Creamware's version of the ARP is up.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2003-10-28 13:08, Gregory wrote:
Creamware's version of the ARP is up.

http://www.creamware.de/en/Products/Sof ... efault.asp
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

dunno if it's the demo, but it sounds pretty bland to me... or is it just me? well, atleast it's antialiased. I must be getting old. all these analogue synths are starting sound all the same.
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

No doubt, it is the ARP Odyssey reborn. Especially the fx part of the demo "single sounds 2" is convincing. It sounds exactly like what Jon Lord of Deep Purple used to do on stage. Very impressive indeed, great applause to Creamware.

On the other hand, the excessive use of delay and reverb on the demo blurs out the sonic differences between the plugins. I can se your point Kensurgo.

Neb
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Well, a bit of a surprise this. Nice going CW! But aren't we all just a bit fed up with all the analog clones? And there's already GMedia's Oddity VSTi which is said to be very good.

So what's next? Korg MS20? Roland SH101? Yamaha DX...?
decimator

Post by decimator »

So they really did it ... again ...
I guess we could expect an Oscar and a CS 80 next ? ( very easy but couldn't resist ! )
Imagine I'am fully native, I would buy a CW card for the same synths except they are sounding a little better ( I haven't heard B4 and Oddity were total crap )
Ohmforce has planned a Minimoog as good as the Minimax, we'll see but if it's close enough ... what's left for the Creamware's allure ? lot of native people are drooling over the Mini ...

I'am seriously worried if they continue on that retro path only + followers more than leaders.

My next big purchase may certainly be the CA5000 from Camel Audio, as a hint ... :roll:
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I'm getting pretty sick of the VA thing myself. I mean, how many saw oscillators do we need??? At this point I'd probably use Solaris for everything, and I don't need anything else!
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

I would say there is definitely a market for vintage recreations - but I agree that there also needs to be releases that represent steps forward. And - these types of releases are NOT missing from the platform (both from Creamware and third-party developers). Here are two examples:

1. Flexor by Adern (not to mention the modular system as a whole - offering huge potential beyond just basic analog synthesis)

2. Six-String (a first step in physically modeling that has huge potential)

What is it that you are dying to see released from Creamware? Do you want more focus on physical modeling? How about more development of sampling technologies? Lets hear some suggestions and ideas, and hopefully Creamware will be listening.

Back to the vintage recreation trend, what ever happened to the e-piano plugin that was planned - anyone know?
huffcw

Post by huffcw »

By the way, the CA5000 looks interesting. And I really like this message on their web site:

"Is there an effect or synthesiser that you've always dreamed of having, but doesn't exist yet? Have you ever thought: 'What I really want is something that...' ?
If so, Camel Audio are here to help. If you send an email to suggestions@camelaudio.com, describing the features you'd like to see, we'll see what we can do about turning your dreams into a reality."

Creamware needs to same approach to get ideas and see what people might be interested in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: huffcw on 2003-10-28 18:47 ]</font>
sinix

Post by sinix »

I'm such a whore... I went out a grabbed it right away. It sounds great, good job Creamware. Time for a new toy anyway. :wink:

Yeah, there's a lot of cool native VSTi synths out right now and on the way, but there's one thing for sure.

I'd rather support Creamware than those guys! :grin:

Who's going to update SFP and make better devices? Those VSTi developers? Nooo... heh.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

For any of you who are unfamiliar with the original synth, there's a great resource page at:
<a href="http://www.overacker.com/ody/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.overacker.com/ody/index.html</a>
This has the original manual, loads of patch pages from the patch books that were published, a history of the synth, and lots else besides. Really nicely put together as well.

Also, there's an Oddysey discussion group at:
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/odysseypatch/" target="_blank">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/odysseypatch/</a>

Cheers,
Ben

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben Walker on 2003-10-29 04:19 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben Walker on 2003-10-29 04:20 ]</font>
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

On 2003-10-28 19:16, sinix wrote:
I'm such a whore... I went out a grabbed it right away. It sounds great, good job Creamware. Time for a new toy anyway. :wink:

Yeah, there's a lot of cool native VSTi synths out right now and on the way, but there's one thing for sure.

I'd rather support Creamware than those guys! :grin:

Who's going to update SFP and make better devices? Those VSTi developers? Nooo... heh.

I agree. If you need something like this then support CW. The price ain't bad.

You synth guys get all the cool stuff :smile:
inDSP Frank
Creamware Founder

Post by inDSP Frank »

"yet another VY synth"... take a close look at the Prodyssey, this machine is really pretty different from minimax, Pro One etc and delivers a wide range of sounds not available on the other synths. This is why we chose the Odyssey.

"old vs. new" I believe both concepts are valid, that's why we try to serve them both. Great to get support from people like Adern with their great Flexor.

Greetings, Frank
proximo

Post by proximo »

On 2003-10-28 14:44, kensuguro wrote:
dunno if it's the demo, but it sounds pretty bland to me... or is it just me? well, atleast it's antialiased. I must be getting old. all these analogue synths are starting sound all the same.
Well they all the same cause they are NOT analog, period.
Even though Creamware does the best souding synth (and other dev. like John Bowen, sorry the one I forgot) in the market (I really think so, I own Minimax) .. VA will still sound digital.
with or without anti-aliasing, calibration or whaterver.
Get yourself a cheap analog gear from the 80's (VCO or DCO) and you will be suprised beleave me, there's no plugin that can match.
Again, creamware VA synth do sound fantastic compare to other plug and hardware.
The other day I tried to understand what made the difference, so I created a patch on my MKS-80 (double saw detune) and made is run through an arpeggio (hear those typical 80's arpeggio).
then I opened all filter and envelopes (VCF, VCA) to let just the VCO go thru and connected the audio signal to a small ModularIII patch with VCF (4 Poles) + vintage ADSR + VCA vintage ADSR, then recreated the same patch and rerun the arpeggio .. and my MKS-80 sounded ... digital, just like a good VA plugin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: proximo on 2003-10-29 08:37 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, I think we should commend the new addition to the synth palette tho. Let's not do the whole analog vs digital thing again. It's often the demo that's quite misleading, as was with six-string. I thought it was a joke, but after I got it and started really incorporating into my projects, that's when it started working for me. The instruments are quite versatile and it's in actual use that its true potential is brought out. I'm looking forward to hear user demos and user reviews on this.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

The Prodyssey really fills a gap between Minimax and Pro One, that's why we created it. It's capable of all those experimental sounds one might miss with the Minimax or the Pro One. And I think our synths sound a lot better - not just a little bit - than the plug-ins from the vst side. Listening to our synths is like you have taken the red pill, you just cannot go back anymore :smile:

Best, Matthias/Creamware.
hubird

Post by hubird »

On 2003-10-29 08:20, proximo wrote:
The other day I tried to understand what made the difference, so I created a patch on my MKS-80 ..........
Proximo, you would do us a great favor if you could upload both files.
You could change between them every 2 bars, and let it go for a while (constructing this in an audio editor).
I'm not doubting your findings, I just like to hear the difference.
cheerz :smile:
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

What is it that you are dying to see released from Creamware? Do you want more focus on physical modeling?
I'm always looking for good-sounding piano. So far, the only I'm satisfied with is PMI Bosendorfer for Giga. That's BIG!
How about more development of sampling technologies?
Well, support for Giga files would be nice :wink:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I love VA synths, especially CW ones, but I already have about 20 and really that's plenty. In fact I probably have 17 too many.

I find that good patch programming will take you a lot further than a huge range of different synths none of which you know deeply, and different only in nuances that you'll probably be too unfamilar with to take true advantage of.

What I'd love to see on SFP is something more like Absynth - something with multi-stage BPM-sync envelopes for starters.

Something really unique. A concept that you can say with real admiration and excitement "what a great idea!" rather than just "oh yeah, that was a pretty good piece of hardware".

As usual this new machine looks good, the demos sound good, and I'm sure it is good. CW always delivers quality products. But I'm still waiting for the next one.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Hi Matthias & Frank

Nice to see you guys around these parts again :smile:

I appreciate you guys are busy with new products, but do you think you could find the time somewhere along the line to fix the bugs in Modular3 ?

It's really starting to harm our Creamware Modular community :sad:

Please see this thread for details:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=9&50

peace