in touch with me here : mhkeul@aol.com
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cheers. Yeah I wasn't loading the project just the devices in one of mine.
Nice one. :-)
Still , I would like to use the presets in my own projects as a starting point sometimes. I'll send you an e-mail :)

Edit. Actually all I need to do is load the preset project and have a look at the cc list.

Thanks again for a keul device. :-)
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

I've been playing with Mattomat for a few days and here are my thoughts.

Generally I think its a very good device - fun to play with, reasonably intuitive and capable of helping you get some very interesting sounds out of both Scope and VSTi's alike. It's certainly unique in the world of Scope and all respect to Matthias for managing to develop this within Scope.

There are a couple of things that I think could be added which would improve it (and dare I say it make it worth the full price).
Have banks of patterns available, rather than the single pattern currently on offer. These could be triggered by notes in a certain keyrange (say) at the bottom of the keyboard. Being able to switch between patterns at the press of a key would really open up the device enormously and nake it much more usable in a live situation. The step sequencer on the Solaris has this functionality, and so do other Zarg synths IIRC. It's also available in VSTis like Geist. I'm sure it would be a fair amount of work to add it, but I think it would take the product to another level.

Add a text field or popup, with the text saved per preset, so that you can make notes on what you were using a particular preset for when you created it. You could record what the CC's were assigned to, what sort of preset to use it with (pads, leads, etc) etc, etc.

Adding a midi activity light, as is available on pretty much all other Score devices would be useful. Sometimes you need to verify that your device really is receiving midi when you aren't hearing any output.

Some other general findings:
When the sequencer is running in reverse and you have less than 32 steps, the step indicator runs backwards from step 32. So you might have steps 1-8 running, but the step indicator will run from 32-24.

There were occasions when changing a parameter (particularly Hold settings, Reverse setting and Arpeg (Up, Down, Up/Down, etc) resulted in nothing being produced by the attached synth anymore. I could not work out why this was and could only fix it by changing to a different preset. This happened quite a few times. I think it's more to do with my lack of understanding of the way the different settings interact, but I don't find this intuitive at the moment.

I found it difficult to set up patterns which were triggered by notes playing on the keyboard but which were silent when I was not pressing a key. I know it's possible because at least one of the demo patches does this, but I couldn't create one from scratch. Again, probably my lack of understanding about the relationship between 'hold' and 'arpeg' settings.

The manual. I know that Matthias does not have a large department to produce PDF manuals for him, but there's no excuse not to get someone to proof-read the manual. Not only spelling mistakes and some lack of clarity in places, but whole sentences in German. It would not have been hard to find a volunteer on PlanetZ to spend 10 minutes proof reading the manual.

As already noted, Mattomat will only sync to a sequencer when you set the sequencer back to bar 1. Would be great if this could be fixed.

I still think this is a great device and don't mean to disparage the work that Matthias has already done - these are just ideas for improvements.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I really like the way it uses the older DSP chips on the XITE-1.
It comes pre assigned to DSP 3...

I am just trying it right now to record from and playback on my external Analog SE-1X.
I could us a little help.

I need to use the Wolf Panic Button in auto mode for my external hardware synth on Channel 16.
I hit record and start playing notes using the visual yellow strip that points to each step as it rotates clockwise. I can hear the notes, then as soon as it hits the 1st step again I stop.

Then I try playback and hear no SE-1X, even though while recording I could hear it.
mat 1.png
Am I missing something...?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I created this partially proof-read version:
MATTOMAT manual english.pdf
(303.52 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Yeah, a bank of patterns would be cool.
That would be the only thing to improve on an already fantastic device.
Apart from the graphical improvement of the highlighted steps in reverse with less than 32 steps.

With the bank selection (if they decided to include this) maybe have a second midi input for the selection of pattern banks.

It's not a big deal having to start at the beginning of the bar in your daw.
Mattomat is just syncing to the midi clock not where in the project you are in the daw.

With regards to mattomat and whatever synth it's connected to only making sound when a key or keys are pressed on the keyboard. Just have "sort" checked/ticked in the input options and nothing else, works for me.

Really keul device
dante

Post by dante »

Ben Walker wrote:I found it difficult to set up patterns which were triggered by notes playing on the keyboard but which were silent when I was not pressing a key. I know it's possible because at least one of the demo patches does this, but I couldn't create one from scratch. Again, probably my lack of understanding about the relationship between 'hold' and 'arpeg' settings..
Yes I mentioned this one to Matthias, but also put it down to needing to read the manual further. But having this made easier / more obvious would be good. Meanwhile if you find out how to do it, let us know.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote:
Ben Walker wrote:I found it difficult to set up patterns which were triggered by notes playing on the keyboard but which were silent when I was not pressing a key. I know it's possible because at least one of the demo patches does this, but I couldn't create one from scratch. Again, probably my lack of understanding about the relationship between 'hold' and 'arpeg' settings..
Yes I mentioned this one to Matthias, but also put it down to needing to read the manual further. But having this made easier / more obvious would be good. Meanwhile if you find out how to do it, let us know.
Liquid EDGE wrote: With regards to mattomat and whatever synth it's connected to only making sound when a key or keys are pressed on the keyboard.
Just have "sort" checked/ticked in the input options and nothing else, works for me.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The newer manual really helps. I got the external Hardware synth being triggered, so next task is recording.
I wish each step could have up to 64 x 8th notes, instead of 8.
64/8 x 4 steps is enough for an entire song.

On the XITE-1 the Mattomat is assigned DSP 3 and seems like it takes very little DSP.
I see on the older DSP chips it takes 50-60 on the meter per instance. Good idea.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

please dig a bit deeper_
and welcome to anohter level i hope:

the manual is an editable document;
add to it whatever you think is missing_
clarify and correct whatever you like or translate it to you home language_
you can use a free application like pdf_creator to save it as a pdf_
--------

think the pattern is a bank and the song a program in your presetlist;
the presetlist itself reakts on programchange bank select events;
no need for a certain keyrange at the bottom... take the progr.change bank select about each keyboard has
( at least each newer keyboard) to switch the pattern/banks and songs programs;
you may also add text in the comments area or give the program and banks meaningful names;

if you need more text or pics or videos take UPLINK in the free devices section_
if you need to switch presetlists from differrent devices like
mixer
connected synth
multifx the hole project
take the preset controller also in the free devs forum to switch them all togheter with 1 button click of your masterkeyboard_
you may switch all or just parts on the fly;
think about it this is the most flexible and easierst way to do_
-------

mattomat starts with a FA midievent midiclockSTART
it switches to the next step with a F8 clock event
and stops with a FC midiclockSTOP;
so simply send FA if you want it to start;
you may stop its output by sending no more clock events;
but the stop event resets to the beginning;
-------

switching some of the inputoptions resets the temporary notebuffer yes;
but here also think about it what it would mean if it would NOT do it__

good vibes
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Ok.
So the preset list is the pattern bank. (for the moment)
Thanks for the tip.
I wonder how instant changing a preset is and if it effects the running of mattomat when playing as slave or master.
Will test as soon as possible.
But with an actual set of preset banks on the device this behavior would be nice, the pattern would change on 1.1.0 even if the desired pattern bank is selected before a whole cycle is complete.

Amazing device. But I still feel the proper addition of pattern banks on the device would be a welcome addition.
Will test what it's like changing the presets when it's all running live and see how it behaves and report back.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

yes please tell me if it works for you_

we need feedback here_

fe.
would a next step be to automize the preset list
or do we have to code a new storage handling instead of the presetlist avail;

do people use this feature to send progrchange bank select at all
--------

?? vibes