SCOPE 5.1

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

microraver

Re: SCOPE 5.1

Post by microraver »

iSiStOy wrote:what attachment are you talking about? Windows server 2008 trick?
Do you mean some 2008 server R2 "trick" (which is necessarily 64bit by the way)?
Sorry, it's been stated so many time as not being possible and you might have to give some proof of 4->xx GB used in full charge in your 32bit Windows 7 to be credible.
The kernel of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 has only a lock, which prevents access to more memory.
just read this : " http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/3 ... ml?lang=EN "

I'm using this for more than 1 month without any problems !!!
Cubase 5,Scope v5.1 XTC,2xScope Project+2x A16 Ultra+PoCo 6000(CL1B+Virus)+UAD2-QUAD(Comp,Rev,EQ)+plugiator Full.Mackie Control+Ext.ASUS P5WDH,CPU Q6600@3GHZ,6GB RAM,2xPCIe Graphics,4 Display's.Win 7 32 & 64bit.
http://soundcloud.com/dominium
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

That's an interesting post, thank you.

But it seems to allow your OS to be aware of more present RAM and in no case to allow programs to use more than their limit of addressable memory per process, even if the system is aware they could.
Until you make some test to show us a 4 GB memory use for one of your .exe, it still limited to the addressable range of 32bit to me.
Last edited by iSiStOy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacef

Post by spacef »

interesting, what's the use of 64bits then ?
I Think isistoy wants microraver to overload a sampler with huge amounts of samples, (would love to see that too :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Hi Spacef,
Exactly! That would indeed void the need for 64bitz OSes for most of us, thanks to microraver :)
soylent.green

Post by soylent.green »

microraver wrote:
iSiStOy wrote:what attachment are you talking about? Windows server 2008 trick?
Do you mean some 2008 server R2 "trick" (which is necessarily 64bit by the way)?
Sorry, it's been stated so many time as not being possible and you might have to give some proof of 4->xx GB used in full charge in your 32bit Windows 7 to be credible.
The kernel of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 has only a lock, which prevents access to more memory.
just read this : " http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/3 ... ml?lang=EN "

I'm using this for more than 1 month without any problems !!!
Hey y'all,
Here's some discussion of 64Bits. It's probably obviuos advantage is size of "usable" memory, but it also comes with DEP...
Read for instance here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... ws_x64.doc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#Pros_and_cons
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

This "MemFix" is just a PAE enabled kernel!

With AWE and PAE 32bit systems can make use of more than 4GB of ram, but only as a cache!
You still have the 2GB kernel mem, and 2GB application mem limit, unless you enable the /3GB switch, which makes this 1GB Kernel mem, and 3GB application mem. BUT ONLY IF THE PROGRAM IS WRITTEN TO SUPPORT THIS! SQL Server (2000/2005/2008) is pretty much the only PreCompiled software that can make use of this (if started with some switches)!

The rest of the memory can actually be used as a cache, but it still has to unload/load into the kernel or application mem pools to be able to execute! This is however obviously much faster to read/write from RAM to RAM than from RAM to Disk or Disk to RAM.
64bit systems doesn't have this limitation! (actually they have a limit but it will not at least be a problem for a few years to come (until we have like a couple of thousands of terabytes of RAM).
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Which switch are you talking about regarding SQL Server? Is it switchable with SQL 2005?

thanks for clarification, Oxigenial
CroNiX

Post by CroNiX »

microraver wrote: ???? I'm using here Win7 Ultimate 32bit with 6 GB ram !!
Sorry, but you're not. Go to Start/Control Panel/System.
It will show how much ram is installed. It will also say in parenthesis that only "(3.5 GB usable)" if you have over 3.5GB installed. The OS doesn't use anything over 3.5GB even if it shows more available. It is impossible to address more memory space than this using 32bit architecture.

So, that extra 2GB you have installed is sitting there doing nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit
maky325

Post by maky325 »

microraver wrote:
iSiStOy wrote:Let me just add that it's not because you see 8 GB in your 7's task manager that the OS is able to use it.
This is a question of being able to address such memory ranges, with 32bit.
Ok ,here it is ,see attachement or jpeg !!!
The attachment Win7 32bit 6gb.JPG is no longer available
But iSiStoy is right. You don't see what he talks since you have localized windows version. See this:
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

iSiStOy wrote:Which switch are you talking about regarding SQL Server? Is it switchable with SQL 2005?

thanks for clarification, Oxygenial
This is very offtopic from Scope 5.1 64bit but anyways, here you have more info on AWE and PAE.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/vipulshah/ar ... stems.aspx

This basically sets the Windows kernel to be able to address 36bits instead of 32bits. But all the memory above the 4GB (32bit address limit) can only be used as a cache. Which means in order to make use of this memory, it has to flush the Application Mem Pool (2GB as standard, and 3GB if /3GB switch is set and application is compiled to be able to use VAS - Virtual Address Space)

And this how you set SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 to use more than the default 2GB (Full application mem pool range):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 90%29.aspx

Just note that these implementations has drawbacks, hence why they are not configured by default, and should only be used with supported software!
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

oxygenial wrote:This "MemFix" is just a PAE enabled kernel!

With AWE and PAE 32bit systems can make use of more than 4GB of ram, but only as a cache!
What are you talking about? PAE is functioning perfectly. 32bit address space is still limit to 4GB of memory, so no single program can address more than the 4GB, but you can have multiple programs that can use upto 4GB of RAM each. The OS just which between the 4GB pages.

PAE works perfectly in OSX, Linux, FreeBSD etc etc etc. The 2GB/3GB limitations is something that Microsoft have implemented in it's consumer (none PAE) products - but not in it's server products.

x86-64 is actually very close to way PAE is working (32bit have 2 tables, 32bit PAE use 3 tables and
64bit use 4 tables)
Last edited by Warp69 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Yes, a bit OT but that will help me at workx!

Thanks, oxygenial
microraver

Post by microraver »

For all the UnBelivers , try msinfo32 and see what you have !!

Here is mine !
msinfo32.JPG
msinfo32.JPG (112.34 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Cubase 5,Scope v5.1 XTC,2xScope Project+2x A16 Ultra+PoCo 6000(CL1B+Virus)+UAD2-QUAD(Comp,Rev,EQ)+plugiator Full.Mackie Control+Ext.ASUS P5WDH,CPU Q6600@3GHZ,6GB RAM,2xPCIe Graphics,4 Display's.Win 7 32 & 64bit.
http://soundcloud.com/dominium
dawman

Post by dawman »

I actually wanted to use Windows 7 32bit since my RAM needs aren't that big. In Kontakt 4.0 they have NCW which is 50-60% shrinkage in the samples size through lossless audio.
It also means the RAM needs shrink as well.
For instance LASS Lite is an extremely well desgined and optimized instrument if one needs Orchestral strings. It use to need 8GB's of RAM, now it needs next to nothing since it is a lite version, and uses NCW techniques too.
So I readup on guys using WIndows 7 32bit and found they were using close to 3GB's of RAM.
I was use to using the PAE Switch and only getting 2.2-2.4GB's.
That would have been fine for my live needs.
But ny DAW builder installed the 64bit version by mistake, and since I was told by Holger we would be BETA testing on August 24th, I figured I would wait a couple of days forthe 64bit drivers.
I am glad I did.
Now I have all of the RAM I need until I start recording again this Fall and can add another 6GB's of RAM.
Kontakt is way ahead of the developers that are using their own formats like ARIA and PLAY.
Those apps dont have NCW and barely use the SSE4 optimizations.
So IMHO, we are only just about to see the real advantages of 64bit later this year.
Check out the 100 dollar Session Strings from NI................Now ask yourself if the 1500 and 2500 instruments are even worth it...................NOT.
Those big monsters even using an SSD will kill a DAW and can never even be used live.
At least S|C gave us a very stable driver instead of sloppy coded expensive nonsense.
Hats Off Again.............
dante

Post by dante »

LASS Lite is coming awefully close to what I need and can afford in 24 bit strings. I keep hearing raves about LASS being the best string ensemble samples around. If $449UAD is all I need to get this going (I dont have any previous Kontakt stuff) thru ASIO or VST into Cubase then it's probably all I've been waiting for....(apart from budget clearance from the mrs that is...)
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

Warp69 wrote: What are you talking about? PAE is functioning perfectly. 32bit address space is still limit to 4GB of memory, so no single program can address more than the 4GB, but you can have multiple programs that can use upto 4GB of RAM each. The OS just which between the 4GB pages.

PAE works perfectly in OSX, Linux, FreeBSD etc etc etc. The 2GB/3GB limitations is something that Microsoft have implemented in it's consumer (none PAE) products - but not in it's server products.

x86-64 is actually very close to way PAE is working (32bit have 2 tables, 32bit PAE use 3 tables and
64bit use 4 tables)

You're not entirely correct there, but you're on it but seems to be mixing up several things together!

Yes, 32bit physical memory range is 4GB, but PAE, WITH AWE and VAS (4GT) it's not bound to all the 32bit limitations anymore!
A 32bit application which is compiled to make use of PAE, AWE and VAS ( /LARGEADDRESSAWARE ) will under a 64bit OS be able to use 4GB in one application memory pool, but is still restricted to 2GB/3GB under a Windows 32bit OS!

Let's get this straight!

"AWE does not require PAE or 4GT but is often used together with PAE to allocate more than 4 GB of physical memory from a single 32-bit process."

* PAE allows the operating system to access and use more than 4 GB of physical memory.
* 4GT increases the portion of the virtual address space that is available to a process from 2 GB to up to 3 GB.
* AWE is a set of APIs that allows a process to allocate nonpaged physical memory and then dynamically map portions of this memory into the virtual address space of the process.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

And I sincerely do not know where you got your info from, but the 2GB/3GB switch are on the Server products as well!
and has been since Windows 2000 Server, and is still available on Windows Server 2008!
And how much memory an app can use under a Windows 32bit OS (Win 2000+) differs with PAE with AWE and VAS and even with the combinations these are used and supported by the application!

But it is still limited by the 2GB/3GB application memory pool limit, which makes a process being able to use more than 2GB or 3GB, and any data above this mem range can only be used as a cache!
In a simple example. If you open a text file thats 6GB large, only 3GB can be instantly available, hence the word application memory pool, the rest of the 3GB can be read into the memory range above the application memory pool, but in order for it to be read, it has to flush out the data in the application memory pool, and be read into that area. This is however can be a huge performance boost, not having to read it from a harddrive, but from fast RAM instead, which is a perfect explanation why SQL Server 32bit can with a few settings be set to take advantage of this!

This IS how it works in the Windows world (32bit Windows 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Win7, and 2008)! With exceptions from certain Windows 2000 versions!
I have no idea how Linux copes with PAE, and how it uses it, so I won't even go there since I'm a Windows Server MVP!

Now THIS is way OT!
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

I respectfully disagree.

You said that 32bit PAE systems could only use memory above 4GB as cache - this is not entirely correct.

I mentioned multiple other systems that have perfectly functioning PAE implementations. The 2GB/3GB limitations in Windows are NOT related to how PAE is working. Those limitations is related to windows 'User-mode virtual address space' and not PAE - your 4GT flag is related to 'User-mode virtual address space'.

It's like arguing that x86-64bit address space is limited to 192GB just because Windows 7 64bit can only handle 192GB.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

Warp69 wrote:I respectfully disagree.

You said that 32bit PAE systems could only use memory above 4GB as cache - this is not entirely correct.

I mentioned multiple other systems that have perfectly functioning PAE implementations. The 2GB/3GB limitations in Windows are NOT related to how PAE is working. Those limitations is related to windows 'User-mode virtual address space' and not PAE - your 4GT flag is related to 'User-mode virtual address space'.

It's like arguing that x86-64bit address space is limited to 192GB just because Windows 7 64bit can only handle 192GB.
Anyways, for an application, on a 32bit Windows OS since Windows 2000, to be able to use more than 2GB in one instance and to be able to use memory over 4GB!
- The system must be PAE enabled
- The app must be compiled to be AWE compatible
- /3GB (4GT or VAS must be enabled!)

And as this list that I mentioned above explains:
* PAE allows the operating system to access and use more than 4 GB of physical memory.
* 4GT increases the portion of the virtual address space that is available to a process from 2 GB to up to 3 GB.
* AWE is a set of APIs that allows a process to allocate nonpaged physical memory and then dynamically map portions of this memory into the virtual address space of the process.

PAE only enables the OS to be able to address RAM over 4GB
AWE is what makes the application USE this memory!
4GT or /3GB is what shifts the Kernel mem pool / Application mem pool (a.k.a. User-mode virtual address space) so that the Kernel is restricted to 1GB instead of 2GB, and applications can use 3GB instead of 2GB.

But still with PAE an app can address more than 3GB, if it's compiled to conform with AWE, but only 3GB at most can be in the heap, and can be "executed", the rest of the "PAE" app mem is only used as a cache!, and in order for it to be read in the heap, the heap must be flushed, and the "PAE" app mem can then be read into the heap!

Kernel Memory Pool and Application Memory Pool limitations still apply in a 32bit system even if PAE is enabled!
I have several SQL servers here that I monitor every day, that are all PAE enabled. But only those that we've configured with the AWE and /3GB switches makes one SQL instance use more than 2048MB (about 1734MB in reallife)!
And those SQL instances can under a 32bit OS (namely Windows Server 2003 R2) can max use 3072MB per instance!

WOW64 machines behaves differently!
Application Memory Pool for a 32bit application under WOW64 is max 4GB, but still only if the application is compiled for AWE compatibility!
AWE itself and 4GT doesn't exist in 64bit Windows OS's (even though several apps, including SQL Server 64bit still has this checkbox, though it has no effect if it's ticked or not!), but applications must nevertheless be AWE compiled to be able to use a 4GB application memory pool even under a 64bit Windows OS running via WOW64!
MD69

Post by MD69 »

AWE switch is useless for DAW app.
To be useful, it would require the HOST appli (Cubase, ...) to use the AWE library ... which is not and will not be the case because it would require them to manage the heap (the memory dynamically allocated is not released after use). Moreover, the VST instrument using the "in process appartment" model, it would require the host to manage the memory for them (there should be an API to the VST instrument in the VST library).

cheers