PlanetZ status and future plans

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

What should happen here?

Leave everything the way it is (maybe with minor changes/reorganization)
96%
Migrate all the data/users to another site where it can be more actively managed
1%
Shut it down- it's done! (Exodus to other forums)
3%

Total votes: 74

John Cooper

PlanetZ status and future plans

Post by John Cooper »

Hi guys,

As many of you know, I don't spend as much time here as I did in the past. When Pulsar was young, and I was obsessed with its awesomeness, I created a website for all things Pulsar, and later Scope/XITE/etc. Here we are nearly 13 years later. Anyone remember this? http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/image/OldPulsarSite.gif

The planetz forums are currently averaging 10 new users per month, and about 30 new posts per day (900/month).

I'm no longer running Scope myself, and don't really try to keep up with all the activity here. I'm deeply involved in other projects, and don't spend as much time here as is deserved. I generally allow you all to self-moderate, and only really intervene when things go bad. Aside from spam and spammers, I very rarely ban, and even more rarely delete content. Some folks don't like my approach ("let's all act like adults and get along"), and many left at the end of 2009 to start their own duplicate forums (xited.org) where they could have more control over banning people/content they didn't like.

I know some of you have made planetz a home away from home, over the years. I have continued maintaining the site to keep it going for you guys, but I've been unable to make any great improvements or big changes. I'm curious what you think? I've attached a poll to get a feel for what we should do, going forward. Feel free to reply with comments and other suggestions.

Humbly yours,
-John
dawman

Re: PlanetZ status and future plans

Post by dawman »

Hi JC,
I voted to leave everything as is, as to me the Z is a way of life.
I tried to vote and it said Submition Invalid, but I picked Numbero Uno.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones...
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

+1 , just leave it this way.
Last time you change something, lot's of links were corrupted and old files disappeared.

PS:
same trouble with Poll that does not work though.

I already noticed this on another poll but thought it was something else going wrong with my browser.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I tried to vote and it said Submition Invalid, but I picked Numbero Uno.
Sorry guys, I fixed the broken poll! You can vote now.
HUROLURA wrote:Last time you change something, lot's of links were corrupted and old files disappeared.
At that time (after some dicussion), we intentionally expired off the old files, because we were taking too much server space. This unfortunately did leave some broken links around. If you see links that you think should be working, please let me know.

-John
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Poll feature fixed. Thanks.

Leaving the forum as it is would just be OK for me as I got used to the way it is organized.
I once thought the ASB and NOAH stuff could be merged but as these are different devices it would just make newcomer lost and get to something messy.

Thanks for your offer about broken links and vanished files ...
I think some interesting file like presets were lost then.
May I PM you when I find one I feel could be usefull ?
Last edited by HUROLURA on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

HUROLURA wrote:Poll feature fixed.

Thanks for your offer about broken links and vanished files ...
I think some interesting file like presets were lost then.
May I PM you when I find one I feel could be usefull ?
Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that I still have the files. Many of the old backup files were on a server hosted by creamware, that all disappeared when creamware dissolved :(

-John
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Then maybe somebody has the files somewhere (maybe I even do).

We'll see while going further ..
Last edited by HUROLURA on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Sure, if you have something you'd like to re-attach to a post, just PM me.
-John
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Yeah, I'd like to see it stay as is and even evolve.

and I don't consider the other forums and 'exodus'. Just another party to go to :)

Thanks for holding the fort for all these years (and I remember that first page - wow!).

Greg
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

+1 for remaining as it is. After all if it ain't broke why try fixing it....well, apart from the old broken links that is :)

And on that note, my thanks to JC for all his hard work in keeping this site going all this time.

Cheers

t_t
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

I don't visit as much as I used to John, but this site has always been a very valuable place to be.
I'd vote for leaving it as it is, but I think folks ought to bear in mind YOUR feelings, plans and interests.
If this season of your life is coming to an end and you want to move on, then you should do that.
I don't think that you owe any of us anything, but neither should you continue for our sakes if you feel it is time to move on.
The world will be a poorer place without "Z" but we've all had the pleasure/gained a lot of knowledge and had lots of fun during the years that you have made this site available to us, and I think we all owe you a big round of applause and many "thank you's"

Just give us plenty of warning about what you plan!
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

I'm one of the more frequent visitors i suspect, and I'm very happy with how things are handled here. I would love to keep it as is as i don't see any lack of functionality. I also notice that more and more users post links to their files/mp3's instead of uploading files here so i guess the bandwith issues/server space is less demanding these days.

I rarely visit the other forum as i have what i need here. If you have the capacity to keep it up it would be the best, but if you have enough with other obligations it would be totally understandable to look for alternative organization/migration. If it ever comes to that please give a hint so we could further investigate options!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that sums it up nicely.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Wow, I had my 10 years PlanetZ aniversary 1½ month ago. For every week I lived, on two days I was a PlanetZ member. John, if PlanetZ (the forum) turns out to be (or is) something you don't want in your life anymore, then we should all be thankful for all that it (you) have given us. In that case, I feel a migration will be the best choice. You never know what happens, when location is changed - but it will be much much better than deleting all. If you really do not mind, and it isn't something that takes your energy from other things in life, then I definitely vote for keeping it here.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
dante

Post by dante »

+1 for 'leave as is' ....

If it aint broke, why fix it ?

You've done a great job - of which the continued traffic is the best testament.
bosone

Post by bosone »

i'm here since this forum exist, i think... and i like it a lot.
maybe now i lurk more than post, but just keep everything as is.
BTW... this forum is great, and thank you very much for the effort!

PS: i just tried to search for my first post:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 1725#p1725

24 december 2000 !
for me it is almost 11 years of happy scope use... and i still have my original creamware pulsar 1 card!
astroman

Post by astroman »

time's bit short on my side, too - but I agree 100% with Dante
it's a cool place 8)

cheers, Tom
(and tnx for the good job, John)
Me$$iah

Post by Me$$iah »

I lurk far more than I ever post, but yeh..... like others have said this place works
+1 on the leaving as is

I wouldnt know what to do without the z

Thanks John for thie place. We all appreciate it greatly.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

+1 for 'leave as is' ....
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

i like this place a lot.
thanks for setting it up and may it continue.
:)