New synth name Contest Winner, product announcement!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi All,

Well, I've been working feverishly to bring this design to completion by July 1, and also to give it a name that is both descriptive in what it is and easily recognized.

There were many, many wonderfully creative suggestions - I thank everyone for their participation - but as I tried different ones on the surface, and thinking about other identifications in the market, I eventually decided that the one most basic and obvious name from early on was the best choice.

Sometimes simplicity is a good thing.

With that, I'd like to announce the release of the new <b>Pro-Wave</b> synthesizer system. And as this name was suggested by several people, the first one to suggest this (besting the next by 25 minutes) was Rod Nattrass. Congratulations Rod!

Since the days of the Pro-One, it seems the use of 'Pro-' has been a common designation or 'abbreviation' for Prophet, and since this design is a combination of the main elements of my Waldorf-inspired Quantum Wave with the Proph@t Plus, I felt that 'Pro-Wave' said it all in a short and simple way.

I am calling it a system, because when you purchase the Pro-Wave, you get both the standard type of standalone device, and a Modular version of the synth, which comes with the enhanced patch bay features first seen only on the Proph@t Plus Modular.
In addition, some basic connection modules, such as a dezipper (Interpolate) and converters (async to sync, etc.) are included for improved connectivity.

The introductory price for the system is 129 EUR until the end of July. For this first month, there will not be an extensive set of new presets, but the Pro-Wave does come with all of the current Proph@t Plus presets saved for use in the Pro-Wave, and is completely compatible with all Zarg Music Prophet family preset lists. (Additional presets will be available in early August.)

For screenshots, and other details on this modification of my previous Proph@t Plus design, please visit my Web site, <a href="http://www.johnbowen.com">www.johnbowen.com</a>.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnbowen on 2006-07-01 21:01 ]</font>
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

congrats!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

:cry:
JLS

Post by JLS »

:sad: Same idea
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Congrats
nprime

Post by nprime »

Timing is everything...

Victory is mine!

I'd like to thank my father for always saying "never put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thank you John for choosing Pro-Wave as the name.

Rod
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hey Rod, it's nice to see a PlanetZ old timer winning the comp'. Congrats :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Great :cool:
okantah

Post by okantah »

pro wave indeed.
congrat
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

Hi John

Looks like I'm going to have to get this :smile:

Just one question - does it have identical sound to the ProPh@t when loaded with its presets? (because I was saving up for that anyway)
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi Kymeia,

Yes it is exactly the same internally as the Proph@t Plus; I just added all the extra things. That's why the preset lists are compatible.

cheers,
John B.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I bet that dog will hunt. Well I wanted more action and toys and now I've got it. I see Modular/Adern, Solaris, OBX clone, and Pro-Wave all living happily ever after on my 45 DSP DAW in August. These are great times 4 SFP synth addicts such as myself. The threads are alive with the sound of music,... Julie Andrews right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scope4live on 2006-07-04 11:30 ]</font>
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

Hi,

I just wanted to take a second to say how much fun I've been having with Pro-Wave. I really think John has hit on a great concept with this synth. It combines the personality of two cool classic synths in a very seamless (and fun) way. It's got the great sound of Proph@t, plus some really cool features from Quantum Wave, like the waldorf oscillators, looping envelope and sidechain modulation. But even with all the new features, it's still a very "playable" synth. I like the idea of having a somewhat limited (well, compared to something like Solaris anyway) set well-thought-out features, and really learning how to use them to their maximum potential. For me, it sparks the kind of creativity I experience when I sit down in front of a piano or play an acoustic guitar. I know, i'm rambling. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh yeah, there's also the modular version with the patchbay...Muwahahahaa.

Cheers,
Brent
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi All,

I just wanted to announce that Demo versions of both the Pro-Wave and Pro-Wave Modular are now available. Please send me a request at <mailto:johnbowen@bigplanet.com> johnbowen@bigplanet.com.

cheers,
john b.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: johnbowen on 2006-07-06 12:36 ]</font>
dawman

Post by dawman »

John,
I have invalid address when I try emailing you. It seems to happen on and off randomly. But I am feverish to hear Pro Wave Modular Demo. Remember when I said I would never insult you by asking 4 another demo? I'm just really feverish to hear this, as I am maxed out on my cards from spoiling children in Florida. On the 14th I' will be as fat as your synths, so hopefully you will read this. I will keep trying the email approach, but usually whenever I want something bad, I seem to have to run the 300 meter hurdles to get it. Save one 4 me.

One Of Your Many Humble Servants,
nprime

Post by nprime »

I'll be happy to post some demo sounds as soon as I get my key.

If I have it tomorrow morning I will quickly record some stuff and let you know.

R
dawman

Post by dawman »

I appreciate your contributions.