Project crashes SFP 3.1c

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

es1276

Post by es1276 »

SFP 3.1c is unable to load my current recording project.
In most cases the software crashes.
Sometimes I´m able to load the project, but DSP-load doesn´t show the correct work load (only one or two digits).
When this happens the ASIO an wave ports cannot be found by Logic or any host application.
All other projects work.
Last thing I did was connecting my A16 via ADAT.
It worked and I saved and closed my project.
When I tried to load the project today, the project crashes SFP or doesn´t work.

Some time ago I had some DSP overloads in this project, that caused similar problems, but after I removed some modules and restarted windows, it worked.

I reinstalled SFP3.1 without removing the old version, but the problem is still there.
I use WindowsXP and Pulsar II hardware.

I use the following modules/devices:

Mixer 2496
Sampler STS 3000
Pulsar Reverb from Effects Package
Exciter/Bassenhancer from "Steckenleiter.de"
MiniDrumplayer x8
ADAT IOs
Analog and SPDIF IOs.

What can I do to recover my project ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: es1276 on 2003-06-21 07:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: es1276 on 2003-06-21 07:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: es1276 on 2003-06-21 07:27 ]</font>
grotools

Post by grotools »

have you tried this ?

(i read that the project loads sometimes in your setup so this tip could be helpful)

STEP 1 : if the project loads, you should be able to save a few presets of your devices. SO you can remove one of the big dev (a synth, a big effect) after you saved the preset for your song. Then, you delete this dev from your project, and save the project with another name. (Recover-A.pro)
That, way, the project will use less dsp when reloaded !

STEP 2 : Now, record some tracks of your project, save presets and remove the devices, and load the one you deleted in first step : load it preset, record to audio, save the project with another name (recover-B.pro)

Now you recorded many devices that took dsp, you can remove them and continue your project (save the project with deleted devices to be able to come back) (songname-phase2-01.pro )

i hope it helps.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: grotools on 2003-06-17 10:42 ]</font>
es1276

Post by es1276 »

Thanks for your hints but it didn´t help.
I´ve already removed the devices that caused the overload, but the project still shows unrealistic DSP load and doesn´t work with ASIO or wave.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: es1276 on 2003-06-21 07:28 ]</font>
grotools

Post by grotools »

oh, if it's an old project may be change all the modules (asio wave etc)... if it doesn't work i don't see... normaly, this trick or the one above will work ...
es1276

Post by es1276 »

No, no it´s not an old project.
I´ve rebuilt the whole project tonight using screenshots and presets etc.
I think the problem is my A16.
It seems to me, that if the ADAT connection is not installed, while the project is being loaded, or if there´s something wrong with the snyc (master/slave settings), the project crashes while loading or the software I/O doesn´t work and the DSP meter shows nosense.
Let´s see what tomorrow will bring.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Are you sure that your A16 is ALWAYS switched on when you start your computer?
I've had a similar problem a while ago. When my Fostex VC-8 was switched off (it's connected via ADAT with my Pulsar), I had lots of trouble.
Did you set Pulsar to slave and the A16 to master?
If Pulsar doesn't find any master, it will be very confused.
Good luck, Thomas
es1276

Post by es1276 »

Dear Thomas,
the fan of the A16 is very noisy.
So I do not switch it on any time I start my computer.
The A16 was the problem!
Either it was set to a different sampling rate than the Pulsar, or it was sitched off, when I tried to load the project.
This problem is gone but now I´ve got another one:
During my recording session the A16 started crackling and after a few minutes it went worse and worse.
The A16 is set as master with 44.1kHz and the Pulsar as slave.
When the crackles started the ADAT A light in Pulsar´s sampling rate menu became flashing.
I´ve tried some changes with the sampling rate, with the A16 at 48 kHz and Pulsar as slave an it worked !
Don´t ask me why.
Then I switched back to 44.1 kHz and my problem is was gone for the moment, but after a reboot, it is still there.
This happens only with ADAT A.
What magic is this ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: es1276 on 2003-06-23 04:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: es1276 on 2003-06-27 04:20 ]</font>
TRMP8R

Post by TRMP8R »

If you're using ADAT option on A16, best to also use Wordclock as the timebase. Assuming you have the SCOPE Sync Card as well.

Or try setting your Pulsar to master and slave your A16 through the Z-Link cable.

Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs.